Is there a way to boot Windows 8 (RTM) to the desktop?

If you make a .scf file and place this into it:

[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop

This will goto the Desktop. If this were inserted in the startup sequence somehow? I don't have RTM so I can't test it.

Stop feeding the trolls guys.

If you make a .scf file and place this into it:

[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop

This will goto the Desktop. If this were inserted in the startup sequence somehow? I don't have RTM so I can't test it.

Stop feeding the trolls guys.

I tried to throw the file I made in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Start Menu\Startup but no dice on reboot. Strange that from the Task Manager you can disable startup items but can't add them (unless I'm missing something...).

Have you tried tossing it in via the registry in the Run area? Just point to it and it should run on boot.

I think it would have to somehow be run as the very last thing on boot... I'll give it a try.

"Start8" from Stardock still works. Using it on Win8 RTM as we speak.

I just wish there was a way to get the "old" start menu back.

For the "best of both worlds" approach, Classic Shell is what you need. It restores the Start button and gives you back

your traditional, classic, and fully customisable Start Menu. The "Modern UI" Start Screen is still available and is not

disabled by Classic Shell, It gives you the option to autoload the Desktop, although you still see the Start screen.

Ok, well this worked on the Consumer Preview. I'm not sure about RTM.

Make a .scf file and add the following:

[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop

Add the path to the .scf file to this registry key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

In the last spot.

The Modern-UI screen will still show up but the desktop will automatically pop up shortly after.

Ok, well this worked on the Consumer Preview. I'm not sure about RTM.

Make a .scf file and add the following:

[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop

Add the path to the .scf file to this registry key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

In the last spot.

The Modern-UI screen will still show up but the desktop will automatically pop up shortly after.

Apparently they disabled that function for the RTM to make it as hard as possible for people to bypass the start screen.

I don't currently have RTM (on a hiatus between contracts so no access to software) so I can't test if that reg entry works or not. I was hoping it would though...

I believe Microsoft closed the RegEdit entry.

lol, already done mate, but not with start8 because it's crap (unless they fixed it since the last time I used it).

You should never dis another man's apps, that **** is getting personal lol.

Still, one man's junk is another man's treasure.

I'm not a fan of having startup apps. I'd rather open them up individually after boot, so they're not bogging down my system. I never understood why anyone needs that to happen, but to each their own.

I installed Classic Shell, and that boots me straight to the desktop on RTM ... :)