Is there a way to boot Windows 8 (RTM) to the desktop?

I know there were "hacks" available for the Release Preview etc.

Do these hacks work? Are they even needed? (or did Microsoft include an option in the RTM)

MSFT included no option to boot directly to desktop from what im aware of, goes straight to modern-ui.

I know they didnt in the RP and from what I have read it is not in the RTM.

And yeah people have used the hacks and they have worked perfectly in the RP but in RTM I dont think they work based on some comments on winunleaked

It's one click to go to the desktop. Once its loaded don't reboot the PC anymore unless it's for updates; put it to sleep instead.

Problem solved.

It's one click to go to the desktop. Once its loaded don't reboot the PC anymore unless it's for updates; put it to sleep instead.

Problem solved.

I see no option anywhere to put the PC to sleep. Searching the full screen Start menu for "Sleep" produces no results.

Also, it's not one click. First you have to "sign in" and then you click to go to the Desktop. Sure, you can use netplwiz to disable requiring a password, but I would still rather skip the full screen Start menu.

I haven't used it but I believe Stardock has a free utility that allows you to boot straight to the desktop?

A password was mandatory during installation!

What version of Windows 8 did you install? None of the versions I've installed (CP-RP-RTM) have had a mandatory password during installation.

"Start8" from Stardock still works. Using it on Win8 RTM as we speak.

I just wish there was a way to get the "old" start menu back.

Ooh, I'll give that a whirl :) Thanks.

I haven't used it but I believe Stardock has an app that allows you to boot straight to the desktop?

What version of Windows 8 did you install? None of the versions I've installed (CP-RP-RTM) have had a mandatory password during installation.

When you install the RTM, it asks you to sign in to your MIcrosoft Account.

It then uses that as a PC login.

To be fair you can set a "PIN" instead of using your password... that's what I do since my Live password is a randomly generated strong password that I would never remember lol

yes it asks if you want to use that but there's still an option down in the corner (forget what the option is exactly, it's like customize or something) that gives you the choice of using a local account

Ah, I never logged in with a Microsoft account, I just used a local account.

You can create a local account, that will log on automatically. It says so on the same screen.

Classic Shell 3.51 also has the option to bypass the "Start" screen and go directly to the desktop... along with giving you a fairly functional start menu to boot.

I have not played around with it too much though, loaded it while I was playing with Windows 8 in a Virtual Machine yesterday.

There are a few ways to do this.. some of which are posted here. One involves creating a task that will launch automatically after login (which you can also set to do automatically, the login).. Another being the move the desktop tile to the top trick.

It is not mandatory. If you look carefully enough, it will ask you at the left corner if you want to use a local account.

Anyways, if you want auto-login do this:

Open Run (Winkey + r)

Type "control userpasswords2" without commas and with the space.

Uncheck "Users must enter a name and password to use this computer."

Press "OK"

Put your password.

Voil?

A password was mandatory during installation!

There are local policy settings available to allow blank passwords. I see your point, though. You can't count that against the time it takes to get to the desktop because it's mandatory by default.

If you are not connected to a network during setup it will create a local account instead, I'm not sure if it requires a password TBH because I restarted after I realized that so I could use the MS account.

OFMG, the title of the thread is

Is there a way to boot Windows 8 (RTM) to the desktop?

not, ask me why I want to go to the desktop, or bitch about me wanting the desktop, or tell me how simple it is to click on the button to go to the desktop. or complain that the person doesn't like the craptastic metro junk.

To actually ANSWER your question, I've found that replacing

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

"Shell"=explorer.exe

with

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

"Shell"="explorer.exe /select,explorer.exe

Still works in the RTM x64 Pro version of Windows 8 to force the start screen to close and your desktop to open on bootup.

Still works in the RTM x64 Pro version of Windows 8 to force the start screen to close and your desktop to open on bootup.

Just tried this, and it flashed in the classic shell, then went to modern, then back to classic opening my libraries window.

Any chance that it can just show the classic shell, but not the libraries window?

Great tip though, thanks. (Y)

I'd recommend Tihiy's mod that allows you to use the 7 explorer in Windows 8, whilst retaining the explorer ribbon but putting the start button back and bypassing the start screen completely. Since version 0.3 the grey taskbar bug is fixed it's well worth using.

Step 1: Place desktop tile in position 1 on the start screen (very upper left)

Step 2: Type in password as normal

Step 3: Press and hold the enter key.

You will completely bypass the start screen and will immediately see the desktop

DONE