Help, new IT call center job

Hello, I'm having an interview tomorrow in a Call Center for IT position. This is my first real interview I've ever had, I've only worked as a computer technician in a local shop and as a freelancer online. A friend of mine made this possible, he said they have good staff there but also accept beginners.

I just want to know what I should prepare for? I assume everything it has to do is with networking and such. I know a bit about networking but I've never delved into it enough. Anyone has any experience or know what topics they might ask me about so I can at least read a bit and make a decent impression?

I would focus on customer support more than tech experience. They can teach you that or you can learn it on site, its very hard to teach good customer service. If you have a face to face interview I'm sure they realize that you have the IT experience (most of the time).

Be honest and if you are nervous and it starts affecting you during the interview just be honest and say that you are nervous and super excited about the job and you really want it.

I'm just nervous if they will ask me about network related technical stuff and I won't be able to answer properly... I'm sure I can do good on the customer service side. I have a computer networks exam later this year (I'm in computer engineering degree, the book is from Tanebaum) but I'm just starting to read it thoroughly from the beginning so I don't know the theory that well.

I'm probably just being overcautious, my friend said they are getting plenty of beginners lately.

I'm just nervous if they will ask me about network related technical stuff and I won't be able to answer properly... I'm sure I can do good on the customer service side. I have a computer networks exam later this year (I'm in computer engineering degree, the book is from Tanebaum) but I'm just starting to read it thoroughly from the beginning so I don't know the theory that well.

I'm probably just being overcautious, my friend said they are getting plenty of beginners lately.

Well find out some background about the company, who do they support, do they support home users or specific companies, if specific companies, find out who and the type of systems they will be calling about

Make sure you know everything that is on your resume....

A guy came in had "network topology" on his resume. I asked him "what is network topology", he says "uh oh uh whats that?" I said, "I don't know, you have it on your resume so please explain it". He gave an acceptable answer, the rest of the interview was ok for what we are looking for but don't put down exchange 2003 when you have no experience with it other than school 6 years ago.

Hello, I'm having an interview tomorrow in a Call Center for IT position. This is my first real interview I've ever had, I've only worked as a computer technician in a local shop and as a freelancer online. A friend of mine made this possible, he said they have good staff there but also accept beginners.

I just want to know what I should prepare for? I assume everything it has to do is with networking and such. I know a bit about networking but I've never delved into it enough. Anyone has any experience or know what topics they might ask me about so I can at least read a bit and make a decent impression?

I have worked in a few tech support positions and general call centre positions and the interviews are generally the same.

• Know the supported product! Obviously they dont expect you to know everything about there product and the procedures but show that you know about the general area the product is in ie hardware, software, general computing stuff. You will more than likely be asked about skills and hobbies so stick any computing knowledge in there! :)
  • Know the company, if its an outsourcing agent know what other products they support, general info, big them up if asked of course. They may ask How did you hear about us, what makes you want to work here.

Possible Questions

• Name a time you have delivered excellent customer service
  • Name a time you have had to work as a team
  • Name a time you have had to deal with a difficult situation
  • Name a time you have gone above and beyond to deliver good customer service
  • How would you go about keeping informed of supported products updates (or something like that, internal news system, or companies website etc etc)
  • Name a time you had to deal with criticism and how did you react

Notice all the questions are directed towards the customer service aspect and not the technical aspect. Thats what most call centre tech support jobs focus on, if you have a good telephone manner, good speaking manner thats all theyc are about really as the knowledge will come through training.

EDIT: OH i dont know if this will be useful but some keywords that they like to hear. Service level in regards to the work as a team. Work as a team to acheive a good Service level, ie amount of calls answered to amount of calls queuing.

ACW or after call work. Generally after a call you might have to finish typing some stuff up for a customers file, ACW is good to keep to a minimum as it affects your daily report.

Hope that helps, any more questions fire them my way as I have gone through this process a few times :D