Reality check - Windows 8 was not made for you

• Please log in to reply
308 replies to this topic

#1 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:41

I keep reading about some peoples displeasure with the direction Microsoft is going with Windows 8,mostly coming from so called "power users", or people who use professional content creation software. Well, if you haven't figured it out yet, Windows 8 was not made for these people. Maybe Windows 9 will address their concerns. This segment makes up a small percentage of Windows users,that the focus right now is not on them. The focus is on the general consumer who uses their computer to consume content. The focus is on businesses who are migrating to tablet computers,and can use the same software seamlessly on their desktops and tablets without rewriting and porting code,and not having to actually upgrade their hardware. This is a big deal.

The Ipad is proof that people like this direction computing is moving towards. What makes you think people are buying ipads? Businesses migrating to ipads? Is it not because they dont have to **** around with dlls,scattered files hell,inconsistent installers,rogue applications,toolbars,malware,memory hogs,incompatible software,sourcing software,computer slow downs?

Yes, Winrt is not there yet in terms of having the ability to cater to all types of applications. But Windows 8 is not the final version of Windows 8, or the final version of windows period. Eventually it will evolve to incorporate all these shortcomings,but at the moment, the focus is meeting the needs of the general consumer which makes up a huge chunk of windows users. And if the consumer still needs some software that needs win32,well guess what, the desktop is still there for backwards compatibility.

I've seen alot of bitching about the start menu,and in all the years ive repaired computers,i havent seen many people show a hint that they even know how the start menu even works. They mostly have their applications sitting on the desktop,with all their pictures and mp3s. Dont you think Microsoft did studies on how general computer users use their computers? Do you think one day a Microsoft executive said "hey,lets **** around with these guys and lets remove the start menu"?

Yeah some people wont like windows 8,namely "power users" who like to have 3 or more apps open at the same time switching between them,big software developers who've been charging high prices for software with little competition, software developers with their own applications/games stores.

People who will love Windows 8: The general computer consumer. Lots of software to choose from that can be downloaded from one central location without having to worry too much about malware. Files are organized. Music is in music,pictures are in pictures. Fast boot times. Beautiful interface. Consistent UI. No toolbars,or popups,or errors.

Windows 8 is a paradigm shift in computing,and we are all watching history right before our eyes.

Got yer copy? ;)

#2 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:51

Power users have this weird sense of entitlement, and I wish I knew where it came from. I see it everyday on here and at work. I also have q few friends who are so animate about desktop computing, that they'll yell at the kids they see with smartphones and iPads.

I also had a college professor who taught a Windows class who used to rant and rant all the time about the GUI, and how modern computing is plain ****.

I simply don't get it.

#3 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:55

I'm on the RP right now (waiting until I can get a key for RTM when it's available) and heck I still use multiple apps at once. I jump in and out of the start screen & Modern apps back to the desktop on a regular basis.

I'm used to this from having used Windows Phone for so long now. I don't mind hopping in and out of apps.

#4 nekkidtruth

nekkidtruth

I'm sorry, do you still exist?

• Phone: Stock LG Nexus 5

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:59

Reality check - Power users are Windows users too and have just as much right to an opinion as you do. Regardless whether you agree with them or not. Just as some **** and moan that power users have some false sense of entitlement, so do those who like Windows 8. It's a giant hypocrisy to be frank. Stick to your opinion, and stop trying to force it down everyone else's throat. I think we have enough of these "If you don't like Windows 8, you're an idiot! And here's why..." threads. Just as we have way too many "If you like Windows 8, you're an idiot! And here's why..." threads.

Waste of Internet space.

#5 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• Tech Issues Solved: 21

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:59

Powerusers? The Start Screen accepts command line arguments FFS. The OS comes with Powershell bundled.

Sure, these people are power users. Just like Andrea Borman. :rolleyes:

#6 alwaysonacoffebreak

alwaysonacoffebreak

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:30

I'm really tired of reading topics from day to day about people complaining metro/modern etc.

Of course you can have your opinion, I also got my own, but we already got like 10's of topics about it, why do you feel the need to create a new one? (Kinda ironic isn't it :D )

Now for the people who don't like Windows 8 or won't use it:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

http://software.opensuse.org/121/en

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

http://www.microsoft....mc_id=WOL_shop

http://www.apple.com/osx/ (Find tutorials yourself since you're an "power user" anyway right?)

And there are tons and tons more Linux/BSD distros out there, stop with the whining already, no-one is forcing you to use it and if enough people will skip W8 microsoft will do something about it (I doubt they'll remove metro but will make it more user friendly)

#7 Kaze23

Kaze23

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:32

I swear, Windows 8 has more detractors than Vista had, and it's not even commercially available yet.

#8 nekkidtruth

nekkidtruth

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:33

So...because you were tired of all the threads...you created a new one?

That's not ironic. That's silly. The "reality" is, no one gives a rats behind whether you like Windows 8 or not, nor whether you think someone should or not. Reality is fun!

#9 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:34

Who cares? If people don't want to use Windows 8 there's nothing forcing them to. Windows 7 is widely available and they probably already have it.

Let them continue to use it and we'll use 8 and nobody loses.

#10 alwaysonacoffebreak

alwaysonacoffebreak

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:34

No the reality is, I don't give a rats ass what your think about it. I don't use it but at least I don't go around whining in every f*cking topic like a little b*tch about it.

#11 briango

briango

Neowinian

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:37

Powerusers? The Start Screen accepts command line arguments FFS. The OS comes with Powershell bundled.

Sure, these people are power users. Just like 'the name we do not speak'. :rolleyes:

I didn't know who she was till now. Thanks a lot. For the sake of others, can you please edit your post and change her name to ... Jessica Alba.

#12 Tech085

Tech085

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:37

waa waa

#13 nekkidtruth

nekkidtruth

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:39

No the reality is, I don't give a rats ass what your think about it. I don't use it but at least I don't go around whining in every f*cking topic like a little b*tch about it.

No, you just start an entirely new thread to add to the hundreds of others instead of adding to the ones that already exist like what you have to say is more important than any of the others.

Even better. *rolls eyes* And to boot you stole part of the title from one that was made just before yours which makes you look even more like the tool you surely are.

#14 UXGaurav

UXGaurav

Tried Classic Shell? It has 15 million+ downloads & growing

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:43

It wasn't made for you, it was made for your grandma by Miss grandma aka Julie Green at MS. :p

#15 alwaysonacoffebreak

alwaysonacoffebreak

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:44

A tool I am? So now we're going to personal insults? Who's the tool right here?