Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elliot B.

uk [UK] Apple TV, WD TV Live or Roku 2 XS?

5 posts in this topic

Unsure which to go for!

WD TV Live Streaming - ?74

Has all the main online services (Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube, TuneIn etc.)

Roku 2 XS - ?100

Has less online services than WD TV Live.

Apple TV (3rd gen.) - ?99

Has slightly more online services than the Roku 2 XS, but also compatible with AirPlay with my iPhone.

It seems to me the WD TV Live is the best, but I'm here to ask for opinions, suggestions, thoughts on the whole subject etc.

I bought a D-Link Boxee Box because it streams anything and everything. I am not sure exactly what you are wanting to do but you might want to look into that. The only bad thing is it doesn't have Hulu. Which isn't a problem for me because I don't use it.

When apple tv 3 gets jailbroken you will be able to load xmbc on that and do 1080P content.

I've been looking at all the options you have listed there, including the Boxee Box. In the end I went with the WD T`V Live because 1) it's cheaper, and 2) it does more than I need it to. It connects to my computers and NAS really quickly and streams anything without buffering (on wireless).

Lovely device. Would buy it again just to support them, but they've got more than enough riches.

I bought a D-Link Boxee Box because it streams anything and everything. I am not sure exactly what you are wanting to do but you might want to look into that. The only bad thing is it doesn't have Hulu. Which isn't a problem for me because I don't use it.

When apple tv 3 gets jailbroken you will be able to load xmbc on that and do 1080P content.

The box will only be used for Internet applications/streaming, not local content.

I've been looking at all the options you have listed there, including the Boxee Box. In the end I went with the WD T`V Live because 1) it's cheaper, and 2) it does more than I need it to. It connects to my computers and NAS really quickly and streams anything without buffering (on wireless).

Lovely device. Would buy it again just to support them, but they've got more than enough riches.

How do you enter text? SMS-style on the remote control? Via. Bluetooth keyboard support?

The box will only be used for Internet applications/streaming, not local content.

How do you enter text? SMS-style on the remote control? Via. Bluetooth keyboard support?

Yeah, like on a Xbox or Playstation pretty much. And I don't know if it supports Bluetooth keyboards to be honest, and I don't have any to try it out for you. :(