Is Microsoft Silverlight supported on Windows 8?

Hey guys :)

I am trying to find out if Microsoft Silverlight is able to run on Windows 8?

Reason I am asking is because I could swear I read once that Microsoft Silverlight will not be needed on Windows 8 because of something new that was going to be used in its place.

Was I just dreaming?

Thanks

When i installed Windows 8 RTM i hit windows update and the only update was in fact installing Silverlight lol

As others have said Silverlight is supported but it is now a legacy framework. Microsoft are pushing HTML5 and WinRT as a replacement.

So what you are saying is Silverlight will install on Windows 8 and of course is needed for for web sites that still use it. But there may be a time in the near future when most web sites stop using Silverlight completely and use HTML5 and WinRT instead. And when that day comes there may be no need to install Silverlight any longer.

Correct?

Also does Silverlight like Flash Player also now come built in to Windows 8?

Or do you still have to install it manually?

You have to install it manually.

Also does Silverlight like Flash Player also now come built in to Windows 8?

Or do you still have to install it manually?

you have to install Sliver-light

and No , flash are there only for Metro IE whitelist

So what you are saying is Silverlight will install on Windows 8 and of course is needed for for web sites that still use it. But there may be a time in the near future when most web sites stop using Silverlight completely and use HTML5 and WinRT instead. And when that day comes there may be no need to install Silverlight any longer.

Correct?

Silverlight as a web plugin will work in IE10 on the desktop (and other desktop browsers), it does not work in the new non-desktop IE10 (which doesn't support plugins at all). WinRT is different, it's not a plugin for web browsers but rather a way to make apps for Windows 8. They are related from a programmer's perspective in that they are based on similar technology, which makes it easier for programmers who know Silverlight programming to learn Windows 8 app programming, and makes it easier to convert Silverlight apps/sites into Windows 8 apps. (Windows Phone apps are also based on similar technology). But if you're not a programmer, the underlying technology probably doesn't affect you directly and so these things don't have much to do with each other from your perspective, in terms of how you get them they are still separate. WinRT is built into Windows 8, Silverlight you have to download and install.

In terms of the future, while Microsoft will still offer and support the current version of Silverlight for a long time (until 2020 IIRC), they probably won't be making any new versions with major improvements as they are concentrating on Windows 8+ / Windows Phone apps and HTML websites that don't require plugins instead. So you will probably see fewer websites using Silverlight over time as it becomes more "outdated".