Just bought my first Mac!

If you or others find Finder too "basic", I can recommend Path Finder by Cocoatech: http://cocoatech.com. It was designed for this purpose -- to be a "powerful Finder". The site seems to be down right now though, but they are "alive" and have updated it for Mountain Lion. They're running a blog here: http://cocoatechblog.wordpress.com. Here's a review with screenshots: http://mac.appstorm....ith-the-finder/

Just tried Pathfinder. Seems like a pretty good alternative to Finder, but the one thing that makes it a no-go is that it needlessly switches to the dedicated graphics card as long as it is running. So in the end, I'll end up taking a hit on battery life.

Just tried Pathfinder. Seems like a pretty good alternative to Finder, but the one thing that makes it a no-go is that it needlessly switches to the dedicated graphics card as long as it is running. So in the end, I'll end up taking a hit on battery life.

The latest beta apparently fixes that:

I hear comments like this alot from people who use Macs but haven't paid for them.

And the reason for that is that the brain has this built in logical fallacy it holds on to to reinforce past decisions. If I spent a thousand dollars on a turd, I'd find ways to justify it too :)

*looks around*

I feel like I'm not welcome here >.>

I bought my first Mac about 7 weeks back. Initially I wasn't overly impressed so I thought I'd give it a few more weeks. It's a decent OS but not as groundbreaking or 'advanced' as they claim.

How do you like the retina display? I need a laptop for work, and looking at another MacBook since I just sold my MacBook Air to upgrade sometime in the future. I don't know if I want to wait a year for a new one or just get the retina display now.

I must say I am loving it so far. My wife said this to me just the other day about it, again this is our first "mac" computer. We all have iphones, ipads, etc, but she said:

"You know the OS isn't special. I mean it works like Windows for the most part. I click here to get on the web, check email, talk, etc. What makes it special is, the touchpad alone, with all the gestures you have, I never want to use a mouse again. Oh and how fast it boots up and wakes from sleep, thats what makes this thing magic"

I am REALLY thinking about using boot camp to install Windows 7 on it as well, so I can get rid of my desktop. What do you guys think? Is it hard to do?

I bought my first Mac about 7 weeks back. Initially I wasn't overly impressed so I thought I'd give it a few more weeks. It's a decent OS but not as groundbreaking or 'advanced' as they claim.

What would make it more "advanced", in your opinion?

Bootcamp's easy, just run it and install windows and it'll install the drivers.

Unless you want triple boot with multiple windows/linux installs then you'll need rEFIt and to install XP on the 4th partition first and to get gptsync, etc.

I can't see anyone who has posted in this thread yet, but I think the dock you may be thinking of is one of these: http://www.hengedocks.com/ I myself, have been very tempted to get one of these, but I already have a home theatre, so this wouldn't be necessary for me.

yeah that henge dock is nice. Thats the one I was thinking of getting. I also was looking at the Clique keyboard/trackpad connector, but have heard bad things as far as the trackpad sticking, so I think I am going to order the Meshwe Bluefin http://www.amazon.com/MeshWe-Bluefin-Seamlessly-apple-white/dp/B006M7IDTA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=5E4E6BQI2J5E&coliid=I1BBNWCVHGRF4O

As far as the docking. I actually have an old laptop stand that lets the screen sit up a little higher, and decided just to dual screen it. Use my monitor as the primary and the macbook as the secondary screen. Works great.

Really? How is Mission Control/Spaces and touch gestures not groundbreaking? My productivity has gone through the roof with multiple desktops and I rarely use a mouse except when playing games.

But if you are referring to Mountain Lion not being groundbreaking, then I completely agree. ML was nothing more than a service pack for stability and battery life improvements. The notifications bar is useless.

I am REALLY thinking about using boot camp to install Windows 7 on it as well, so I can get rid of my desktop. What do you guys think? Is it hard to do?

Very easy to do with the bootcamp assistant, but I prefer to run Parallels for any Windows needs. Works more seamlessly without having fully boot into the other partition.

• 2 weeks later...

Really? How is Mission Control/Spaces and touch gestures not groundbreaking?

My UX31E had gestures, along with my last few Windows notebooks and Mission Control doesn't bring up minimised windows... What is up with that?!

My UX31E had gestures, along with my last few Windows notebooks and Mission Control doesn't bring up minimised windows... What is up with that?!

Whatever gestures you had is only limited to what Windows is capable of handling. I doubt you had anything close to what the three-finger swipes or Expose offers.

As for the minimized windows, it does allow you to open minimized windows, but it will take you back to the desktop space that it was opened rather than directly into the current. I agree that this behavior could be refined.