Windows 8 designers are blind.

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#16 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• Tech Issues Solved: 76

Posted 18 August 2012 - 13:51

Smaller title bar font (9 pt instead of 10 pt) + a slightly slimmer title bar.

SNAG-0001.png

;)

#17 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 18 August 2012 - 13:53

Now would you look at that. I haven't come across that option yet.. my bad. :$

#18 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 18 August 2012 - 13:54

I was going to post "BAM!".

That's a nice find O.o

#19 Luke777

Luke777

Neowinian

Posted 18 August 2012 - 14:03

Well, as a user of dark wallpaper, that's problem for me too but wasn't it that way on transparent+glow as well? It's barely readable when it's just the wallpaper behind it. In Windows 8, I just used the black taskbar + white borders/titlebar and moved on :p

Well. see the picture, you can read the black text because of the white glow behind/around the black text in msn window.

Attached Images

• win8.jpg

#20 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 18 August 2012 - 14:03

@ Neo - Would the regedit script you posted be safe to run on the RP?

#21 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 18 August 2012 - 14:05

Complaining about thing's that aren't aligned to the search box might mean something if they were meant to be, but they weren't :p The search box spacing from the edge matches the other spacings between the boxes in that row - it's not meant to line up with the scrollbar, and I don't see why should it. It's how it's meant to be frankly.

#22 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• Tech Issues Solved: 76

Posted 18 August 2012 - 14:10

@ Neo - Would the regedit script you posted be safe to run on the RP?

Yes, that's where I started using it. Do backup the (original) whole key tree first though (WindowMetrics).

It shows after a restart.

#23 Descartes

Descartes

Neowinian

Posted 18 August 2012 - 14:26

I agree, the 1 pixel stuff really irks me. It's not that I notice it during daily usage but it makes everything look a bit rushed. :/

EDIT: Which reminded me of the stuttering busy cursor in Windows 7.

#24 OP SubZenit

SubZenit

Neowinian

Posted 18 August 2012 - 14:38

I agree, the 1 pixel stuff really irks me. It's not that I notice it during daily usage but it makes everything look a bit rushed. :/

EDIT: Which reminded me of the stuttering busy cursor in Windows 7.

I remember back in the days when Windows 7 build 7000 had the "Send feedback" link right on the title border of the windows, I'm wondering what was so hard to include it in developer & release preview so that they can fix their ****ty effects.

#25 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 18 August 2012 - 14:39

POPULAR

One of the problems with Microsoft is the lack of UI consistency across product teams. Take a look at the following screenshot:

Posted Image

Four MS programs, four ever so slightly different UIs. How hard can it be to design a consistent HIG for Windows and all first-party applications, and force the various units within Microsoft to adhere to it?

#26 Mohitster

Mohitster

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 525

Posted 18 August 2012 - 14:51

One of the problems with Microsoft is the lack of UI consistency across product teams. Take a look at the following screenshot:

Posted Image

Four MS programs, four ever so slightly different UIs. How hard can it be to design a consistent HIG for Windows and all first-party applications, and force the various units within Microsoft to adhere to it?

Superlike it!! This point needs to get across. Microsoft has been just too careless with respect to the implementation of Metro across platforms or software.... They are just sleeping over the laurels which the Metro UI received when first introduced when they should be focusing on making it more refined and flexible for various implementations....

#27 Mark

Mark

(: ollǝɥ

Posted 18 August 2012 - 14:57

This.

I can ignore the little pixel details that are wrong, but I can't ignore almost different UI designs across windows. I think someone spotted a windows 3.11 icon in control panel somewhere in windows 8. Although a single icon isn't going to make a massive difference to the OS as a whole, they could have easily paid a 3rd party, or had an extra internal team working on new icons.

;)

Why do you have aliased curved corners? :|

#28 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 18 August 2012 - 15:08

The Windows interface is an inconsistent jumbled mess of different styles and sub styles.

#29 Descartes

Descartes

Neowinian

Posted 18 August 2012 - 15:10

Posted Image

I couldn't agree with you more.

It was a huge issue back in Windows Vista, then in Windows 7 they partially fixed it. Now even though it's not as bad as it used to be, there's still room for improvement.

They should look at what Apple has done with Leopard and learn from it. I've never used an Apple product but for what I know at least under this aspect they unarguably excel.

#30 Jeroen S.

Jeroen S.

Neowinian Vigilante

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 18 August 2012 - 15:14

I guess I'll have to add smaller captionbars and whatnot into my Novus theme for Windows 8 >_>