• Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 18 August 2012 - 15:18

Have you all seen the window style for MDI apps in Windows 8? :shifty:

Not yet. Got a screenshot?

#33 x-byte

x-byte

Neowinian

Posted 18 August 2012 - 15:25

I applaud your effort, but in the end this doesn't matter at all. This should be very low on the priority list for MS.

#34 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 August 2012 - 15:25

Not yet. Got a screenshot?

Looks like the Windows 7 Aero Basic theme:

Attached Images

• test.png

#35 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• Tech Issues Solved: 61

Posted 18 August 2012 - 15:27

Why do you have aliased curved corners? :|

I think it's because SnagIt 10.1 does this. I'll see if they have an update.

#36 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 18 August 2012 - 15:28

Looks like the Windows 7 Aero Basic theme:

Oh yuck. :x

#37 Melfster

Melfster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 August 2012 - 15:29

Its not that they blind but they have really given up trying to fix windows desktop for consistency. If you want consistency then the Metro apps are for you.

#38 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 18 August 2012 - 15:30

Its not that they blind but they have really given up trying to fix windows desktop for consistency. If you want consistency then the Metro apps are for you.

Lets not pretend they ever put any serious effort into it to begin with.

#39 MFH

MFH

RAII fanatic

Posted 18 August 2012 - 15:33

Let's not pretend they ever put any serious effort into it to begin with.

THIS!
They put quote a lot of time into the UX Guide for Vista, just to break it within no time...

#40 anidais

anidais

Neowinian

Posted 18 August 2012 - 15:38

Microsoft seems to not care about design. The OP images show some of the "bugs" not fixed in the RTM, but there are more.

For example, command links buttons are still rounded and with gradients; also command links arrows are still the aero ones. In the main control panel window, where it says "View by", if you hover over "Category" the selection button still has rounded corners and a grey gradient (just like in 7). Also in the control panel, the detail pane in some windows (like the program uninstaller) still has the same baby blue gradient as 7. It doesn't stop there though. In IE10 desktop, the manage add-ons window still has a blue gradient near the bottom. Also when you type something in the URL bar and move the keyboard arrow key down, the links hover is still rounded and with a gradient (just like in 7). There are probably more inconsistencies.

When it comes to refined and polished UIs, in my opinion Apple is the winner. I think most of these issues can be fixed with an update, as many just require and edit of the msstyle file, but knowing Microsoft I doubt they even care.

Forgot to mention: the minimize, maximize and close buttons still have the XP-era yellow tooltip.

#41 x-byte

x-byte

Neowinian

Posted 18 August 2012 - 15:54

When it comes to refined and polished UIs, in my opinion Apple is the winner. I think most of these issues can be fixed with an update, as many just require and edit of the msstyle file, but knowing Microsoft I doubt they even care.

I agree Apple is good at polish, but have they ever changed the majority of the design? Too me Mac still looks like something from the 90's :/

#42 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 18 August 2012 - 15:58

I agree Apple is good at polish, but have they ever changed the majority of the design? Too me Mac still looks like something from the 90's :/

Quite a few interface elements in Windows are still actually from the 90s. :p

#43 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 18 August 2012 - 16:01

Apple aren't the masters of UI design, in fact I find the design of OSX to be obnoxious and overly gaudy. Windows 8 for me goes the other way and is just bland and boring. I thought they had a reasonable compromise with Windows 7.

#44 anidais

anidais

Neowinian

Posted 18 August 2012 - 16:01

Well Apple makes small UI changes with each OS release. While OS X is not perfect either, it is more polished and consistent than Windows (whether some people like the OS X theme or not is another matter). Windows 8 brings huge changes to the whole UI, true, but that is no excuse to leave some things incomplete. I mean they've been working on 8 for approximately 3 years (or more) so they've had more than enough time to polish everything.

#45 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 August 2012 - 16:08

Too me Mac still looks like something from the 90's :/

In some ways, OS X is indeed starting to look like Platinum again. :rofl: And of course some of the NextStep UI influences are still there as well. When Aqua, in 2000, was first introduced though it was pretty different from anything that came before it. It's just been toned down a lot over time. More evolution than revolution. And of course nowadays you have the iOS influences, whatever you may think of that...

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!