#31 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 19 August 2012 - 20:30

ok....

Now, please explain your point of view

Free apps, just because they come with an OS doesn't mean they have be ad free really. If they are that's just a bonus but thinking that because you're paying for Windows (the OS) that any free apps they decide to toss in or not should somehow be different because of that fact is, IMO, false. The bundled apps coming from MS are no different in this case than bundled apps coming from the hardware OEM we've been getting for years. Those are often trial versions or free versions with ads and so on.

#32 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 19 August 2012 - 20:42

Defending putting adverts into built in applications in the OS? I've heard it all now.

#33 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 19 August 2012 - 20:48

Defending putting adverts into built in applications in the OS? I've heard it all now.

Well, they're not built in in the sense that Wordpad and Notepad are. They're included when you buy a Windows 8 license, but they're separate store applications, not made by the Windows team - by a different division of Microsoft entirely who have their own balance sheet to keep. They're not parts of Windows, they're just added extras - that can be extremely easily removed, replaced or updated. They're Windows Store applications, not built-in Windows applications.

#34 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 19 August 2012 - 20:52

Except the apps aren't built in, they're preinstalled from the Store. I'm pretty sure you can uninstall them and then reinstall them from the store anytime you want. They're not the same as Paint or Wordpad etc.

Think of it this way, though I doubt it'll matter. Say those apps weren't preinstalled for you on a clean install. Say you then had to go and manually download and install them through the store. Same free apps from MS, ads and all. Would manually getting them change your opinion on this subject? I doubt it, some would still feel the same way because they're from MS and MS shouldn't need ads in it's free apps period.

#35 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 August 2012 - 20:57

Well, they're not built in in the sense that Wordpad and Notepad are. They're included when you buy a Windows 8 license, but they're separate store applications, not made by the Windows team - by a different division of Microsoft entirely who have their own balance sheet to keep. They're not parts of Windows, they're just added extras - that can be extremely easily removed, replaced or updated. They're Windows Store applications, not built-in Windows applications.

This makes a difference to me as a consumer how?

#36 Stoyan Dimitrov

Stoyan Dimitrov

Neowinian

Posted 19 August 2012 - 21:02

is it a US thing?? I just ran all my metro main apps (weather, music etc.) and not a single ad. I scrolled all the way over and still nothing

Maybe if you change the country in the Regional settings you wont see any ads. For example, I live in Bulgaria and I dont see ads in Weather, Music, Video and etc.

It's worth to try :)

#37 MASTER260

MASTER260

Proud Script Kiddie.

Posted 19 August 2012 - 21:06

This if finally catching up with everyone:

#38 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 19 August 2012 - 21:06

This makes a difference to me as a consumer how?

It means you shouldn't be expecting them all to be advertisement free - they're not a part of Windows.

#39 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 August 2012 - 21:23

It means you shouldn't be expecting them all to be advertisement free - they're not a part of Windows.

So not a single one of these apps (except for the Desktop?) is a part of Windows. Am I understanding you correctly? It's all just added extras (that might come with advertisement)?

Attached Images

• weather.png

#40 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 19 August 2012 - 22:36

So not a single one of these apps (except for the Desktop?) is a part of Windows. Am I understanding you correctly? It's all just added extras (that might come with advertisement)?

Yes - excluding the store and IE - none of these are made directly the Windows team - you have Bing, Windows Essentials and Xbox.

I'd expect any app that is delivered through the store - i.e. any WinRT based application baring the store itself - is not a part of Windows. So yes, everything you see there could conceivably come with adverts. Obviously that's not the case, although as things go anything made by the Bing team is more likely to have them vs. anything from the Windows Live Team (so Weather, Sports, Travel, Maps, Finance vs Photos, Message, People & Mail). And the Xbox Live Music & Video applications come with content adverts anyway.

It wouldn't surprise me if we see OEM's play around with which default Metro apps come preinstall with Windows 8 on their machines, you might see more / less advert inclusive applications by default on machines sold directly to end users. (And gathering how tight OEM's are, that'll probably be a yes to more advert supporting apps on prebuilt machines).

#41 +Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi

"You were the chosen one!"

Posted 19 August 2012 - 22:48

Just one more reason I'll never use it. Wow, stooping low there, Microsoft? A bit much? Oh, much too much! (as ace ventura would say)

#42 max22

max22

Neowinian

Posted 19 August 2012 - 22:53

Thank god for ad muncher!

#43 Nadja

Nadja

Neowinian

Posted 19 August 2012 - 23:00

I found a solution:

#44 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 19 August 2012 - 23:08

I love how all the haters in this thread are bashing ads in apps that they swore they'd never use anyway. Why can't you just go back to not using the apps and shut up?

#45 Kyang

Kyang

Posted 19 August 2012 - 23:16

[...]haters[...]bashing ads in apps that they swore they'd never use anyway. Why can't you just go back to not using the apps and shut up?

This isn't a good way to go about this. Not everyone is in that category, and even those that do can't really be told to just "shut up"... :/ .

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!