Photo

Windows 8 start: can you explain this?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

Neowinian

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:04

they only dont work because the screen resolution is to low, its not to do with your netbook, u may as well stick to windows 7 if ur just gonna put the startmenu back in

But you don't need the Metro apps on Windows 8. You can use all of the non Metro software you use on Windows 7. Most software is non Metro anyway. Andrea Borman.

#17 grayscale

grayscale

Neowinian

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:12

Yes, it's annoying that Chrome always opens in Metro when you set it as the default browser. Hopefully they'll be a option to turn the Metro version off, for now the only solution is to set IE as your default browser.

For now, yes, but Google will most likely put the option to always open links on the Desktop version (like in IE10) before or slightly after the October 26.

#18 grayscale

grayscale

Neowinian

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:16

But you don't need the Metro apps on Windows 8. You can use all of the non Metro software you use on Windows 7. Most software is non Metro anyway. Andrea Borman.

He's merely explaining that using a netbook doesn't mean you can't run Metro apps. The screen resolution is the one that determines that. Netbooks can run Metro apps as long as they meet the screen resolution requirements.

<snipped out quote from a removed post>

Edited by Calum, 20 August 2012 - 10:50.

#19 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

Neowinian

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:23

For now, yes, but Google will most likely put the option to always open links on the Desktop version (like in IE10) before or slightly after the October 26.

Well I don't have IE10 on Windows 8 because I uninstalled it. I have Advanced browser and Ace Explorer. Which are Internet Explorer shells for sites that require IE. But when I did have IE10 it was the desktop version, not the Metro version that I used. But that's the same as IE9 and just as horrible as. Andrea Borman.

#20 LightShadow

LightShadow

>Metro<

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:32

I hope so. I want Chrome as my default, but I don't want to use the Immersive version.

#21 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 24 August 2012 - 18:17

the last screen shot show you that you can also look at the apps and programs in alphabetical order.

Yet if you click on the grouping you want, it just dumps you back to the 'full' list with no visual cue of what you clicked on (you just know its on the screen, somewhere).

Hopefully as Metro moves out of Alpha they will make the zoom the default view and allow you to expand 'into' that container, just like in classic.

#22 contextfree

contextfree

Neowinian

Posted 01 September 2012 - 00:04

Hopefully as Metro moves out of Alpha they will make the zoom the default view and allow you to expand 'into' that container, just like in classic.

This would have the disadvantages of:
* Requiring you to know which group an app is in (which is hardly always obvious) or try different groups until you see the one you want
* Requiring an extra click even if you do know the group
* Making it harder to use spatial memory to get a feel for where your apps are

Maybe some users would still prefer it so maybe it should be an option in Settings, but it shouldn't be the default.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!