Which version of MS Windows is your favourite?

202 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of MS Windows is your favourite?

• Windows 1.x
    • Windows 2.x
    • Windows 3.0
    • Windows 3.1x
    • Windows NT 3.1
    • Windows NT 3.5x
    • Windows NT 4.0
    • Windows 95
    • Windows 98
    • Windows 98 SE
    • Windows 2000
    • Windows ME
    • Windows XP
    • Windows Vista
    • Windows 7
    • Windows 8
    • I don't use MS Windows. My OS of choice is: (specify below)

Which is your favourite version of Microsoft Windows? XP, 7, 8 or one of the legacy versions? Discuss.

Actually I would say Windows 2000 even I used XP, Vista and 7. I like the lightness of Windows 2000. No knick-knack, no abundance.

But today no more usable. So I use Windows 7 and skip 8.

I'll vote for Windows 7 I guess, but it's hard to choose. There were so many great versions.

It would be easier to list the versions I really don't like. Windows 1.x, Windows Me, Windows 8.

No favourite, but used Windows XP when that was released, then Windows Vista upon release, then Windows 7 and now Windows 8 ....

Windows 7 > XP > 95. Win 95 was incredible for it's time, it transformed what a computer was as windows 3.1 was prehistoric in comparison. XP was great once SP2 was released which blocked popups in IE and added a lot of other good stuff. Windows 7 has always been great, it was a bit buggy for the first 6 months but once the stability patches were released it has been a wonderful O.S since then. I hate windows 8, i want to get rid of metro and restore the start menu then it would be a great O.S.

I've used XP, Vista and win 7 only. Clearly 7 wins here. But I must say XP can do things perfectly on a low config PC. (used run on 256MB RAM)

My favourite is Windos 2000 because its simple and uncluttered followed by Vista SP2,my least favourites are Windows Me ,Vista without any service packs and so far windows 8 (they trying to make it too much like a tablet) windows 7 is by far physicaly the best OS they have made so far

tbh Xp was crap when it first arrived but improved alot as it went along.

For me it has to be XP, closely followed by 7. I chose XP because it offered so much over Win ME and was an OS I used and upgraded every chance I could during testing stages because it kept giving me more in the UI and in system stability.

7 was cool, it made my desktop experience feel good again after Vista but I was not a huge fan of the UI, I preferred a smaller taskbar and the start button image of XP (I changed XPs theme to a black version of Luna which I loved)

Not liking 8's UI at all, Im digging around for customisation and getting bored. In order to look smooth and refined in metro there are basically no options - I have more control over my Sky Box.

Windows 2000 lasted me for so many years. I found it incredibly well-built, especially after a couple of service packs were released. My "current" favourite is actually Windows 8, although I prefer OS X over any Windows.

W2K. It sparked the revolution of switching mainline OS to NT and DAMN, it was pretty awesome, fast, snappy, responsive and very reliable. I like 2003 as well but #1 of all time for me is 2000 by far! :D

Vista was the downhill trend for me, 7 is 'nice' and supported and all but it's just not for me, and unfortunately W8 continues the downwards trend with a huge gap.

Hated XP, liked Vista, In love with 7. I have no excitement for 8.

How could you hate XP? Even if you didn't go for Win ME, XP could be styled just like Win 98 but had loads of extra UI features and could recognise so many things automatically plus it had thumbnail view and working user accounts.

On the desktop end I would have to say 7 at the moment, fast, reliable, no f'ing around, it just works and very well at that. 8 is a close contender and will possibly be my #1 once they refine things a bit, but right now a bit hit or miss yet (SP1?). Vista would be third (it was actually fairly decent after the service packs) with a tossup to OSX (works nice, just not my thing), XP and then 2K Pro.

Server side would easily be 2008 R2 by a very wide margin followed by FreeBSD, haven't tried 2012 yet, it's on the to-do.

By todays standards of course it's nothing, but my all time favourite version of Windows is Windows 2000.

How could you hate XP? Even if you didn't go for Win ME, XP could be styled just like Win 98 but had loads of extra UI features and could recognise so many things automatically plus it had thumbnail view and working user accounts.

Got my first PC in 2007, first OS i used was xp, and i used to hate the default theme so i installed different themes and packs to make it look good. Which eventually made it slow, but the main problem was virus, there were tons of virus for XP and i wasnt power user at that time. After installing vista which actually ran really well on my old pc, i never felt need of any antivirus plus it was pretty, gaming performance was also better.