Insanely confusing connection issue

I am using a Cisco Linksys E1200 Rounter, and the computer in question is a Compaq Presario F700 running windows Vista. The internal network adapter is a Atheros AR5007 running 802.11b/g.

Ok, the problem is My rounter is connected to the internet. Multiple other devices (PS3, Laptop running windows 7 starter, cell phones, etc) can connect to the Network AND the internet through the network. Furthermore, the computer I am having issues with it can connect to the internet through the network if I hardwire with an Ethernet cable to the router. However, when I use the wireless connection with this computer, it cannot access the internet through the network and has a Local Connection Only. If I diagnose the problem through the computer, it tells me "Cannot communicate with the Primary DNS Server (75.75.76.76) Netowkr Diagnostics pinged the remote host but did not receive a response"

I have tried steps to correct the problem, including reformatting the router, reformatting the computer itself, manually changing the IPv4 adress and DNS servers to the settings shown on my working laptop (DNS server 8.8.8.8?), letting windows Diagnostics try to fix it itself, changing all sorts of settings within the router (b/g mode, assigning special MAC permission, etc). Nothing has worked. I am at a loss, any ideas?

So 75.75.76.76 is comcast dns.

So you say it works when your wired? But not when wireless?

Why would it tell you it has problems talking to that dns, if you say you manually set it to googledns? Does it now say it can not connect to googledns?

You sure your just not firewalling port 53 outbound on your wireless interface?

BudMan, thanks for responding. I Specified port 53 for both, for a static IP addy that I assigned to the computer (192.168.1.103) and enabled it, doesnt seem to have any effect. I then disabled the firewall, also no effect. Other computers can still connect to the internet via this router, just not this one. I feel the issue is the computer not the router but I dont know. any other ideas?

" I Specified port 53 for both"

Where did you specify it?? you should not have to do anything --- but if you blocked it on the host, then yeah its not going to work.

What is odd is you say it works fine with a wire?

And can you ping while your on wireless? Can you access websites via IP? http://74.125.225.211/ that google IP by the way.

If your not able to dns, then yeah internet is not going to work. I would fire up sniffer on the box, say wireshark - do you see your dns going out? What does nslookup or dig show you for your dns query? You can grab dig for windows here - its part of bind.. Very valuable tool in troubleshooting dns.

You can do something like this for example

C:\Windows\system32>dig @8.8.8.8 www.google.com

; <<>> DiG 9.9.1-P2 <<>> @8.8.8.8 www.google.com
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 27798
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 6, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.google.com.					    IN	  A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.google.com.		 43199   IN	  CNAME   www.l.google.com.
www.l.google.com.	   299	 IN	  A	   74.125.225.179
www.l.google.com.	   299	 IN	  A	   74.125.225.177
www.l.google.com.	   299	 IN	  A	   74.125.225.180
www.l.google.com.	   299	 IN	  A	   74.125.225.178
www.l.google.com.	   299	 IN	  A	   74.125.225.176

;; Query time: 84 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Mon Aug 20 00:25:27 2012
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 143

C:\Windows\system32>

I would always suggest you get a real tool for troubleshooting dns, dig is very handy - its part of bind, you can grab it here for windows https://www.isc.org/software/bind

You can turn on tracing if you need too, etc. You can get wireshark here http://www.wireshark.org/ as to it being router, no I wouldn't think so. Unless your doing mac filtering? And blocking this one machines wireless interface

Budman, thanks for your continued help. The way I 'opened' was through the routers page (192.168.1.1) under port forwarding, though from your response this is not what you intended. I Downloaded the program you said, but was having trouble getting it functional. I HAVE been able to find a way to connect wirelessly through my router to the internet now. The solution was to make it an unsecured network. No matter what encryption i use (WEP,WPK, etc) as soon as I put a password on the network, it changes from internet access to limited access again. Once again this happens only on my Vista computer, not my PS3 or windows 7. Maybe this gives you a better idea of what is taking place?

Also, yes, with an ethernet cable i get no restrictions. It is really weird.

So you can not get dig to work from clicking go on install and saying tools only?? dig is a command to query and troubleshoot dns.

And NO YOU WOULD NOT forward any ports for a client to use dns.

So again I have to ask, can you access the link I gave you? Or your router, can you ping the IP for google?

I can not tell if you just don't get an IP? Or dns is just blocked?

So your saying it works fine with OPEN wireless, not using any security though? I have seen some strange things where interface would not work with router on say WEP, but worked fine on WPA, etc..

I would not suggest you run with an OPEN wireless -- WEP might as well be open. Try both WPA and WPA2 - I have no idea WTF wpk is??

So when your connected with wireless via WPA personal or WPA2 personal and try both tkip and aes setting on your router. What is the output of ipconfig /all?? Are you getting an IP from your router or do you just get 169.254 address. If so your not connected, but if works with no security on your wireless - I would guess your putting in the PSK wrong on your wireless settings on this machine - or there is clearly something wrong with it.

Do you have a wireless usb dongle you can try with it?

• 1 month later...

Hello Matthew, I am having this exact same issue. I'm actually working on it right now. In my researching I found that a lot of people have this issue. I also just found a site with a link to a possibe fix. I have not tried this yet because I'm not home, but it's the first thing I'll do when I get back. Take a look and see if this might help.

http://www.roytanck....inksys-routers/