Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
virtorio

Tony Scott Dies in Apparent Suicide

62 posts in this topic

Ever have a family member kill thereself and absolutely hate yourself because they felt like suicide was a better answer than coming to talk to you about it?

Yup, and I wholly understand their mindset and moreover support their decision.

1 person likes this

Sorry to hear this. Depression is a terrible thing, and a person who has it may seem perfectly fine. Smiling and happy in public, but constantly suffering inside. I know it seems selfish and I don't condone it at all, but a person who has a disorder often doesn't think rationally or about how it will effect others, or they may even wrongly believe their friends would be better off without them. The saddest thing is that depression can often be successfully treated if the person will just ask for help. Unfortunately they often hide their problem even from their closest family members.

1 person likes this

Ever have a family member kill thereself and absolutely hate yourself because they felt like suicide was a better answer than coming to talk to you about it?

I've had a family member commit suicide. He wanted to kill himself, not be talked out of it.

Catweazle is 100 % correct.

1 person likes this

If it was suicide then I hope it hurt. I have no sympathy for suicidal people, selfless people!

:rolleyes: Neowin at its finest.

2 people like this

Sad news.

If it was due to late stage terminal illness then i hope it was discussed with his close relatives. If it was depression then he has my sympathy. Depression is a horrible illness that rules your life and can completely change the way a person acts and makes decisions.

1 person likes this

I very VERY much doubt that! For the record, it CAN be selfish, but within other situations can be SELFLESS! Moreover, I never mentioned depression, and don't suggest I shot myself in the foot, because you just put your foot right in your mouth!

Ok, I'll take your word for it buddy ;)

1 person likes this

RIP :(

UPDATE: ABC News is reporting that "Tony Scott, director of 'Top Gun,' 'Days of Thunder' and 'Crimson Tide,' had inoperable brain cancer, a source close to him told ABC News."

I posted that last night... Damn shame :(

After all the fame and fortune he built up over his lifetime, he blows it by doing something stupid like that...

I can understand not wanting to suffer with his diagnosis, but offing himself like that is pretty selfless.

That's terrible. R.I.P.

After all the fame and fortune he built up over his lifetime, he blows it by doing something stupid like that...

I can understand not wanting to suffer with his diagnosis, but offing himself like that is pretty selfless.

Everyone in his situation will react differently. You, me and everyone that has posted a comment in this thread have no idea what he was going through so we have no right to judge him for his decision. Maybe he was in extreme pain? Maybe he was having extreme headaches that were so bad he couldn't think anymore or behave normally? Who knows.

If someone told me I had a terminal disease, I personally would do things I have never done before. I would enjoy whatever time I left doing the things I was afraid to do before. I would commit many felonies (LOL...Just kidding), but I would never end my life like that. That is no fun way to die. If I am going to die, I want to die having fun and doing what I've always wanted to do.

I read this earlier today on my local news website. RIP (And I don't mean rest in pieces either for the duke fans)

Three words - inoperable brain cancer.

Chemotherapy for ANY cancer can be a bear - when it's your only chance, it certainly is not even close to being a fun shot.

When you're in that sort of treatment regime, you're basically surviving - not living. Are you really that SELFISH that you would sentence someone that wound up that way through no fault of their own to that sort of horrible *existence*?

Requiescat in pace, Mister Scott - you will be missed.

dude went head first off a bridge. Nothing "Apparent" about it. Dude took a cowardly way out so no R.I.P for him.

I read in the metro this morning he had an inoperable type of cancer. Witnesses said he drove up, got out of his car and just jumped.

Very very sad news regardless of the reason.

Hopefully the family will learn to live on, doesnt he have a wife and 2 kids?

And for the people who are calling him selfish, chemo is not 100% guaranteed. What if he went through all that, his family saw him at the lowest point in his life, looking like he was already dead for the doctors to say it didnt work and it hasnt lengthened his life. What a waste, and also the fact he might not even survive the chemo.

Personally, if it was me, it would be a case of living every day like it was my last and enjoying every second with my family and friends. BUT it is easy to say that when you don't have this burden,

Opps yes I did mean selfish!

Of course it's selfish, he's left behind a wife and two children. Think how they will feel now, he's not thought about their trauma, ie selfish.

He can get help or could of.

Fair enough if your severly paralised, but he wasn't.

[. . .]

Being in constant pain and suffering from something like inoperable brain cancer feels just as bad to some people as paralysis does to others. It is reported that Tony Scott had inoperable brain cancer.

It would be selfish of anyone, including his wife and children, to expect him to live through that suffering, if he'd rather end his life to try to end that suffering.

Suicide is not selfish; expecting people to live in suffering is what is selfish, as others have pointed out to you.

[. . .]

If your view is different then great, but thats my view.

It's disappointing when someone indicates they aren't open-minded enough for their view to be changed, even in the case that they're ever proven wrong. All people's views should be subject to change, just in case.

Being in constant pain and suffering from something like inoperable brain cancer feels just as bad to some people as paralysis does to others. It is reported that Tony Scott had inoperable brain cancer.

It would be selfish of anyone, including his wife and children, to expect him to live through that suffering, if he'd rather end his life to try to end that suffering.

Suicide is not inherently selfish; expecting people to live in suffering is what is selfish, as others have pointed out to you.

Suicide is absolutely selfish in most cases. Not so much in this one.

Assuming it was brain cancer, then I don't believe that's selfish at all. If it was depression, then I think it's selfish.

The difference being ones ability to do something about it.

Dude took a cowardly way out so no R.I.P for him.

Wait til you've been there, then judge.

3 people like this

Assuming it was brain cancer, then I don't believe that's selfish at all. If it was depression, then I think it's selfish.

If it was Inoperable then I guess from his frame of mind he didn't want to become sick and have all the symptoms of brain cancer and just deteriorate while his friends and family watch.

Yes, that's what I meant to convey?I believe it isn't inherently selfish. Thanks.

Having said that, I'm not sure how much you know about how easy it is for someone who suffers from depression to stop suffering. One of my close friends has suffered from depression for a few years, and no matter how much I advise her to always be positive (why be sad about things you can't change?), she hasn't been able to do so. She's allowed herself to have as much treatment as is available to her, yet she still suffers tremendously and is miserable. I think there may be more to depression than some people realise, and I don't think it's fair to ask someone to continue to suffer just so they don't upset others by ending their life. After all, one's life is their own, and if they would rather end it than suffer, shouldn't they be able to do that without being deemed selfish? Isn't it more selfish of others to expect them to live a life of suffering? Shouldn't their family and friends understand that it's what the person thought was best for themselves? Obviously, some people would regret committing suicide if they could, but I'm not talking about that issue.

1 person likes this

If it was suicide then I hope it hurt. I have no sympathy for suicidal people, selfless people!

Selfless is pretty much the complete opposite to what you wanted to say, which is "selfish."

As for your opinion on suicide...well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just happen to completely disagree with yours on this matter.

The problem I have with that is people's definition of depression. Now days if you have a bum week people say you are depressed.

Clinical depression is a completely different beast. It can happily slide into my category of things people can jump off bridges for and not be judged by me.

My objection is: "Oh my girlfriend cheated I am so depressed I want to die" suicides.

Being in constant pain and suffering from something like inoperable brain cancer feels just as bad to some people as paralysis does to others. It is reported that Tony Scott had inoperable brain cancer. It would be selfish of anyone, including his wife and children, to expect him to live through that suffering, if he'd rather end his life to try to end that suffering. Suicide is not selfish; expecting people to live in suffering is what is selfish, as others have pointed out to you. It's disappointing when someone indicates they aren't open-minded enough for their view to be changed, even in the case that they're ever proven wrong. All people's views should be subject to change, just in case.

It's alleged that he didn't have brain tumour now, but even still suicide (unless legal) is selfish, especially in this case, look at his family now, all on their own. The children are sort of grown up but still need a loving father to guide them into the world, which I'm sure he has done and would of continued to do so.

For all we know, his wife didn't know he would of done it (which I'm pretty sure she didn't, even discussing it, I couldn't imagine she'd let him to it, regardless of the situation. Would you let a friend commit suicide, really?)

At the end of the day, he chose his fate and will sadly be missed by many people.