win8 mse hosts file

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#16 billyea

billyea

Your Two Cents

• 2,051 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 14:49

It's one of the biggest ad networks on the internet. Someone being able to redirect all that traffic for their own purposes by modifying someone elses hosts files is quite the issue - considering how many websites have ads served by doubleclick.

By the way, doubleclick is run by Google - Microsoft tends to use their own advertising platform.

Ah, that makes sense.

I would be curious to know if other high-profile sites are prevented from being redirected as well. I'd expect at least the Alexa top 50. Right now, we can justify each of those sites individually, but if it's ONLY those two sites, it's worth questioning.

#17 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• 10,744 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 20 August 2012 - 15:26

It's the fact that it only blocks some sites, that seems very fishy. If you are going to protect the hosts file in this manner, why not protect it entirely?

I am glad it doesn't protect the whole file. I can still use it for my own work (which uses internal domains).

#18 efjay

efjay

Neowinian

• 1,017 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 17:06

Has anyone tried adding the hosts file to the exclude list to see if it resolves this?

#19 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,328 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 20 August 2012 - 17:13

Has anyone tried adding the hosts file to the exclude list to see if it resolves this?

It works according to another post here

#20 efjay

efjay

Neowinian

• 1,017 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 17:18

It works according to another post here

Guess I missed it, thanks.

#21 Jack 0Neill

Jack 0Neill

Neowinian

• 641 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:18

hosts file is not meant for website blocking or anything other kind of blocking. when are people going to learn this.

#22 Depicus

Depicus

depicus.com

• 858 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:42

hosts file is not meant for website blocking or anything other kind of blocking. when are people going to learn this.

When there is another effective way to block sites :)

#23 +SharpGreen

SharpGreen

Now with built-in BS detector.

• 2,410 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Nexus

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:50

I can see a very legit use for only doing certain sites. Since DoubleClick is one of the biggest ad networks out there, redirecting it to a mailious IP address using the HOSTS file is a good way to get malware installed. Same with Facebook, and if something like that ever did happen to Mr Average J. User, he wouldn't even begin to know how to fix it.

#24 Mike Frett

Mike Frett

Neowinian Senior

• 2,424 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:17

Can't believe I'm defending Windows 8, but here goes: I did my own testing here with XP, Vista and 7. It has nothing to do with the OS you are using, and everything to do with MSE. End of story, try it for yourself. MSE will remove certain things from your HOSTS file even if it's Read Only.

#25 The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• 3,972 posts
  • Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:22

Can't believe I'm defending Windows 8, but here goes: I did my own testing here with XP, Vista and 7. It has nothing to do with the OS you are using, and everything to do with MSE. End of story, try it for yourself. MSE will remove certain things from your HOSTS file even if it's Read Only.

while true, MSE is install by default on windows 8. By doing this i count MSE on windows 8 as part of the windows 8 OS. Im very interested in this, but am not going dog MS and Windows 8 till more is known.

#26 StevenJ

StevenJ

Neowinian

• 236 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:25

Ah, that makes sense.

I would be curious to know if other high-profile sites are prevented from being redirected as well. I'd expect at least the Alexa top 50. Right now, we can justify each of those sites individually, but if it's ONLY those two sites, it's worth questioning.

Not really. Remember that Microsoft participated in taking down several botnets, as well as their ongoing security work. They may have learned that those two domains are targeted several times more than others, hence the block.

#27 evacc44

evacc44

Neowinian

• 129 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:31

All of you conspiracy theorists out there can put away your tinfoil hats. They are not allowing facebook.com doubleclick.net etc. from being redirected because those are the most popular sites for malware authors to redirect. I'm sure there are other sites includes in this list of sites that can't be redirected with Defender enabled.

Do you really think Microsoft wants to protect Google's ad network from being blocked? Stop being paranoid.

#28 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Neowinian Senior

• 2,028 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:44

Out of curiosity, why not? I have been using a HOSTS file for years with no problems. It works very well.

#29 Jack 0Neill

Jack 0Neill

Neowinian

• 641 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 18:48

a good, educational read: Blocking Malware and Advertisements Safely

#30 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 23:37

Like any new product it takes a while to work out the kinks.