Another design glitch in Windows 8?

win8

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#16 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

joO 4R3 73H L337!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:20

so , you have a dead pixel that simply cannot render a specific color (white/red/blue/green) and Metro, simply just had to actually put a white pixel right there ...

man, you made my day .... my cam (sony w200 has the same issue ... it has some dead pixels and in black it shows red, but in all other colors work fine) .. damn you science

It can't be a dead pixel, you can't screenshot a screen defect, and that looks like a screenshot to me.

Man, you made my day....../s

My guess would be some type of GPU rendering issue, whether thats because of Windows 8, drivers or GPU fault, unknown
at this point.

Seems rather specific for a GPU fault though, those generally show more signs, other artifacts in other places, random colours, etc.

Maybe it's a secret link on Neowin put there by the Illuminati, the true masterminds behind Metro, part of their master plan at dumbing
down the world so they're easier to control.

#17 DClark

DClark

Neowinian

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:25

This reminds me of the people who were looking for plot holes in The Dark Knight Rises to somehow make the film illegitimate. Yet, the same flaws existed in the "popular" predecessors. Now Windows 8 is The Dark Knight Rises as Windows 7 was The Dark Knight.

Fools.

#18 simplezz

simplezz

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:44

Could be your ram. Memory errors can cause that kind of screen corruption. When it happened to me once I thought it was the GFX card, but then I ran memtest x86 and lo and behold it was my ram :/ Might be something else in your case, but it's worth testing just to be sure.

#19 yakumo

yakumo

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:11

I've had this problem caused by software before, it really made me panic until I'd taken a screenshot and knew it wasn't my nice new screen.

I seem to remember it was the jawbone icon (bluetooth headset) software, which was pretty much entirely a systray and right click menu only thing, it really shouldn't have been touching the rest of screen at all, but I terminate the process and the pixel was gone, only to return when it was started again.

#20 nub

nub

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:19

so , you have a dead pixel that simply cannot render a specific color (white/red/blue/green) and Metro, simply just had to actually put a white pixel right there ...

I don't fully understand what you're trying to say, but I don't think you understand what a dead pixel is. A dead pixel is a physical pixel on a monitor that is no longer working (a pixel stuck a certain color is a stuck pixel). Dead/Stuck pixels will not show up on a screenshot since the problem is with your monitor.

Could be your ram. Memory errors can cause that kind of screen corruption. When it happened to me once I thought it was the GFX card, but then I ran memtest x86 and lo and behold it was my ram :/ Might be something else in your case, but it's worth testing just to be sure.

If his ram/video card were bad, there would most likely be other artifacts as well.

#21 OP andrewbares

andrewbares

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:10

Well guys, this is actually a problem with Windows 8. I just noticed that my mom's PC also has the "dead pixel"

Posted Image

It doesn't always show up. After completely closing IE and then opening it again, it doesn't appear for a while. And then it starts to appear again.

Microsoft needed to slow down and actually finish Win8 before releasing it!

#22 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:26

Well guys, this is actually a problem with Windows 8. I just noticed that my mom's PC also has the "dead pixel"

Posted Image

It doesn't always show up. After completely closing IE and then opening it again, it doesn't appear for a while. And then it starts to appear again.

Microsoft needed to slow down and actually finish Win8 before releasing it!

That shows us that it's happening in MetroIE. That could mean it's still an issue related to graphics drivers. Are you both using the type of card (nVidia or AMD based)?

#23 OP andrewbares

andrewbares

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:32

That shows us that it's happening in MetroIE. That could mean it's still an issue related to graphics drivers. Are you both using the type of card (nVidia or AMD based)?

My laptop has a switchable integrated Intel HD graphics card and an AMD Radeon, while my mom's desktop has a NVidia GeForce 9800.

That would make me think it's a problem with Windows for sure, not the graphics drivers. Nevertheless, it seems to ONLY ever appear in Metro IE, which re-enforces my belief that it's Windows.

#24 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:33

Stop using IE then. /s

#25 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:35

My laptop has a switchable integrated Intel HD graphics card and an AMD Radeon, while my mom's desktop has a NVidia GeForce 9800.

That would make me think it's a problem with Windows for sure, not the graphics drivers. Nevertheless, it seems to ONLY ever appear in Metro IE, which re-enforces my belief that it's Windows.

Hmm. I wonder why it's not being seen more often then if it's purely a Metro IE problem. I'm not saying you're wrong, but one would think if it's a Windows or Metro IE specific issue we'd see more reports here. I think we've had only one repro so far in this thread.

#26 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:40

Hmm. I wonder why it's not being seen more often then if it's purely a Metro IE problem. I'm not saying you're wrong, but one would think if it's a Windows or Metro IE specific issue we'd see more reports here. I think we've had only one repro so far in this thread.

the fact that it is indeed just one pixel might be why

it's one of those things that you most likely won't notice but if you notice it once you'll begin to lookout for it and notice it almost every time

#27 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:03

the fact that it is indeed just one pixel might be why

it's one of those things that you most likely won't notice but if you notice it once you'll begin to lookout for it and notice it almost every time

Definitely a possibility. I'll keep my eyes peeled to see if I ever spot it.

#28 OP andrewbares

andrewbares

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:30

Definitely a possibility. I'll keep my eyes peeled to see if I ever spot it.

Yeah I'm curious too why others haven't seen it! I'm using the official RTM release.

Like I said, it doesn't *always* appear, so that could explain it. And yeah, it's tough to catch a small pixel like that... especially on 1920x1080 resolutions.

#29 astroXP

astroXP

The outer space geek

Posted 18 September 2012 - 20:55

Stop using IE then. /s

LOL Straight to the point!
This made my day :rofl:

#30 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:28

Since someone revived the thread just thought I'd chime in. I still haven't seen his on my desktop as of yet. Ive looked, but still no sign of a single white pixel anywhere.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!