Help me get $10,000 from Best Buy for my invention

Hey guys, my senior design team invented a typing glove, GAUNTLET, and we submitted it to Best Buy's College Innovator Fund contest. The fan favorite will win $10,000, which we will use to fund the development of the actual retail product. You can check out the device on our website: www.gauntletkeyboard.com and we really appreciate it if you could vote for us on Facebook(it does require you to install a Facebook app, unfortunately, but you can always remove it afterwards): https://fbbestbuycollegeinnovation.com/collegeinnovatorfund/idea/62270

The video you see on our site or on the Facebook app is GAUNTLET's functional prototype typing to an Android phone via Bluetooth. Although it is working, the prototype looks quite crude, and that's why we need the funding to refine the product. You can vote once per day. Thank you very much!

Gees we have a lot of armchair critics on these forums these days. I know I can't build a glove like that and irrespective of if its been tried before I give a tip of the hat to anyone that is willing to step up and build something.

Unfortunately I don't use facebook so I can't help you OP other than say all the best with the comp and hope you and the team keep it up.

• Like 3

Do you have a video of you using the device?

Yes, it is on the website. Click on the main image.

What would be the benefit of such a device in the real world? Seems kind of an awkward gimmick.

People who have lost a hand could find immediate value. I also use it when i'm driving as I can feel the keys I'm pressing on and it's one-handed. It is awkward right now mainly due to the design and aesthetics. I'm pretty sure some people had the same doubts for the first keyboards. "You put your two hands awkwardly on a surface?!" We are born with typing gesture on Gauntlet, whilst typing on keyboard is a trained gesture. If you actually type on the glove it feels quite natural even at its current prototype state.

Unfortunately wearable computer enthusiasts made a smaller and more versatile version of this over 10 years ago... :/

I would like to think 10 years ago the technology wasn't quite there. With the introduction of smartphones and popularization of Bluetooth technology, and with the upcoming wave of head mounted displays (Google Glass), wearable computing will become more acceptable and mainstream.

Gees we have a lot of armchair critics on these forums these days. I know I can't build a glove like that and irrespective of if its been tried before I give a tip of the hat to anyone that is willing to step up and build something. Unfortunately I don't use facebook so I can't help you OP other than say all the best with the comp and hope you and the team keep it up.

I appreciate your sentiments! I have dreamed to make a device such as this when I first saw Minority Report as a kid, and I'm just glad and proud of my team for making this a reality.

I agree with Xilo. Seems awkward as Hell.

Edit:

Here's another version:

http://www.kickstart...le-input-device

Then we have this one:

http://www.shopping....mall-Glove/info

Both devices are really cool in their own regard and I respect the inventors. However, the keyglove has a higher learning curve due to the key combinations. With Gauntlet, the keys are clearly laid out on your hand, and your thumb is the only touch point, so you can learn to type in just a day without having to memorize complex key patterns. The peregrine is designed to be a gaming device, thus it has limited inputs, not to mention it is wired and USB connection only.

• Like 1

First thing's first: Congratulations on getting the device to a workable stage. That's something well outside my level of expertise.

However, I'm not sure I can support this product. Looking at the video it looks like my typing speed would decrease (I've become quite used to typing on my smartphone now using the on-screen keyboard), and I think I would spend more time trying to find the letter on my hand than if I just used the on-screen keyboard. I can appreciate that someone with a handicap could benefit from this, but for your average user I don't think it would take off.

With that said, I genuinely wish you and your team all the best with this product.

I would like to think 10 years ago the technology wasn't quite there. With the introduction of smartphones and popularization of Bluetooth technology, and with the upcoming wave of head mounted displays (Google Glass), wearable computing will become more acceptable and mainstream.

I suggest you look up the FingerRing keyboard, there where several different working models out there at the time. but I think that was the main one used by many for a virtual keyboard that was in fact faster to use than a regular keyboard.

Both devices are really cool in their own regard and I respect the inventors. However, the keyglove has a higher learning curve due to the key combinations. With Gauntlet, the keys are clearly laid out on your hand, and your thumb is the only touch point, so you can learn to type in just a day without having to memorize complex key patterns. The peregrine is designed to be a gaming device, thus it has limited inputs, not to mention it is wired and USB connection only.

Good enough. I wish you and your team the best.

Good job for effort but I would never where a glove and who wants to carry a glove around. Is that the alphabet on the fingers? So now we have to stare at the alphabet on a glove on our hand instead of the screen?

"I also use it when i'm driving"

:blink: Not really something you should be supporting to be honest.

http://www.donttextdrive.com/

If you text and drive, you?re 23 times more likely to have a car crash.

post-14624-0-21332900-1345564357.jpg

Let's face it, people text and drive even knowing the risk involved. I think if a technology that allows SAFE texting while driving, then that just might save lives. Right now I am able to type without looking due to the fact that I can literally *feel* what key I pressed.

Good job for effort but I would never where a glove and who wants to carry a glove around. Is that the alphabet on the fingers? So now we have to stare at the alphabet on a glove on our hand instead of the screen?

Thanks. That is an alphabet on the fingers, and the idea is you could learn the key layout and literally feel which key you are pressing because you are pressing against your own skin. It took me a day to get used to the new way of typing and 2 more days to memorize the layout. Now think about how long it took you to learn to type without looking at the keyboard.

Well congrats on trying to win. Reminds me of the NES Powerglove from the early 90s

Hopefully our production unit will be much more elegant :)

I suggest you look up the FingerRing keyboard, there where several different working models out there at the time. but I think that was the main one used by many for a virtual keyboard that was in fact faster to use than a regular keyboard.

I can't seem to find it. Could you point me to a reference?

if this is to ever get popular..... sorry Apple already invented it.

Or hopefully Apple can just buy us out, right? ;)

Unlike the others here, I can clearly see that it is just a prototype, not a polished product. You have already done a lot of work with a working prototype and an attractive website, you are this ][ close into turning it into a Kickstarter Project where you can set a $10,000 goal and you will probably far exceed the target if it gains traction. I wouldn't bother with Best Buy. Their financial outlook is not that great so they could pull the plug on you at any time.

First thing's first: Congratulations on getting the device to a workable stage. That's something well outside my level of expertise.

However, I'm not sure I can support this product. Looking at the video it looks like my typing speed would decrease (I've become quite used to typing on my smartphone now using the on-screen keyboard), and I think I would spend more time trying to find the letter on my hand than if I just used the on-screen keyboard. I can appreciate that someone with a handicap could benefit from this, but for your average user I don't think it would take off.

With that said, I genuinely wish you and your team all the best with this product.

Thanks. The typing speed would decrease due to the fact that you are only using one finger, but I type quite naturally and efficiently now that I know the key layout. I love laying back in my chair, hands behind my head and be able to type this message without having to put two hands on a surface (risking carpel tunnel :p). And if technology such as the Google Glass actually takes off, how would we type then? Voice input is not always viable, as we still need a way for covert input. That's where I think Gauntlet could really add value.