• 1,134 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 14:26

Smash it, smash it to bits

#17 BillyJack

BillyJack

Neowinian

• 760 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 15:44

Good job for effort but I would never where a glove and who wants to carry a glove around. Is that the alphabet on the fingers? So now we have to stare at the alphabet on a glove on our hand instead of the screen?

#18 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• 27,297 posts
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 21 August 2012 - 15:52

"I also use it when i'm driving"

:blink: Not really something you should be supporting to be honest.

http://www.donttextdrive.com/
If you text and drive, you’re 23 times more likely to have a car crash.

textanddrive.jpg

#19 gnuman

gnuman

Chief Website Architect

• 1,916 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 22:41

Well congrats on trying to win. Reminds me of the NES Powerglove from the early 90s Posted Image

#20 Alladaskill17

Alladaskill17

Neowinian Senior

• 5,448 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 22:44

Judging by the article where BB's stock plummeted 91%, you're not getting anything.

#21 OP Bei337

Bei337

Neowinian

• 1,374 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:54

Hopefully our production unit will be much more elegant :)

#22 still1

still1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,990 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:57

if this is to ever get popular..... sorry Apple already invented it.

#23 OP Bei337

Bei337

Neowinian

• 1,374 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:00

I suggest you look up the FingerRing keyboard, there where several different working models out there at the time. but I think that was the main one used by many for a virtual keyboard that was in fact faster to use than a regular keyboard.

I can't seem to find it. Could you point me to a reference?

if this is to ever get popular..... sorry Apple already invented it.

Or hopefully Apple can just buy us out, right? ;)

#24 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

• 10,724 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:05

Unlike the others here, I can clearly see that it is just a prototype, not a polished product. You have already done a lot of work with a working prototype and an attractive website, you are this ][ close into turning it into a Kickstarter Project where you can set a $10,000 goal and you will probably far exceed the target if it gains traction. I wouldn't bother with Best Buy. Their financial outlook is not that great so they could pull the plug on you at any time.

#25 OP Bei337

Bei337

Neowinian

• 1,374 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:40

First thing's first: Congratulations on getting the device to a workable stage. That's something well outside my level of expertise.

However, I'm not sure I can support this product. Looking at the video it looks like my typing speed would decrease (I've become quite used to typing on my smartphone now using the on-screen keyboard), and I think I would spend more time trying to find the letter on my hand than if I just used the on-screen keyboard. I can appreciate that someone with a handicap could benefit from this, but for your average user I don't think it would take off.

With that said, I genuinely wish you and your team all the best with this product.

Thanks. The typing speed would decrease due to the fact that you are only using one finger, but I type quite naturally and efficiently now that I know the key layout. I love laying back in my chair, hands behind my head and be able to type this message without having to put two hands on a surface (risking carpel tunnel :p). And if technology such as the Google Glass actually takes off, how would we type then? Voice input is not always viable, as we still need a way for covert input. That's where I think Gauntlet could really add value.

#26 Krome

Krome

Neowinian God!

• 4,803 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:40

lol the funniest idea ever... here's the video of it in use...

http://www.engadget....n-typing-for-s/

#27 OP Bei337

Bei337

Neowinian

• 1,374 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:42

Unlike the others here, I can clearly see that it is just a prototype, not a polished product. You have already done a lot of work with a working prototype and an attractive website, you are this ][ close into turning it into a Kickstarter Project where you can set a $10,000 goal and you will probably far exceed the target if it gains traction. I wouldn't bother with Best Buy. Their financial outlook is not that great so they could pull the plug on you at any time.

We are planning on doing a Kickstarter project once we get a more polished version out there, otherwise the reaction would be largely negative due to the fact that most people cannot see further than what's in front of them. This is a one-off contest by Best Buy, and even if we do not win the popularity contest, we still have a chance of being picked to win the grand prize of $50,000 or the second and third prizes for $20,000. The way I'm looking at it is there's nothing we can lose from doing this, so might as well :)

#28 nominak

nominak

Neowinian Senior

• 3,159 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:17

Let's face it, people text and drive even knowing the risk involved. I think if a technology that allows SAFE texting while driving, then that just might save lives. Right now I am able to type without looking due to the fact that I can literally *feel* what key I pressed.

And how do you read incoming texts?

#29 OP Bei337

Bei337

Neowinian

• 1,374 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:25

And how do you read incoming texts?

I just read it. Reading text does not require nearly as much attention from you versus typing on a touch screen where you have to pin point each letter.

#30 +Yorak

Yorak

Insubordinate

• 3,444 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:42

I type 120-130WPM. Why would I want to use this on a PC? I am not being a jerk, I am seriously asking.

Thanks. :)