Internet Explorer 10 RTM Benchmarked

I don't understand why Firefox memory usage is so low compared to the rest. Since the 0.x beta days they had a huge memory leak. However they never acknowledged it as a memory leak: they called it a 'feature' in that it saves the browsing sessions of closed tabs and previous pages.

Hasn't been an issue for good bit of time now (fixed in.. v4? I forget), unless you have an addon that's misbehaving. Last few versions, as least with the 20 or so addons that I'm using, Firefox has been quite good with memory usage, usually winding up using more or less half the memory of Chromium with similar addons.

Where did I say anything about low marketshare? I said high marketshare (or no competition) tends to lead to laziness. When IE6 was released there really wasn't any competition. Opera was around but it wasn't free, Firefox wasn't around till 2004, Netscape was as good as dead, Chrome didn't exist, and Safari was released in 2003 on OS X. So Microsoft had no incentive to further develop their browser because there wasn't any other product to compete with, and hence no reason for them to spend money developing it further. Opera was also a paid app until version 10 so their incentive to develop came from their need for money. Nowadays the desktop browser may be free but they earn a good deal of money from licensing (Wii browser is powered by Opera, HTC used to use their browser as default etc).

Dude, I was not arguing with you... I was just saying.

Nothing is wrong. In Windows 8 RTM 64-bit, Internet Explorer always shows up as iexplore.exe (without *32, unlike other software).

Go ahead and launch it from Program Files (x86) and see for yourself.

Also try this: launch IE from the taskbar and check out your user agent as I suggested before.

That's my point. I did check, and my clean install is running IE64, and when I run IE32 it shows that it's 32-bit in the Task Manager.

When I attempt to Pin IE64 to the taskbar it notes that it is already pinned in the context menu. IE32 however notes that it is available to pin to the taskbar.

I just don't want you to have invalid results since I'd like to see a good comparison review. :)

I just reinstalled Windows 8 on the test system just for you. Clean installation (not upgrade). Didn't install anything. Didn't change anything.

Desktop's IE10 uses 32-bit tabs.

Metro's IE10 uses 64-bit tabs.

It even appears in the user agent:

32-bit tab user agent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; Trident/6.0)

64-bit tab user agent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows NT 6.2; Win64; x64; Trident/6.0)

See for yourself on http://www.whatismybrowser.com and http://whatsmyuseragent.com.

That is odd, to me... because my clean install uses 64 bit all around.

[edit]

Not criticizing in any way, just actually wondering why the difference.

They should look at the html5test.com and try to get at least 400 score on there. It seem like it's the standard use for browser scoring in HTML5.

Is Microsoft going to release IE10 for Windows 7? If not, can we still take them (Microsoft) seriously? Really, they break the internet with their different IE versions.

Yes, they are suppose to but I imagine it will be sometimes after October 26, when they release Windows 8 to the general public.

This article explains why the browser is always 64bit, but the content is 32bit (desktop) and 64bit (metro). http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2012/03/23/understanding-ie10-enhanced-protected-mode-network-security-addons-cookies-metro-desktop.aspx

You can also force 64bit everywhere by enabling Enhanced Protection Mode under the Advanced tab in Internet Options.

For IE10, we?ve changed IE such that Manager Processes always run as 64bit processes when running on a 64bit processor running a 64bit version of Windows. This improves security among other things. We do not expect that this change will meaningfully impact compatibility, because the Manager Process is designed not to run 3rd party content, and thus there?s little opportunity for anyone to take a dependency upon the Frame Process? bitness. In support of this change, the various registry points that point to Internet Explorer have been updated to point to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe. If you manually invoke C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe, that 32bit process will simply launch the 64bit version of iexplore.exe (with the appropriate command line parameters) before exiting.

For the Content Processes, the story is a little more complicated. In the Metro-style experience of Internet Explorer, all Content Processes will run at 64bit (on Win64), which means that they benefit from the improved security provided in 64bit. The compatibility impact is minimal because Metro-style IE does not load any browser add-ons (Toolbars, BHOs, and non-browser-platform COM objects like MIME Handlers, URLMon Protocol Handlers, MIME Filters, ActiveX controls, etc). Back in IE9, running in 64bit mode meant that JavaScript was not JIT-compiled, but for IE10, the JIT compiler was enhanced to work for both 32bit and 64bit tabs, providing great performance in both. Additionally, many major browser add-ons like Flash, Silverlight, and Java are now available in 64bit versions.

In Internet Explorer on the Desktop, by default, Content Processes remain at 32bit by default for compatibility with 32bit ActiveX controls, Toolbars, BHOs, etc. Even when you directly launch the 64bit iexplore.exe executable, you will still have a 64bit Manager Process that hosts only 32bit Content Processes. If you want to enable 64bit Content Processes for the Desktop, you must tick the Enable Enhanced Protected Mode option in the Security section of Internet Explorer?s Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab. When this option is enabled, all Content Processes that are running in Protected Mode (e.g. Internet Zone and Restricted Zone, by default) will begin to use 64bit Content Processes.

http://html5test.com/

Your browser scores

and 6 bonus points

out of a total of 500 points

You are using Internet Explorer 10.0 on Windows 8

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your browser scores

and 9 bonus points

You are using Firefox 14.0.1 on Windows 8

So, which browser is better? :p

http://html5test.com/ Your browser scores 319 and 6 bonus points out of a total of 500 points You are using Internet Explorer 10.0 on Windows 8 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Your browser scores 345 and 9 bonus points out of a total of 500 points You are using Firefox 14.0.1 on Windows 8 So, which browser is better? :p

The answer to that is clear...

your browser scores

AND 13 BONUS POINTS

You are using Chrome 21 on Windows 8

The answer to that is clear...

Thanx for that FFM. But I will stick to my firefox, for now.

For the upteenth time, the so-called "HTML 5 Test" doesn't actually measure anything but just asks if the feature is implemented. Quantity over quality...

I understand that. Someone was asking for the html5 test and I obliged. My self, I could care less about benchmarks on anything. If I did, I would be running an i7-3770 Processor. But I'm not. I'm running an AMD 970 BE. But then, I prefer AMD. Will be getting the FX-8150 BE in a few days.

This article explains why the browser is always 64bit, but the content is 32bit (desktop) and 64bit (metro). http://blogs.msdn.co...ro-desktop.aspx

You can also force 64bit everywhere by enabling Enhanced Protection Mode under the Advanced tab in Internet Options.

That's exactly correct. That would explain why they are showing the browser info as WOW64. So in a way both sides were correct here, just about different aspects of how it worked.

ACID3 test be came the standard for how good the browser was 5 years ago and now html5test is becoming the new ACID3 test standard that web developers are using. The whole point of it is to show your browser is on par with others and web developers see that as to which browser I'm going to but more time into.

It'd be nice it there was also a practical test - like a UI responsive test during loading / panning / zooming etc. At this point, the responsiveness and fluidity of the browsers is becoming more important to the actual browsing experience than than the raw rendering / processing prowess. Of course it's doubly important IE 10 does well there, given that it'll be powering a large number of the new style UI applications. (And most of the Microsoft made Win8 applications are HTML & CSS apps using the IE 10 engine)

(Though if they can keep beefing up those Canvas / Animation scores I'm not complaining :p)

It'd be nice it there was also a practical test - like a UI responsive test during loading / panning / zooming etc. At this point, the responsiveness and fluidity of the browsers is becoming more important to the actual browsing experience than than the raw rendering / processing prowess. Of course it's doubly important IE 10 does well there, given that it's powering a large majority of the new style UI applications

(Though if they can keep beefing up those Canvas / Animation scores I'm not complaining :p)

For me, the litmus test is ease of use, and I'm sorry Microsoft, but sticking the refresh button on the other side of the address bar, away from the navigation buttons, GETS UP MY NOSE! GRR! :p

Also, Tracking Protection Lists are rubbish and don't block YouTube ads at ALL...

For me, the litmus test is ease of use, and I'm sorry Microsoft, but sticking the refresh button on the other side of the address bar, away from the navigation buttons, GETS UP MY NOSE! GRR! :p

Also, Tracking Protection Lists are rubbish and don't block YouTube ads at ALL...

You do know you can change that right? Just right click on the refresh button and say to show before address bar.

Here you go: http://www.neowin.ne...op-in-windows-8

See, I told you so. :D

Hence why I said we were both correct. It is a 64-bit process, but using 32-bit tabs for compatibility. I find that odd to be honest...but can understand why they are doing it that way...

IMO they need to update Silverlight then, since I prefer using IE for Netflix, and would like to have it be a 64-bit process. Otherwise why did they spend time developing the 64-bit version of Silverlight?

You do know you can change that right? Just right click on the refresh button and say to show before address bar.

Yes, I know that. You missed the smiley.