Temp Difference in Newer Kernel

I was on opensuse default 3.1 kernel and someone on IRC on here mentioned it was quite old

so i followed the tutorial on opensuse faq for upgrading the kernel whcih went great

only problem i have noticed is this

before the upgrade the temp monitor always showed my CPU idle about 35 degrees C and under load would go right up to 90 Degrees C

with the 3.5 kernel it idles at 27 degrees C and never seems to go over 60 degrees C under load

I am not sure which one to go by

90 degrees is high for a CPU under stress. My CPU's core temp has never surpassed the 70 degree mark.

It could also be the difference between core vs mobo sensor temperatures. Try installing lm_sensors and load the core temp sensor if your machine has one, as that's almost always the most accurate one.

90 degrees is high for a CPU under stress. My CPU's core temp has never surpassed the 70 degree mark.

It could also be the difference between core vs mobo sensor temperatures. Try installing lm_sensors and load the core temp sensor if your machine has one, as that's almost always the most accurate one.

If this happened while trying a different kernel (did you build one?) then it's probably a broken code or most likely a bug with that kernel.