[UK] Experiences with Plusnet?

I've got plus net, been with them for about 2 years.

Havn't had any issues with them at all. the static ip and the RDNS is nice to have too.

I have the premium package for ADSL (120GB) with the pro addon (prioritized traffic)

also, if you sign up, you were referred by steroberts89

I haven't used them myself but a friend uses them and is very happy with the service they offer. He lives in a semi-rural area with terrible broadband speeds and had constant trouble with BT in the past. Although his speeds are still pretty slow he now has a stable connection with PlusNet and also rates their customer service.

I haven't used them myself but a friend uses them and is very happy with the service they offer. He lives in a semi-rural area with terrible broadband speeds and had constant trouble with BT in the past. Although his speeds are still pretty slow he now has a stable connection with PlusNet and also rates their customer service.

Kind of ironic given that BT owns PlusNet...!

Kind of ironic given that BT owns PlusNet...!

Not quite. It was founded in 1997 and has been owned since 2007 by BT Group, but still operates as a separate business.

Seems good, then.

We currently get TV (Sky HD), phone (inc. line rental) and broadband with Sky.

To join Plusnet, we would need to move the phone (inc. line rental) over.

I need to call Sky and see, since we're dropping 2/3rds of their package, if the TV (Sky HD) price will increase a lot. I feel it will.

Was with plusnet since 2003, up until last year.

Had one major downtime in that time and it was a widespread problem and was kept up to date.

Excellent service and a good price.

I only changed to Sky because at the time they offered the fastest speed and an unlimited service.

Your SkyTV should remain the same price.

<snipped>

Your SkyTV should remain the same price.

Depends if it was part of a package (we don't remember).

I also need to research how strict their new 76 Mbps fibre optic service's traffic shaping is.

I would just get BT Infinity. I've been with Plusnet for years, even when they had half decent Usenet access, then they started traffic shaping the service, cap speeds and have stupid low limits on their products. I went with BeThere who are brilliant then back to BT when we moved home since FTTC was available and the unlimited speed with no traffic shaping is great.

I would just get BT Infinity. I've been with Plusnet for years, even when they had half decent Usenet access, then they started traffic shaping the service, cap speeds and have stupid low limits on their products. I went with BeThere who are brilliant then back to BT when we moved home since FTTC was available and the unlimited speed with no traffic shaping is great.

BT Infinity 2 (which is needed for the 76Mb service) with anytime calls (which we would need) is much more expensive than Plusnet's service.

In the end, I don't believe it's worth us upgrading.

Per month, we are currently paying ?57.74:

?32.25 - Sky TV (Entertainment Extra) + Sky HD pack

?17.99 - Sky Talk Unlimited & line rental

?7.50 - Sky Broadband Unlimited (we get around 13 Mbps, no traffic shaping)

If we switched the line rental, phone service and broadband to Plusnet, it would be ?68.73:

?32.25 - Sky TV (Entertainment Extra) + Sky HD pack

?12.99 - Plusnet line rental

?23.49 - Plusnet Talk Anytime & Plusnet Extra Fibre (76 Mbps)

Or with Line Rental Saver (pay first 12 months of line rental in advance = ?9.49 p/m) then 6 months at ?12.99), it would be ?65.23.

I know you've decided to stay with sky, but others may find it helpful.

I've heard good things about Plusnet, but had to steer clear of them when they were adamant I could get FTTC earlier this year (they were ready to book me an appointment for about 10 days later) - yet there wasn't a single FTTC cabinet laid in the area at that point.

Now unless they have their own magic FTTC service, I can't understand why they were so adamant on the phone? Surely they have access to the same BT Openreach database as every other ISP? As it turns out, The FTTC rollout where I live meant I couldn't actually get it until July.

I know you've decided to stay with sky, but others may find it helpful.

I've heard good things about Plusnet, but had to steer clear of them when they were adamant I could get FTTC earlier this year (they were ready to book me an appointment for about 10 days later) - yet there wasn't a single FTTC cabinet laid in the area at that point.

Now unless they have their own magic FTTC service, I can't understand why they were so adamant on the phone? Surely they have access to the same BT Openreach database as every other ISP? As it turns out, The FTTC rollout where I live meant I couldn't actually get it until July.

I had a similar problem with BT. They're website said that my cabinet was hooked up to fibre and they booked me in for an installation. After two weeks of delays, rebooked appointments and loads of hassle it turned out that they're records were wrong and I was actually connected to a different cabinet that didn't have fibre. I guess PlusNet and any other ISP that use BT's network are at the mercy of BT's ineptitude.