Good intentions gone wrong

PLAINFIELD ? Two people driving down West Front Street together on Monday morning apparently thought they were doing the right thing when they leaped out of their vehicle and rushed to the defense of what appeared to be a man assaulting a woman, authorities said.

There was just one problem: The woman actually had just robbed the man with whom she was tussling, and the would-be good Samaritans inadvertently allowed her to get away, according to city Public Safety Director Martin Hellwig.

The female suspect remained at large as of late Monday.

?The two (passing motorists) were not involved (in the robbery),? Hellwig said. ?They were released and have not been charged.?

About 12:30 a.m. Monday, police responding to a report of a robbery in progress on the 500 block of West Front Street found the victim, a 26-year-old male who lives nearby, authorities explained. The victim reported that he was attacked by an unknown female as he was walking down the street, then robbed of about $400 in cash and a gold chain valued at about $500, according to Hellwig.

The victim said he tried to prevent his assailant from leaving the area, engaging her in a physical struggle, when the passing motorists apparently intervened, restraining him but not assaulting him, Hellwig said. The female suspect, spotting an opening, turned and ran, first trying unsuccessfully to hail a taxi before running down Plainfield Avenue, according to the investigation.

The victim attempted to pursue but soon lost sight of her, Hellwig added. After police arrived, the man provided a description of the motorists? vehicle ? a small, white Honda ? and a vehicle matching that description was pulled over shortly thereafter.

The would-be good Samaritans, a 21-year-old city male and a 26-year-old city female, then relayed their story to investigators. Elements of the story were confirmed when video surveillance footage from a nearby gas station was located and reviewed, Hellwig said, adding that the entire situation was complicated by the fact that the victim was intoxicated and spoke limited English.

The footage included clear images of the female suspect and the robbery, Hellwig added, noting that investigators are making progress toward identifying and locating the suspect. The robbery victim was shaken but did not require hospitalization, authorities said.

Anyone with information about the robbery is being asked to call Plainfield Police Detective Inesha Nash-Brown at 908-753-3008.

source

Ah, now come on, if the guy had been the robber you'd all be hailing him as a hero.

Sucks that this happened--I know I hate when I try to do a good thing and it gets all mucked up...

• Like 3

Women could never be criminals, right? :p

The show "What Would You Do?" had something similar to this... they had a male trying to steal a bicycle and then had a female trying to steal a bicycle... some guys walking by actually HELPED the girl steal the bike!

This is why if you get involved in stuff like that, you keep both parties there until police show up.. Cause you never know.

Ah, now come on, if the guy had been the robber you'd all be hailing him as a hero.

Sucks that this happened--I know I hate when I try to do a good thing and it gets all mucked up...

I'm not a fan of "ifs".

If this, If that, endless possibility.

Hell, we can also say "IF" the woman didn't try to steal the cash and gold chain then this wouldn't have happened.

This is why if you get involved in stuff like that, you keep both parties there until police show up.. Cause you never know.

Basically this.

That idiot boy probably was trying to be a hero to her GF.

This just goes to show how deep sexism runs in our society

It's more than that though, statistically, they might the right call.

Ideally they wouldn't have made a call at all and kept both on scene..

I'm not a fan of "ifs".

If this, If that, endless possibility.

Hell, we can also say "IF" the woman didn't try to steal the cash and gold chain then this wouldn't have happened.

Basically this.

That idiot boy probably was trying to be a hero to her GF.

Reminds me of an old Roger Whittaker song, "I Don't Believe In If Anymore."

Plainfield is only about a 10 minute drive for me and I would not be walking along Front Street after midnight. The amount of crime in the town is just crazy so the victim should have known better.