Photo

Win8 x64 WUDFHost.exe process eating up resources

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 August 2012 - 23:20

I can't find out much about WUDFHost.exe, except it's a Zune process. I don't have Zune or anything similar. It just started a few moments ago. My system slowed to a crawl. I tried to open up explorer to see wtf was going on and it took nearly a mintue for it to load.

WUDFHost.exe is eating up 90%+ of my 16gigs of mem and running at 98% of each of my quad-cores. This isn't normal. I am running my system in safe mode with networking to post this. Going to load up a Fedora to keep checking this post.

#2 AlterBridge86

AlterBridge86

Neowinian

Posted 21 August 2012 - 23:31

WUDFHost.exe is not a zune specific process, it is the user-mode driver framework host process. The fact that it is eating up tons of resources indicates that there is misbehaving driver to blame. Try removing any recently installed drivers.

#3 OP Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 August 2012 - 23:36

None were recently installed. But I have noticed in the last few days, when I defrag my system, there are a ton of driver listings that are fragmented to Hell.

#4 OP Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:04

I ran process explorer and found that WUDFHost.exe was not in the folder it should have been. I then installed Unlocker and deleted it. As soon as I did that, I was bombarder with popups. I ran Spybot S&D and found several items. Which I then deleted. No more issues.

But, this brings into effect that Win8's Windows Defender isn't adequate enough still to keep you safe.