apptrackr.....I hope you're next

#17 Osiris

Osiris

Neowinian God!

• 11,412 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 930

Posted 22 August 2012 - 14:35

apptrackr.....I hope you're next

I welcome the arrival of Apptrekr...the relaunch of the apptrackr site taken down in rudy's dreams :p

#18 bigmehdi

bigmehdi

Neowinian

• 1,140 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 14:35

People really need to pirate $0.99 apps? Honestly, it's more cost effective to buy them if your time is worth anything to you. It's easier, you get everything one one place, you can always re-download a copy and it'll update on its own.

You just implicitely stated that the available piracy won't prevent people from buying the android apps, and hence this anti piracy fight is moot. I'd also add that not in every country buying stuff online is something natural, I'm thinking especially of africa.

#19 giantpotato

giantpotato

Neowinian Senior

• 3,138 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 14:59

You just implicitely stated that the available piracy won't prevent people from buying the android apps, and hence this anti piracy fight is moot. I'd also add that not in every country buying stuff online is something natural, I'm thinking especially of africa.

Sorry but that logic doesn't make sense. That's like saying since some people have jobs and will earn money legitimately, the fight against money counterfeiters is moot.

#20 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,291 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 15:02

Who cares people should get a job or stop being cheapskates and buy the apps.

#21 bigmehdi

bigmehdi

Neowinian

• 1,140 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 18:21

Sorry but that logic doesn't make sense. That's like saying since some people have jobs and will earn money legitimately, the fight against money counterfeiters is moot.

Well if counterfeiting money was easy, I bet lot of people would stop to work.
The usual argument against piracy, is that it induce profit loss. I'm saying that the apps are so cheap, that most likely in this case that's not true.
Also I add , that people are pirating not necessarily only because they cannot afford an app.
Buying stuff online is not easy in all countries of the world, I'd like to remind it.

#22 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,683 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 19:13

So what do you suggest?

Why do I have to suggest anything?

#23 +Xinok

Xinok

Resident Reresident

• 3,497 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S3

Posted 22 August 2012 - 20:55

Torrents (and P2P in general) are harder to take down because they're decentralized. They don't host any of the material which gives them some defense, and shutting down the website doesn't destroy the torrent as there are plenty of copies on dozens of other websites.

But with these websites and file lockers like MegaUpload, when you take these sites offline, the content goes with it. The MegaUpload shutdown sent a tremor through the business, with many taking drastic measures (such as blacklisting US users) to avoid action against themselves. So it does have an effect, even if it's a negligible one.

#24 +Seahorsepip

Seahorsepip

http://seapip.com

• 1,600 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 22 August 2012 - 20:56

People really need to pirate $0.99 apps? Honestly, it's more cost effective to buy them if your time is worth anything to you. It's easier, you get everything one one place, you can always re-download a copy and it'll update on its own.

It's because the VS is the only place where all people have a creditcard, here in europe just a few people have a creditcard and youngsters can't buy a creditcards because their parents aren't going to allow it and buying a $20 prepaid creditcard is just plain stupid when you only want a $0.99 game/app...
Google needs to just add better support for alternate payment methods to decrease the piracy since the credit card part is the main reason why people pirate apps.

It's not that hard to solve, remember when you had one of those old Sony Ericson's/Nokia's and bought a game by just sending 2 sms's? that's way more userfriandly for youngersts with a prepaid simcard and make them avoid the trouble of pirating it :p

#25 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 22:28

People really need to pirate $0.99 apps?

I thought that too. That is ridiculous.

#26 xeleraph

xeleraph

Neowinian

• 262 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 23:27

Why do I have to suggest anything?

Because you're dismissing these efforts, yet at the same time you're claim that you're not saying the authorities should simply allow piracy to happen. The problem is, if all you do is disparage anti-piracy efforts without proposing your own solution, it essentially means that the authorities shouldn't do anything and should just overlook piracy - whether you're actually saying it or not.

So, what's your suggestion? Or are you just claiming to say that something needs to be done, while shooting down everything that's being done?

#27 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,683 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 00:18

^ it's not my job to come up with solutions. And just because I said that their efforts will not work does not mean I condone the actions.

#28 still1

still1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,990 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 00:30

Hopefully with the new app encryption feature the piracy will reduce.

#29 xeleraph

xeleraph

Neowinian

• 262 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 00:32

^ it's not my job to come up with solutions. And just because I said that their efforts will not work does not mean I condone the actions.

And, unfortunately, just because you don't condone the actions doesn't mean you think the authorities should do something about it, either.

When your only job is to play armchair critic and say that every effort that's being made won't work but offer no suggestions of your own, the end result is identical than saying that we should just let piracy slide. You closet piracy supporters really need to come up with better tactics than just shooting everything down but offering no solutions of your own, so that in the end nothing is done to stop piracy.

#30 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,683 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 00:51

^ wow, you are full of it. I guess no one can have an opinion. huh. And I didn't speak out against rape or murder dith but hey according to you I must support it.

its called giving an opinion. and history had proven these methods do not work. I do not have to give a solution.

but I'm done with you and will not argue anymore about giving my opinion.