Nintendo Power ends after 24 years

Nintendo decided not to renew their contract with Future so there will be no more Nintendo Power magazines after 24 years of publication.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/08/source-nintendo-power-magazine-to-cease-publication/

IGN has quotes from editors, producers, and writers from various magazines and online media:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/21/farewell-nintendo-power

I used to read these all the time when I was younger. Honestly didn't realize they were still being made; its a bit sad to see another part of my childhood ending. :(

I remember the first time i saw screenshots of Secret of Mana in Nintendo Powers ... That was the good old days ;) I did not read the whole articles back then since i did not understand english enough but i could watch the magazine for hours just for the small screenshots. There was a sense of mystery back then without the internet you never really knew when and if a japanese game was coming to NA. Every pieces of information we had could be found in this magazine and Electronic Gaming Magazine. I think i still have my first EGM with the bonk revenge cover laying somewhere lol ...

It's sad but it was expected. There's no place for print video game magazines these days with internet.

Still i can't help but feel sad :(

I remember when I used to get my subscription in the early to mid 90s, then the internet came and I stopped getting magazines. It was great but I can see why stopping the publication makes sense for Nintendo

All I can remember is the Super Mario World and A Link to the Past comics... and not getting my free copy of Dragon Warrior :laugh:

Man.. the memories.. I used to have boxes and boxes of those magazines. I wonder what happened to them all..

All I can remember is the Super Mario World and A Link to the Past comics... and not getting my free copy of Dragon Warrior :laugh:

Hah! I totally got my copy of Dragon Warrior, and played it for like, 1000 hours. And beat it! :laugh:

Part of my is sad to see it go. I used to read NP and other magazines all the time when I was younger.

However, the other part of me is happy to see another one go. Gaming magazines today are more of a nuisance than anything else. The only thing they do now is imposed arbitrary publication restrictions on almost every gaming news outlet, so their out-dated information can be "exclusive". All the information they publish is/has been on the internet long before the issue is released.

I remember those as well. Sad to see them go, but I can see their reasoning.

I have a friend that used to work at Nintendo and helped write a lot of the tips and such. He also had his high scores posted a few times in the mag, and his Samus Aran tattoo featured in the magazine. :)

I occasionally buy the Official Nintendo Magazine in the UK if only for the free gifts :p (My yearly Nintendo calendar, 3DS case / game cases, the occasional nice poster, etc :p)

Shame they cut it just a few months before the WiiU hit though, might have been handy to have it stay at least until a few months after it'd launched.

Damn, I still like holding something in my hand as I read all of it instead of just skipping to what I like. I don't want to see print go as I think the money they charge helps to have better writers. Gameinformer has some of the best stuff imo and is my main source of gaming news. IGN is pretty solid but that is it with just looking at Kotaku for ****s.

I remember reading various issues from 1999 to 2002. The first issue I ever bought was issue 151. It was the first issue to feature a GameCube game on the cover (Super Smash Bros. Melee). I read every single page at least 10 times. I remember bringing it to school and having all my schoolmates huddle around me as we read each page. I regret not purchasing more issues and it's sad that they're ceasing publication.

People ... still ... read magazines ...?

A lot of people on this board grew up reading Nintendo Power. A lot of gaming magazines and websites were created because of Nintendo Power. It was the only source of gaming until the Internet. Its a culture icon and will be missed by a lot of people. I had a subscription myself for 8-10 years. I never agreed with them outsourcing it to Future and I think they realized it was a mistake.

All these mass layoffs by game developers, and now this? :(

What to do with all these jobs?

Also, I wish I had kept my Nintendo Power mags too. ._.

Tey tuk'r jubs!!!!