Slow internet speeds with Comcast

So three days ago our internet connection crapped out to the point that speed tests were registering around 1 MB's up and down, which rendered our Magic Jack inoperable. I called Comcast and they informed me that there was an issue with the signal (it was showing red on there end) and this afternoon a tech came out and checked the line and said that there was some sort of noise but when he tested at the tap he said it had disappeared. He then decided to swap the modem out and after that point it was going really good (speed wise) now this evening I noticed that it was crawling again. This is the speed I see 164375162.png compared to what is in my sig. What should I do next?

Well after calling them again, they determined that the modem (docis 2.0 modem) that was just installed is not a correct one for the package that we have, so they will dispatch someone between 8-10 tomorrow to replace and do a line check.

Well after calling them again, they determined that the modem (docis 2.0 modem) that was just installed is not a correct one for the package that we have, so they will dispatch someone between 8-10 tomorrow to replace and do a line check.

Wow. I would definitely say it's not the right type of modem. Last I checked (I used to contract for Comcast) they were not even giving out Docsis 2.0 equipment anymore. Hopefully they get that sorted for you. I'd have them test inside & outside a couple times and see what they get.

The tech was unable to swap modems due to not having any, he also determined that the line from the box to the apartment is bad, so he has scheduled it to be fixed this Sunday... hopefully it works out!

The tech was unable to swap modems due to not having any, he also determined that the line from the box to the apartment is bad, so he has scheduled it to be fixed this Sunday... hopefully it works out!

I hate to turn this into a Comcast bashing thread, but that is a typical move for Comcast. "We know you need something, so we'll send a tech out there who doesn't have it." Great plan. I hate the BS games they play...

Anyway, good luck!

That all seems good so D3 seems to be your salvation then. You have a D2 modem which only uses 1 channel at a time. When that channel gets bogged down so does your speed. A D3 modem would send most of it's traffic on another channel as it has up to 8 of them to choose from (depending on your setup in your area :)).

I hate to turn this into a Comcast bashing thread, but that is a typical move for Comcast. "We know you need something, so we'll send a tech out there who doesn't have it." Great plan. I hate the BS games they play...

Anyway, good luck!

That's actually the technicians fault. They are supposed to view their service calls for the day and stock their truck appropriately.

It's sort of like being a locksmith, and forgetting your picks when going to a lockout. Is it the fault of the office that sent you out, or you for not snagging your equipment?

For the modem...huh...yeah those levels are fairly normal for a D2 modem...hopefully the D3 helps a bit, since as stated more channels is a good thing. :)

That's actually the technicians fault. They are supposed to view their service calls for the day and stock their truck appropriately.

Regardless of whose fault it is, the technician is a representative of Comcast and therefore, it's Comcast's fault. :) Maybe I'm a little bitter. I had an issue trying to get a CableCard a while back which took 4 truck rolls. The first three times, after taking each day off of work, the technician shows up without a CableCard and tries to convince me that I need a set top box. In the end I got what I needed, but it took way more than it should have.

Anyway, I hope the OP has better luck than I have had with Comcast.

Regardless of whose fault it is, the technician is a representative of Comcast and therefore, it's Comcast's fault. :) Maybe I'm a little bitter. I had an issue trying to get a CableCard a while back which took 4 truck rolls. The first three times, after taking each day off of work, the technician shows up without a CableCard and tries to convince me that I need a set top box. In the end I got what I needed, but it took way more than it should have.

Anyway, I hope the OP has better luck than I have had with Comcast.

To an extent. A lot of times the Comcast techs are actually employees of a third-party (or it used to be this way, not sure if it still is) and are supposed to collect the gear they need before they go out.

This might be why Comcast has started to use more and more of their own techs for jobs, instead of hiring other companies to do the work. I do know they recently stepped things up with their 'guarantee' that if the tech doesn't show up on time, or doesn't have the equipment that was ordered that you get some sort of perk if you report it.

OK, so today they sent another tech out to run a new line, however he was not able to do so due to us living in an apartment, and no manager on the weekends. So he has requested that they come out and bury a new line and then they will wire a new jack into one of the bedrooms, this whole process will take ~14 days for them to come out and bury the cable, etc. but on the plus side he was able to replace the modem with a D3 , unfortunately it is a EMTA, and we do not use Comcast Digital Voice, but we might look into doing it in the future.

@SHoTTa35 here is a screen shot of the modem now: 331439397.png

Actually if it's an EMTA it's a good thing in a way. They have a battery backup on them in case of power outages. So if the power goes out for some reason you can plug straight into the modem with an ethernet cable and use your laptop for a bit for any emergency purposes. :)

exactly why my wife and I dropped Comcast. Love Fios Quantum

• 7 months later...