Americans Throw Away 40 Percent of Our Food Every Day

http://www.theatlant...very-day/56060/

A new study says that the American food chain is so wasteful that roughly 40 percent of all our food goes uneaten, because we basically just throw it in the garbage. The report, which was issued by the National Resources Defense Council (via Reuters), looks at inefficiencies throughout our entire food production system ? from the farm to stores to homes and restaurants ? and finds that Americans throw out about $165 billion worth of food every year, or 20 pounds of food per person per month. That doesn't include the water used in the growing and production of wasted food (about one quarter of all our freshwater consumption), the cost to transport it, put it on and remove it from shelves, and the space in takes up in our landfills, where it ends up contributing 25 percent of the methane emissions in the United States.

Where does it all go? Well, some of it lost before it even makes it to consumers: Fruit that's edible, but not quite pretty enough for stores; animals that get sick and can't be slaughtered; fish that aren't frozen properly and rot on a dock. Then there's the "illusion of abundance" created by grocery stores. No store wants its shelves to ever appear to be empty, so they are constantly restocked with fresh alternatives that can never be sold fast enough to match the replacement rate. Unless shoppers storm the store five minutes before closing and buy it all up, most of the fresh produce and vegetables will end up in dumpsters that night. Then there are our refrigerators, which pile up with unused items that get tossed out with every "spring cleaning." Meanwhile, restaurants serve us portions that are too big to finish and entire neighborhoods go without places to buy fresh food.

The NRDC says that if waste was reduced by just 15 percent, we could feed 25 million people for a year. The United Kingdom launched an awareness campaign that helped cut back on waste, but the amount of edible food that simply gets tossed in the garbage is still astounding.

I hate seeing food go to waste. And I agree with SOOPRcow, portion sizes are often times way too big.

Olive Garden for example has me full with their zuppa toscana soup "appetizer"...

I hate seeing food go to waste. And I agree with SOOPRcow, portion sizes are often times way too big.

Olive Garden for example has me full with their zuppa toscana soup "appetizer"...

I always love when you go to a resturant and order only an appetizer, they look at you like you are nuts, and yet the appetizer is larger the most normal meals.... but I never got why people don't just take the left overs home, I always do... eat them for lunch the next day or as a snack... never waste food if its good still

Like one of the resturants up here, order breaded Zucchinni they give you 10 very large pieces... enough to feed 2 people as a whole meal as an appetizer

I eat pretty small portions, I waste a lot when I go out to eat cause the portions are so big :\

Thats why I always share with a friend when I have some take out. Never understood why north american food portions have to be so big.

I always love when you go to a resturant and order only an appetizer, they look at you like you are nuts, and yet the appetizer is larger the most normal meals.... but I never got why people don't just take the left overs home, I always do... eat them for lunch the next day or as a snack... never waste food if its good still

Like one of the resturants up here, order breaded Zucchinni they give you 10 very large pieces... enough to feed 2 people as a whole meal as an appetizer

It's frowned upon.

That's consumerism for you.

Thats why I always share with a friend when I have some take out. Never understood why north american food portions have to be so big.

It's frowned upon.

That's consumerism for you.

What's frowned upon? taking left overs home? I've never had a resturant frown on that, that I have been to

What's frowned upon? taking left overs home? I've never had a resturant frown on that, that I have been to

My experience is quite the opposite. I've seen many restaurants and clients who give you a funny look if you take left overs. That's why people don't do it. A friend told me once that she don't do it because people 'might think she's poor and does not have anything to eat at home', I remained silent.

My experience is quite the opposite. I've seen many restaurants and clients who give you a funny look if you take left overs. That's why people don't do it. A friend told me once that she don't do it because people 'might think she's poor and does not have anything to eat at home', I remained silent.

That'd definatly odd, every resturant I've ever been to around the country asked me if I had stuff left if I would like a box to take it home at the end.. talking actualy resturants that have waiters / waitresses not fast food or food joints that are buy and sit yourself of course..

and I never got why people care what others think, I could care less if someone thought I was poor, that's just their own wrong perception... people that are that shallow aren't people you want to be friends with anyways

• Like 3

I always try to eat it all at a restaurant or I order less. If it is good I will ask to take out if it is not good, I leave it there.

I never buy more than I can eat, however there have been cases with some vegies I had to through out (though I gave some to my bunny).

What is shocking for me is not the fact that you or I through away food is the grocery stores not lowering the price to sell and they through it away. They should be penalized for that big time. Lower the damn price and people will buy!!!!!!!

**** that man, you have paid for the whole meal so you should be allowed to take it home. I have always asked anytime I have been at a restaurant because I dont give a damn about what waiters think of me, you pay for it you are entitled to it.

That'd definatly odd, every resturant I've ever been to around the country asked me if I had stuff left if I would like a box to take it home at the end.. talking actualy resturants that have waiters / waitresses not fast food or food joints that are buy and sit yourself of course..

and I never got why people care what others think, I could care less if someone thought I was poor, that's just their own wrong perception... people that are that shallow aren't people you want to be friends with anyways

80% of the places I've gone to around here including the high priced reservation only places still ask if you'd like that boxed up to go. I too don't understand how someone could think because you're getting the food you paid for to go represents how much income you make.

I eat pretty small portions, I waste a lot when I go out to eat cause the portions are so big :\

Same here. Sometimes, I will take the food home but some food just doesnt taste good reheated the next day.

Personally, I wish they would drop the portions at restaurants or offer different sizes. Some have the lunch and meal choices with the lunch being smaller. But the lunch is still to big.

And more people are eating out these days as well. Eat at home and make the food portion you will eat, Growing up we never ate out and have very little leftovers.

Well, depends. I have seen people ask for to go boxes at all you can eat buffets. They REALLY frown on that and most of the time, will not give you a to go box. People would get the empty boxes, go back in line (after they ate and are now full), fill them up, and leave. Makes those people feel cheap and if they are poor, kinda feel for them, People do need to eat.

The only situation where leftovers are frowned upon is an all-you-can-eat buffet. Other than that, if they have a problem, they can go **** themselves.

Oh, I totally do! ;)

You paranoid. It's a perfectly acceptable and normal practice that is performed by regular people.

Its same here. I work in a F&B business and I daily see wastage figures. Allot of product (foods) which does not get sold by EOD is wasted. Makes me wonder why dont they create a better and efficient forecast. Create different serving sizes for customer to choose from, not everyone consume the same quantity. Have to realise that if the business is still showing profitability after so much wastage that mean they are covering the wastage loss by hacking up the prices for the food that is actually sold to us. Once I asked a collegue of mine about this he simply told me to mind my on f***ing business :/ .

Also I am not sure about taking the left over, because as per health authorities allot of fresh food have to be consumed in same day, unless it meets certain production and storage standards.

Based on the size of food portions in the US I can't say I'm surprised at this news.