Apple hit with injunction in South Korea for patent infringement

Apple products banned in South Korea.

A split decision ruling in Seoul District Court found Apple guilty of infringing two Samsung patents, reports The Wall Street Journal. As a result, Apple will be barred from selling its infringing products in South Korea; products that include the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4, as well as the company's first and second generation iPads, reports Chosun. Apple will also need to pay Samsung the ridiculously small sum of ?40 million in damages, about $35,000.

The verdict has not been finalized, making it unclear what Apple's recourse to the injunction might be. Samsung first filed suit against Apple in Korea for patent infringement in April of last year, after which Apple countersued, claiming Samsung infringed patents on its product design and user interface.

http://www.theverge....ct-announcement

Good thing i went with WP. Let the unoriginals fight over whos UI looks like whos

Good thing i went with WP. Let the unoriginals fight over whos UI looks like whos

While I agree that WP is awesome...wasn't the issue between Apple & Samsung with the design of the hardware, not the UI?

While I agree that WP is awesome...wasn't the issue between Apple & Samsung with the design of the hardware, not the UI?

Depends on what court case you're talking about. The UI is in dispute in at least one case that I know of. I'm pretty sure it's both.

Yes, because Windows was an original idea. Good thing MS wasnt original back in the day...or you wouldnt have your WP. At least, not how you know it today.

The UI, Touchwiz specifically, has a lot of similarities that Apple is suing over. Icon shape, color, graphics used in the icon, layout of the icons.....

Yes, because Windows was an original idea. Good thing MS wasnt original back in the day...or you wouldnt have your WP. At least, not how you know it today.

Red herring.

There has been an update to the story. Looks like Samsung has a few products banned as well....

Samsung isn't getting out unscathed, either. It will need to stop selling the Galaxy SII and Galaxy Tab 10.1 in its home country, as well as pay ?25 million, about $22,000, for infringing Apple's bounce-back patent. The court ruled Samsung did not infringe Apple's other software patents, including slide-to-unlock, or its patents on product and packaging design.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/23/3264434/apple-samsung-korea-lawsuit-verdict-announcement

All this is getting really stupid. Something new every day and no end in sight.

So they blocked two old versions of the iPhone, and an old iPad ?

I doubt Apple is crying about people being forced to buy the newest versions of their products lol.

So they blocked two old versions of the iPhone, and an old iPad ?

I doubt Apple is crying about people being forced to buy the newest versions of their products lol.

Korean newspaper reported its also iphone 4s

details is not yet confirmed.

The title for this thread is inaccurate. Both companies were found guilty of patent infringement.

The OP is the original post/topic from The Verge. The Verge later updated their post and this just never got posted. I did post a link and a quote a few posts above tho.

Sounds like a just judgement to me. Minimal fine as really, there have been no actual lost sales, and all infringing devices banned. Can't ask for a fairer judgement.

Would be amusing if the same happened in the US case.

The title for this thread is inaccurate. Both companies were found guilty of patent infringement.

Was what I thought this morning when this story was mentioned on the radio, and me remembering this thread in BPN. But I see there was an update.

Also :rofl: at your avatar