new hampshire

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#16 jerzdawg

jerzdawg

Neowinian

• 5,333 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 15:10

No it should be used to live their life. I come from Australia and over here we have a tenancy to knock people down when the get successful, but in the US you lot kick them when they are at their lowest. Don't you people have any compassion.

so some schmuck who is down on their luck should be able to use money that comes out of MY paycheck to buy alcohol and tobacco products? GTFOH. The "system" should be a stepping stool, not a crutch. If you are that "poor" to require assistance then surely there must be more important products you can purchase.
I do agree that the cashier should not have chosen her job as his soap box, but I do agree with her principals.

It's not your place (or mine) to say what other people do with their lives. You live yours and let them live theirs

This statement is only true when the "other people" do not effect my life (or the lives of others). While the amount of taxes and other burdens "other people" place on the state and federal level its not as black and white as you seem to think.

#17 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• 15,043 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 15:15

It's not your place (or mine) to say what other people do with their lives. You live yours and let them live theirs

Well, um, it does become our place when it is our tax money. Sorry. I don't agree with the extremist point of view here. I believe in a safety net for people but I believe it should be there to protect the middle class. Without the safety net we would have a lot of desperate folks out there and with despair comes all kinds of crime and other social problems.

#18 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

• 11,021 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 15:41

All this outrage about "your tax payer money being used wrong" on people buying cigs, yet you guys say nothing about the other millions of ways it is used wrong. Sheesh, priorities are ****ed by so many.

#19 sidroc

sidroc

The critic

• 4,834 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 16:04

All this outrage about "your tax payer money being used wrong" on people buying cigs, yet you guys say nothing about the other millions of ways it is used wrong. Sheesh, priorities are ****ed by so many.

I think we can agree for once to an extent. This is like complaining about a daily coffee expense when you spend 80,000 a month for rent. Sure you could kick the coffee expense but it won't solve the problem.

#20 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,354 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 24 August 2012 - 16:10

If everyone think like you I guess we are still in the middle ages.

#21 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

• 11,021 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 16:54

If everyone think like you I guess we are still in the middle ages.

Actually the opposite. Did you ever learn about the dark ages, when thought was restricted and certain life styles were pushed onto society... Open thinking and living is what leads to progression. It doesn't hinder it. Hindering is putting restrictions on certain things that people can do. Purchasing cigs is nothing that affects anything in the big picture. Small minded thinking doesn't get people very far. Look at the bigger picture, and the larger issues that affect the nation, and you will see why this is nothing.

#22 sidroc

sidroc

The critic

• 4,834 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 17:00

Actually the opposite. Did you ever learn about the dark ages, when thought was restricted and certain life styles were pushed onto society... Open thinking and living is what leads to progression. It doesn't hinder it. Hindering is putting restrictions on certain things that people can do. Purchasing cigs is nothing that affects anything in the big picture. Small minded thinking doesn't get people very far. Look at the bigger picture, and the larger issues that affect the nation, and you will see why this is nothing.

Sorry, they shoulnt be able to buy them on EBT period. I will agree in saying that, while reprehensible, we got bigger issues to worry about that are far far more pressing, but that doesnt change the fact of how wrong allowing this is.

#23 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,354 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 24 August 2012 - 17:02

Sorry, they shoulnt be able to buy them on EBT period. I will agree in saying that, while reprehensible, we got bigger issues to worry about that are far far more pressing, but that doesnt change the fact of how wrong allowing this is.

EBT should be for necessities, not cig/booze/coke etc...

#24 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

• 11,021 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 17:03

If you are bad enough that you need such assistance, you should have some way to escape from the pressure of that burden. It's better its spent on something that is at least seen as legal than on something illegal. We are all entitled to a little relief from life, and the poor should not be excluded just because they can't afford it. Not saying they should be spending it all on just guilty selfish pleasures, but a little here and there is not something to frown upon on anybody.

#25 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 17:07

I agree here. EBT should not be used to purchase 'luxury items'. In fact here in Washington (I just read the laws) it's actually illegal to do this.

So before saying that there are no laws against it, there actually are some state laws that prohibit their usage for such items.

If you are bad enough that you need such assistance, you should have some way to escape from the pressure of that burden. It's better its spent on something that is at least seen as legal than on something illegal. We are all entitled to a little relief from life, and the poor should not be excluded just because they can't afford it. Not saying they should be spending it all on just guilty selfish pleasures, but a little here and there is not something to frown upon on anybody.

Considering that 1-pack of cigarettes a day here in the US is going to run them around $150 a month...I don't consider that a little here and there. That's a significant chunk of monthly benefits.

Then let's say they buy 3 bottles of booze a month. That's about $50 right there. So $200 on vices per month IS a huge, HUGE chunk.

Now imagine if even just 50,000 of the receipients are doing this. That's $12,000,000 a year in benefits that could actually be used for its intended purpose.

#26 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 25,846 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 17:09

THE HELL IT IS!!!!!!!! i do not want some worthless entitled piece of **** to use my tax money to buy themselves cigarettes or anything else that is not essential to their day to day life.

#27 sidroc

sidroc

The critic

• 4,834 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 17:10

I agree here. EBT should not be used to purchase 'luxury items'. In fact here in Washington (I just read the laws) it's actually illegal to do this.

So before saying that there are no laws against it, there actually are some state laws that prohibit their usage for such items.

Since when? I did my Wal Mart cashier stint after highschool in Washington and I distinctly remember people using the fast cash portion of their EBT to buy massive amounts of alcohyal and ciggs. It shocked me because their EBT money bought huge amounts of soda and junk food, and the fast cash money (supposed to be a type of disability pay) over 100 in fash cash towards alcohal and ciggs (2 cartons and 3 18 packs usually).

#28 ninja502

ninja502

Neowinian

• 156 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 17:22

wouldn't be able to in here in kentucky as it should be anyways

How are SNAP benefits used? Posted Image

Your household's SNAP benefits will be deposited into a SNAP benefit account each month. Your household will receive an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card and a Personal Identification Number (PIN) in the mail to use to access your food benefit account.
Sign the back of your EBT card right away. SNAP benefits can be used just like money to purchase almost any food item, except ready-to-eat hot foods. You may also use SNAP benefits to buy seeds and plants to grow fruits and vegetables. The following items cannot be purchased with SNAP benefits: tobacco, alcohol, pet food, soap and other household products, medicines, and other non-food items.

#29 sidroc

sidroc

The critic

• 4,834 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 17:25

wouldn't be able to in here in kentucky as it should be anyways

How are SNAP benefits used? Posted Image

Your household's SNAP benefits will be deposited into a SNAP benefit account each month. Your household will receive an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card and a Personal Identification Number (PIN) in the mail to use to access your food benefit account.
Sign the back of your EBT card right away. SNAP benefits can be used just like money to purchase almost any food item, except ready-to-eat hot foods. You may also use SNAP benefits to buy seeds and plants to grow fruits and vegetables. The following items cannot be purchased with SNAP benefits: tobacco, alcohol, pet food, soap and other household products, medicines, and other non-food items.

Any Canadians or UK Neowinians care to comment on if you can buy alcohol or ciggs on your equivelant programs?

#30 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,499 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 17:35

Any Canadians or UK Neowinians care to comment on if you can buy alcohol or ciggs on your equivelant programs?

In Quebec, Canada you can.

There's not such a thing as food stamps here. It's called Bien être social (people call it simply BS) in french. People who doesn't work get a check every month from the gouv. It's of course a relatively small check but people can buy crap with it if they want. Most of those people live in what is called HLM or Habitation a loyer modique which is "state" sponsored apartment building at a lower cost (you don't want to live in those for long unless you' have really low standard of living).

It's surely different in Alberta.

Here and there people talk about preventing BS from buying **** but it's never really seriously considered simply because it would be hard and costly to enforce. A limit to the number of years you can be on BS (unless you have a disability) would be fine though.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!