Cashier Refuses to Accept EBT For Cigarettes, is Fired

Any Canadians or UK Neowinians care to comment on if you can buy alcohol or ciggs on your equivelant programs?

here in Ontario, there are two help programs, Ontario Works (aka welfare) and Ontario Disability Support Program. ODSP is for those that have disabilities (whether mental or physical) but are still able to work

neither program restricts what one can and can't purchase.

No supprise here. It's free obama bucks after all. While these funds can help others really in need of financial support, we give it to some lazy bottom feeders to get their smoke and drink. Great job there obama !!!

This. And to the 'free Obama bucks' comment, you do realize that EBT, food stamps, welfare, etc. has been going on LONG before he took office, right?

As a matter of fact, when I was a kid, when my family was trying to get back on its feet after a tough spell, that's how we got by....during the Reagan years.

Obama bucks? heck that's as stupid as me calling the G.W.Bush bucks because he relaxed welfare laws after clinton made them more strict.....

New Hampshire is allowing the purchase of alcohol/tobacco, its not a federal decision.

It is upsetting when people talk about "their" tax money like the taxes they pay go to specific people. Maybe "your" tax dollars went to a farmer that just received a subsidy. Maybe "your" tax money went to a congressman that missed his last two votes in senate. Maybe "your" tax money went to fix the highway that you travel to visit your family that lives out of town or the policeman that investigated the murder on the other side of town. I say all this because I am not upset how my tax money is used instead I use my vote to try and change the influences in my community-city-state-country. Our few dollars are minute in the scheme of things. Look at the million/billion dollar businesses that received tax dollars. Is it better that they were not "bottom" feeders? The just fed on those on the bottom. Not trying to change any opinions just trying to broaden some thinking.

Considering that everyone pays taxes, and then those taxes are distributed, then yes it is my taxes, and your taxes, and my neighbors taxes, etc.

How about this form of addressing it. I hate paying taxes into a system that allows for rampant abuse and purchase of 'luxury items' via a system that is meant to support someone minimally while they attempt to get back on their feet.

It's not your place (or mine) to say what other people do with their lives. You live yours and let them live theirs

Except when they're taking MY tax dollars, then yes, I have every right to dictate how that assistance can be spent. If they don't like the terms, they are free to seek assistance from their other local charities/religious organization, or even *gasp* get a job of their own...

Obama bucks? heck that's as stupid as me calling the G.W.Bush bucks because he relaxed welfare laws after clinton made them more strict.....

Actually, it was Obama who by executive order removed the work requirement from welfare without congressional approval.

Actually, it was Obama who by executive order removed the work requirement from welfare without congressional approval.

Wow, you really bought that Romney ad campaign pretty hard didn't you? Even the press (multiple papers), FactCheck.org, & Politifact have already put the lie to that accusation. The work requirement was never removed.

In fact just to put some real facts behind this, here's a quote from the directive that was issued:

"The secretary is only interested in approving waivers if the state can explain in a compelling fashion why the proposed approach may be a more efficient or effective means to promote employment entry, retention, advancement, or access to jobs that offer opportunities for earnings and advancement that will allow participants to avoid dependence on government benefits."

I agree that taxpayers money should not be used for unhealthy vices like booze and cigarettes.

And yes -- I know that some EBT-bought foods can be unhealthy.

And although Obama did not start EBT, he could could certainly lobby Congress to tighten up the rules that allow purchasing tobacco & alcohol.

When you want Obama to do something at the federal level, you blame him for not doing it, even if he has no business doing it. When he does something that you don't like, you cry state's rights. Typical.

The 2009 stimulus plan from obama did remove the work requirement from food stamps.

Wow, you really bought that Romney ad campaign pretty hard didn't you? Even the press (multiple papers), FactCheck.org, & Politifact have already put the lie to that accusation. The work requirement was never removed.

In fact just to put some real facts behind this, here's a quote from the directive that was issued:

"The secretary is only interested in approving waivers if the state can explain in a compelling fashion why the proposed approach may be a more efficient or effective means to promote employment entry, retention, advancement, or access to jobs that offer opportunities for earnings and advancement that will allow participants to avoid dependence on government benefits."

No supprise here. It's free obama bucks after all. While these funds can help others really in need of financial support, we give it to some lazy bottom feeders to get their smoke and drink. Great job there obama !!!

Yeah, and EBT cards didn't exist while the idiot GW Bush was in office. Way to blame everything everyone does wrong on Obama.

over here in california EBT or food stamp can only be used on food, not cig or booz.

Same in Arizona; they swipe the card, and it pays only for the items that are valid. Everything else, the customer has to use either cash or another form of payment. It's an automatic thing that is controlled by the cash register system, not the individual cashier.

Yeah, and EBT cards didn't exist while the idiot GW Bush was in office. Way to blame everything everyone does wrong on Obama.

Same in Arizona; they swipe the card, and it pays only for the items that are valid. Everything else, the customer has to use either cash or another form of payment. It's an automatic thing that is controlled by the cash register system, not the individual cashier.

I think we are confusing Fast Caah and EBT (Both are SNAP Programs).

I think we are confusing Fast Caah and EBT (Both are SNAP Programs).

I only know that in Arizona, EBT cards will not cover the cost of alcohol or tobacco products. After they swipe their card, the remaining balance of items not covered by EBT is remaining and they must give some other form of currency.

No it should be used to live their life. I come from Australia and over here we have a tenancy to knock people down when the get successful, but in the US you lot kick them when they are at their lowest. Don't you people have any compassion.

I stopped reading at the word "tenancy"...

The 2009 stimulus plan from obama did remove the work requirement from food stamps.

Food stamps are regulated on a state level (at least they are everywhere I've lived)...so mind posting a source for that, since that would be a states right issue, and not anything federal to begin with.

Hmm... Weird. We have EBT in Rhode Island, and there ARE restrictions on what products can and can not be purchased with EBT. I used to shop for a client (Worked in home health care) and she'd need everything from food to pet supplies and toiletries, to cigarettes and alcohol... And I'm pretty sure EBT only paid for the food... I don't even think EBT paid for things like toilet paper here. Honestly, the cashier was wrong, in that if its not illegal she (or was it he? I forget) had no right to stop people from buying those things... Though I will say that I generally find it appalling that state funds meant to put food on families' tables are being used en masse to buy cigarettes and booze. Seriously, what an insult to taxpayers and the program itself. People have very little decency anymore. We all have to pay extra taxes so Joe Blow Alcoholic can keep the shakes away....

That would make sense in the UK tbh as well having a card like that. In the UK you can get crisis loans which are meant to be used for emergencies but they dont make it very hard to lie as you dont need to provide proof of having no money!

Also budgeting loans, you can get up to ?1500(not at one time) for deposits for flats/washing machines etc. Washing machines is ok as you have to provide a receipt after buying it but the deposit they ask for no proof! It's too easy to get money from benefits in the UK and the government complain about the costs.

It's not your place (or mine) to say what other people do with their lives. You live yours and let them live theirs

It's tax payer dollars they are using to support their habit that isn't beneficial to society, their health or a necessity for living. So tax payers should have a say on how their tax dollars are used. If people need help to get by and live, that shouldn't include something that isn't needed to get by.

I agree that taxpayers money should not be used for unhealthy vices like booze and cigarettes.

And yes -- I know that some EBT-bought foods can be unhealthy.

And although Obama did not start EBT, he could could certainly lobby Congress to tighten up the rules that allow purchasing tobacco & alcohol.

EBT/SNAP are very strict. You can't use that to purchase cigarretts or anything else besides food. Are you really desperate in putting blame on him that much?

Considering that everyone pays taxes, and then those taxes are distributed, then yes it is my taxes, and your taxes, and my neighbors taxes, etc.

How about this form of addressing it. I hate paying taxes into a system that allows for rampant abuse and purchase of 'luxury items' via a system that is meant to support someone minimally while they attempt to get back on their feet.

You think of tax as a handout from you to them when it could be argued as an insurance policy that these people paid before they fell on hard times and after they get back on their feet. Let's hope you never have to follow in their footsteps.

Except when they're taking MY tax dollars, then yes, I have every right to dictate how that assistance can be spent. If they don't like the terms, they are free to seek assistance from their other local charities/religious organization, or even *gasp* get a job of their own...

Again not really your tax dollars, simple an insurance payout from the tax dollars they paid in before.

You think of tax as a handout from you to them when it could be argued as an insurance policy that these people paid before they fell on hard times and after they get back on their feet. Let's hope you never have to follow in their footsteps.

Again not really your tax dollars, simple an insurance payout from the tax dollars they paid in before.

Yeah that would be the case for some people on state benefits. But the majority is probably people who dont want to work/at the age where they can get them so are freeloading for a while.

Especially in the UK, people set out there whole lives based around benefits.

There is nothing wrong with receiving benefits, I have been on state benefits a few times in between jobs etc but its the people who take the **** with it that is rediculous

Yes because it's never existed ever before Obama..

She's actually in the wrong here, EBT is a cash benefit program. If she was using food stamps then you could deny use to buy that stuff, but from what I could tell from the article, this person was just using their cash assistance to buy it.

THE HELL IT IS!!!!!!!! i do not want some worthless entitled piece of **** to use my tax money to buy themselves cigarettes or anything else that is not essential to their day to day life.

So stop paying taxes, oh wait. :rolleyes:

Too bad we didn't have an option system when paying our taxes that we could choose exactly where our tax money would go based on ranking items. Would be a good way for our money to go exactly where we want it to go. It also weed out stuff that is not important to the people compared to whats important to the politicians.

I was raised by a single mother that relied on state food & cash benefits for the first 6 years of my life, before my she met my father (stepfather, but I've never thought of him that way). I've also had a few rough patches in my life where I've had to make use of unemployment & food benefits

I am absolutely thankful that those services were there to help me get to the other side of those rough patches. That said I did not spend the benefits on anything other than essentials. Rent, utilities, food, toiletries, etc. No 'vice' or luxury items purchased off that cash. If I had a random side job (friend or someone else needed a quick PC fix) then I'd use that for anything fun like a movie or book since it wasn't given to me via the taxpayer dollars. Most of the time I would still use that to keep ahead on bills to make sure I didn't have more issues.

Never assume that someone who takes issue with people who abuse a system are not people who have never used said system responsibly.

Unemployment is indeed an insurance...it's paid by the employers into the state unemployment insurance office (ours is literally called Unemployment Insurance). That I will agree is an insurance. TANF and such programs however are taxpayer funded programs, not funded as an insurance, but as a social benefit.

Should those who are having issues be allowed to collect? Yes. They however should NOT be allowed to use it for luxury items or vice items. The various programs are designed to be used specifically for food, clothing, toiletries, etc. They are not supposed to be used for tobacco, liquor, lapdances, body modification, etc. (To clarify I have no issue with body mods, I'm actually a fan, but the money shouldn't go there either.)

Never assume that someone who takes issue with people who abuse a system are not people who have never used said system responsibly.

Should those who are having issues be allowed to collect? Yes. They however should NOT be allowed to use it for luxury items or vice items. The various programs are designed to be used specifically for food, clothing, toiletries, etc. They are not supposed to be used for tobacco, liquor, lapdances, body modification, etc. (To clarify I have no issue with body mods, I'm actually a fan, but the money shouldn't go there either.)

I don't think I did assume, I have a similar background to yours.

Now from info based on this thread there is nothing to stop these people spending their benefits on cigarettes, we may not like it, but it isn't illegal.

As for those who abuse the system it's quite simple albeit I doubt any political party would have the balls.

1. If you are under 25 and are unemployed for 12 months you go to compulsory military training for 18 months.

2. Those over 25 but under 50 and unemployed for 6 months or more are given social work (street cleaning, public park gardening, general society benefiting programs) until they find a job.

3. Those over 50 are given retraining for jobs appropriate to their age and ability after 12/18 months.