Cashier Refuses to Accept EBT For Cigarettes, is Fired

Actually I posted examples from my state (and others in this thread have as well) showing that it's a violation of our state laws to use the benefits for this. So yes it is illegal and considered fraudulent use of the benefit.

In fact the SNAP program which is what is used in New Hampshire specifically does NOT allow these types of purchases as seen here:

http://www.fns.usda....rs/eligible.htm

So please do not state that something isn't illegal when it in fact is.

Also another source for that information as well:

http://www.ebtcardba...e-ebt-card-el24

How they are getting around it is that the people with the cards are going to ATM's and taking out cash (which is allowed) and then using that cash to buy the items.

It's a loophole, which puts the stores in the position of having to allow the purchase. However it's still a misuse of the benefits per the guidelines issued by the agencies involved.

I'm not sure what the big deal with this is. The clerk was in the right. You can't buy beer, liquor, tobacco products or ready-to-eat food with EBT funds anywhere in the US. If the convenience store was allowing this they should be investigated.

As for Shane's response, it's got to be a a fluke/loophole. EBT cards should NOT even be connected to an ATM network.

I'm not sure what the big deal with this is. The clerk was in the right. You can't buy beer, liquor, tobacco products or ready-to-eat food with EBT funds anywhere in the US. If the convenience store was allowing this they should be investigated.

As for Shane's response, it's got to be a a fluke/loophole. EBT cards should NOT even be connected to an ATM network.

They do it because some states issue cash benefits for other items as well beyond just food. It's still only supposed to be used for basic items though as listed by the agencies. Luxury/Vice items like cigarettes and booze are never in the allowed list.

I agree though...they need to find a better way to handle this...instead of letting so much huge holes be in the system.