Photo
microsoft security essentials prerelease

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 DKAngel

DKAngel

That i cannot own ....I shall destroy

Posted 25 August 2012 - 15:18

Navigate to the Microsoft Security Client folder (should be under Program Files).
Right click on setup.exe and select Properties.
Select the Compatibility tab & click the 'Change settings for all users' button.
Click 'Run this program in compatibility mode for' and select Windows 7.
Close out of the dialog boxes by hitting OK in both of them.
Try running the uninstaller again from the control panel.
You can also try at that point opening an Elevated Command Prompt and Navigating to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\ and then typing in setup.exe /x

That should (note should) remove it. No attitude was needed.

unfortuantly have allready tried it it still launches the installer and just continues to say that i dont need to install it as windows 8 has a higher versionblah blah
no attitude was intended

#17 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 August 2012 - 21:48

unfortuantly have allready tried it it still launches the installer and just continues to say that i dont need to install it as windows 8 has a higher versionblah blah
no attitude was intended

The only option then at that point that I'm aware is a refresh. That will keep your personal files and such intact, and just wipe the OS clean of programs and such. I still recommend backing your save games and such up before doing so...as unpredictable things can happen.

#18 +Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi

"You were the chosen one!"

Posted 25 August 2012 - 22:01

auto-updated on all of my machines, but thank you anyway for the heads up!

#19 Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Neowinian

Posted 25 August 2012 - 22:32

Here's Windows Defender in Windows 8. There is no UI difference between this and Security Essentials. Furthermore, Windows Defender is more powerful than security essentials because it scans for malware before Windows Boots.

Posted Image

#20 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 August 2012 - 23:19

Here's Windows Defender in Windows 8. There is no UI difference between this and Security Essentials. Furthermore, Windows Defender is more powerful than security essentials because it scans for malware before Windows Boots.

There's a couple things it doesn't have still, like network inspection. So there are pluses & minuses.

#21 BeerFan

BeerFan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 August 2012 - 19:09

There's a couple things it doesn't have still, like network inspection. So there are pluses & minuses.

True. Plus we've lost the ability to right-click a file or group of files and scan them. I despise the trend of dumbing everything down.

#22 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 26 August 2012 - 19:15

Meh

For some reason I have a very hard time getting excited about anying MSE related. I've just never really considered MSE a very good antivirus.

#23 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 August 2012 - 19:16

True. Plus we've lost the ability to right-click a file or group of files and scan them. I despise the trend of dumbing everything down.

I've actually brought up the context menu & network inspection stuff to the team that works on MSE/Defender. Hopefully it will have an impact. :)