Slow Server to Server Speeds

Hi guys, just a quick question, Im copying over some large(ish) files from my Laptop to my Server (WHS2011). Both are directly conected to my router via ethernet. In theary I should get preety good (10MB +) speeds, but, as you can see from the screenshot, im hitting 16KB/Sec MAX. Any idea what could be wrong ? Would I be better off setting up an FTP on the Server side and transfering that way or would that yeald the same results ? Many thanks for reading and hopefully Ill be able to get a better transfer speed in no time :) Cheers Guys.

post-232229-0-34160200-1345996943_thumb.

Yea, tried all the obvious things but still getting non usable speeds. What did you do exactly to fix the problem; and is this a known/common problem ?? TIA

Development : When I RDP into the server and cut and paste a test 10gig file, it copies in about 2 mins. Doesnt say the speed tho. Im obviously doing something wrong by > Opening NETWORK > Double Clicking WHS under the COMPUTERS tab > Opening one of the shared folders and Copying that way.

Try to enable "Netbios over TCP" on both machines. If this doesn't work, maybe check if the Networkcard/Router options need some tweaking or maybe the cable is to long or unshielded.

No, still no luck. I done all the above on both machines and did manage to get a a whopping 555Kbs at one point :| but it quickly spead back to ~13Kbs. It makes having a server preety redundant and unusable. Sure I can access whats already there but I cant add more or less to it, There must be a simpler way than this, ANY HELP would be much apresiated. TIA

OK, this is getting silly now. Ive set all adapters to NetBios , Auto NetBios, Set my HDDs to Best Performance , No Write Cache (No need to Safe Remove) . Turned OFF Firewalls on both Win7, WHS & my router (Turned back on when finished testing) and even tried different Ethernet leads, but I`m still only reaching ~16Kbs . Ive Goggled, read and Goggled again and have ran out of things to try. I have over 1TB of stuff that needs shifting to the server, and short of connecting the HDDs to my local machines and doing a direct copy (which DEFEATS the whole purpose) I don't know what else to do. I'm seriously thinking of sacking WHS2001 and trying to find an alternative, although there's still no guarantee that ill get an speed boost. Argggg .

Don't view the speeds that is says you are transferring anything useful. Open up task man and see what you are using on the network adapter. Also use the built in robocopy to transfer faster, it is command line based.

I have had a similar problem which turned out to be caused by using the default Windows network card drivers. The server I was using was a Dell PowerEdge. By installing the custom Dell drivers I was able to get faster throughput speeds.

@ +SC Tried this command "robocopy e:\media\married%with%children \\tw4t-whs\tv%sd" and got his result "2012/08/27 10:22:13 ERROR 67 (0x00000043) Getting File System Type of Destinatio

n \\tw4t-whs\tv%sd\

The network name cannot be found."

@ Quirk All drivers are upto date with the OEM drivers.

I CAN get 20MBs+ when transfering FROM the Server to the Laptop so its an upstream problem ????

@ n_K To be honest, I wouldn't know how to work with Wireshark. Its one of them things Ive always meant to get round to doing but always put off. However, on my Sons laptop, also Ethernet, he can get 20MBs+ Up and Down where as I can only hit the downstream. Its a fresh install of Windows 7 x64 with only a select few Apps installed, both my Sons (32bit) and Mine.

so you have % in your file path names?

do a net view \\tw4t-whs

Do you get a list of shares - never been a fan of "spaces" in share names. Makes it harder to use unc at the command line, etc.

I personally would rename your shares to no use spaces.

@BudMan Yea, I have spaces in the Share names, I know :/ . I will get round to changing them tho.

Going to have to do more tests a bit later on now, busy busy busy ... Ill keep y`all up to date :)

@ +SC Tried this command "robocopy e:\media\married%with%children \\tw4t-whs\tv%sd" and got his result "2012/08/27 10:22:13 ERROR 67 (0x00000043) Getting File System Type of Destinatio

n \\tw4t-whs\tv%sd\

The network name cannot be found."

I am sorry I should have been more specific on how to use the command.

If you have spaces in your file names in any dos window this includes the powershell you must encapsulate the entire path in quotes. here is an example of the command you should run:

robocopy "e:\media\married with children" "\\tw4t-whs\tv sd" /e

If you notice the source is in one set of quotes and the destination is in another set of quotes. This is standard practice, it really isn't any harder than typing in the path, you just have to remember to use the quotes. If you have to run something in the cmd prompt and the path has spaces you must use quotes....hell even if you have a shortcut on your desktop the command and path statements are encapsulated in quotes, well the ones that have spaces in them anyway (specifically any shortcut that points to something within program files, like microsoft word or foxit reader).

Personally I just don't like the spaces in file or dir names, maybe its just the old school in me. What sucks is when your working with a long tree when there is spaces farther down the tree or you get to the end and see that there is a space in the file name and forgot the beginning quote.

how about just married-with-children as name, or married_with_children as name, etc. ;)

Sounds like you can pull from the box with ok speeds? When you say you rdp to the server and did a cut and paste, this was pulling from your box -- or were you doing a copy from somewhere else, or just local to the server?

To be honest if your on a gig network, 20 is not very good.. If your on gig network with modern disks and your only seeing 20, I would think you got something wrong to be honest.