Time Machine Setup

Hi,

I decided to enable Time Machine on my iMac now and its running a backup the backup size says its 52GB, now I have 2 hard drives in my mac a 2TB drive and a 256GB drive. How can I make it so Time machine ONLY backs up data on the 256GB drive. Also can I limit the size Time Machine uses, I want it to ONLY use 512GB max which leaves room for the maximum size of the 256gb hard drive x 2.

Time machine allows restore of the OS correct if something goes wrong? (or at least all my files, apps etc)?

Help much appreciated :)

Matt.

Open the Time Machine:

System Preferences > Time Machine

Click the Options button on the bottom right of the window. Here you can exclude drives, folders or files from being backed up.

I think if your going to want to limit the size of the Time Machine you need to either use a drive that is the size you want; or you can partition a drive and set the partition to the size you want to allow Time Machine to use.

You can recover items, and you can recover the entire system

Restore items backed up with Time Machine

Recover your entire system

Open the Time Machine:

System Preferences > Time Machine

Click the Options button on the bottom right of the window. Here you can exclude drives, folders or files from being backed up.

I think if your going to want to limit the size of the Time Machine you need to either use a drive that is the size you want; or you can partition a drive and set the partition to the size you want to allow Time Machine to use.

You can recover items, and you can recover the entire system

Restore items backed up with Time Machine

Recover your entire system

Thanks :) Found how to exclude drive and looking at maybe a Firewire 2TB drive instead of using my NAS drive for Time Machine now as Thunderbolt is still too pricey.

Glad you asked this question, got me thinking. I just purchased my first macbook last week, and I see time machine isn't running by default. Do I have to use an external hard drive to do time machine or can I just have it back up to the standard 500gig internal drive that come with my pro?

Glad you asked this question, got me thinking. I just purchased my first macbook last week, and I see time machine isn't running by default. Do I have to use an external hard drive to do time machine or can I just have it back up to the standard 500gig internal drive that come with my pro?

Backing up to the same drive you're backing up doesn't offer any benefit. If you're looking for file versioning, Versions works without an external disk and is on by default for apps that support it.

Backing up to the same drive you're backing up doesn't offer any benefit. If you're looking for file versioning, Versions works without an external disk and is on by default for apps that support it.

Thanks.. Verisons is what I was thinking about. The restoring files from previous saves.. Time machine restores the entire drive. Like System Restore in Windows correct?

Thanks, shame Thunderbolt costs too much otherwise i'd get a Thunderbolt drive for backups :\ so expensive right now

Totally agree mate.

A DeLorean perhaps?? :p

I so want to buy one of these!!

Thanks.. Verisons is what I was thinking about. The restoring files from previous saves.. Time machine restores the entire drive. Like System Restore in Windows correct?

Well, it's possible to restore individual files from Time Machine backups as well, but yea, the main function of Time Machine is to have a full backup of a system that can be restored.