Lenovo overtakes Apple in China

Aug. 24 (Bloomberg) -- Lenovo Group Ltd. overtook Apple Inc. during the second quarter for second place in smartphone sales in China, the world?s largest handset market.

Lenovo vaulted from seventh place in the first quarter to claim 11 percent of China?s smartphone sales in the three months ended June 30, market researcher IDC said in an e-mailed statement today. Apple?s share fell to 10 percent from 19 percent, IDC said. Both trailed leader Samsung Electronics Co.?s 19 percent share, which was unchanged from the first quarter.

Lenovo, the world?s second-largest maker of personal computers behind Hewlett-Packard Co., is stepping up development of smartphones, tablets and Internet-ready televisions to widen its offerings, following Apple and Samsung.

?Lenovo had a huge second-quarter due to increased volumes through operators, and a continued push into retail, leveraging on its PC retail stores and partnerships,? Teck-Zhung Wong, a Beijing-based analyst with IDC, said in an e-mail

Lenovo, whose headquarters are in Beijing and Morrisville, North Carolina fell 1.2 percent to HK$6.40 as of 3:32 p.m. in Hong Kong trading. The shares have gained 23 percent so far this year, compared with a 7.8 percent rise in the Hang Seng Index.

Apple?s market share decline was due to ?seasonality? and a drop off after a big first quarter when China Telecom Corp. was added as a second carrier partner in the country, Wong said. Apple also faces increased competition from high-end Android handsets from Samsung and HTC Corp., he said.

ZTE Corp., based in Shenzhen, rose to third place from fourth, Wong said. Cross-town rival Huawei Technologies Co. dropped to fifth, from third, he said.

Smartphones out-shipped feature phones for the first time in China in the second quarter with 44.4 million units, or 51 percent of total shipments of 87 million, he said.

http://www.businessinsider.com/lenovo-passes-apple-for-second-place-in-china-smartphone-market-2012-8

it seems everyone is now whooping Apple.. but I guess that's to be expected when you don't really innovate but try to sue in order to prevent competition. Good for Lenovo. They always made solid hardware.

• Like 1

it seems everyone is now whooping Apple.. but I guess that's to be expected when you don't really innovate but try to sue in order to prevent competition. Good for Lenovo. They always made solid hardware.

Its happening because everyone is holding up for the new iPhone.

Keep trying Boz.

You keep believing that.

I'll quote you on this like I did on the HTC thread (which by the way, you did not bother to reply, so point made).

I'll see you in a couple of months, good day.

Lenovo really is going from strength to strength all over the industry, good on them.

I have two lenovo laptops in my household. Both awesome machines.

Its happening because everyone is holding up for the new iPhone.

Keep trying Boz.

Its not just because of the new iPhone. Read the article. There was another change in the China market.

Apple?s market share decline was due to ?seasonality? and a drop off after a big first quarter when China Telecom Corp. was added as a second carrier partner in the country, Wong said. Apple also faces increased competition from high-end Android handsets from Samsung and HTC Corp., he said.

So a new carrier was added and increased competition is part of the reason Apple is losing sales in China.

I'll quote you on this like I did on the HTC thread (which by the way, you did not bother to reply, so point made). I'll see you in a couple of months, good day.

Don't bother, I did this before too. He never learns from his inability to accept facts. Last time he said that Apple's profits were not going to improve and stagnant, but what happened they went way up. I will see if I can find the thread.

Don't bother, I did this before too. He never learns from his inability to accept facts. Last time he said that Apple's profits were not going to improve and stagnant, but what happened they went way up. I will see if I can find the thread.

Way to stay on topic and add something to the conversation. /s

Even if people are waiting for the iPhone, I doubt the Chinese will do that. There are so many more alternatives over there. Lenovo is really making a push in lots of areas, and I can definitely see them doing well. They've been making good stuff the last several years.