UKNova: No more torrents

I just logged on to UKNova, as I do each evening after returning home from work, to find the following message:

To the members of UKNova.

UKNova is being forced to change. We have been issued with a "cease and desist" order by FACT (The Federation Against Copyright Theft).

Despite our efforts to cooperate with the UK media companies, FACT have stated: "ALL links or access to content provided by UKNova are infringing, unless it can be proven that explicit permission from the copyright holder for that content has been obtained".

Whilst we believe that they are wrong both legally and morally on account of the strong 'no commercial content' stance that we have always taken, we are not in a position to be able to risk lengthy and costly court battles to prove this. Therefore we have no other option but to close down the trackers. It has not been an easy decision to take, but it is apparently our only option.

The forums will remain open for business as usual. Torrents and their associated pages will disappear over the next few hours.

Our heartfelt thanks go to all, past and present, who have worked tirelessly, often thanklessly, for the good of our community.

I'm absolutely gutted.

UKNova was a valuable resource for expats, providing reliable, efficient captures of UK television programmes.

Honestly speaking, I'm not entirely sure where I will go to download my favourite British news/current affairs shows...

Many thanks UKNova - you will be greatly missed.

I just logged on to UKNova, as I do each evening after returning home from work, to find the following message:

I'm absolutely gutted.

UKNova was a valuable resource for expats, providing reliable, efficient captures of UK television programmes.

Honestly speaking, I'm not entirely sure where I will go to download my favourite British news/current affairs shows...

Many thanks UKNova - you will be greatly missed.

Just get a proxy and use all the TV catchup services here in the UK like BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, etc.

UKNova going down is quite devastating. They help keep me sane for many, many years whilst living in a country where the TV is absolutely awful. Sadly, UKNova's ethical stance ended up not saving them in the end.

Hopefully, some of the more prolific uploaders will join some of the less ethical sites that continue to thrive.

Indeed, although in fairness, I haven't watched Japanese TV for a few years (I no longer own a television), so it may well have improved...

Whilst we believe that they are wrong both legally and morally on account of the strong 'no commercial content' stance that we have always taken

UK TV, whether on a paid service or ripped from BBC1 IS 100% commercial content.

• 1 month later...

Wow, hadn't been on UKN for ages, and as suspected, my account has been removed (really wish torrent sites would stop ****ing doing that). Sad to see it go though, it had been a useful resource at times.