Any chance of adding a LGBT forum?

>act almost completely different from the general population

No we don't, that's just a small number of LGBT people. Just as there is a small group of heterosexual men who go out drinking and act like idiots when drunk. There are small groups of every larger group that tend to give the larger group a bad name.

No we don't, that's just a small number of LGBT people. Just as there is a small group of heterosexual men who go out drinking and act like idiots when drunk. There are small groups of every larger group that tend to give the larger group a bad name.

Implying homosexuals don't get drunk and some don't act like idiots.

I agree.. I'm just sayin, I think it'd be nice to have a nice forum for us queer techies to gather. :)

You can easily do that. Just take your own resources and make your own forum where all the queer folks can gather and discuss whatever they care to. This is first a tech forum, not for gays on parade.

I think it would be a very bad idea unfortunately as I think discussions would degrade into name calling and the such. Also, this is a tech-focused forum as mentioned previously. There are many other resources for discussing LGBT issues.

The ones that act different are the most outspoken and have come to represent the gay community as a whole in the national media. Their behavior is probably the number 1 thing holding back gay rights and general acceptance. Not christianity.

Guys, please remember to be respectful... also, this is a S&FI thread so no (deeply-involved) debates here please.

Now that said:

You guys are really dove on this like sharks... :/

There is a valid point that all the topics about gay rights and whatnot get merged into one big mess.

I think the suggestion was merely as a way to discuss multiple LGBT topics, which is difficult in a single thread (referring to the official LGBT thread we have). That said, I don't think there are enough topics to dedicate an entire subforum to their discussion.

Perhaps we should discuss if we could relax some LGBT-related topics to exist in RWI without being merged into the official thread.

• Like 2

The ones that act different are the most outspoken and have come to represent the gay community as a whole in the national media. Their behavior is probably the number 1 thing holding back gay rights and general acceptance. Not christianity.

-.-

is there going to be a straight one? A mormon one? A pastafarian one?

People like this hater would be all over that forum if it existed here. He jumped on this thread instantly with his useless comments.

People like this hater would be all over that forum if it existed here. He jumped on this thread instantly with his useless comments.

What he said is true though; why not make a forum for every minority group, every religion, etc, why do only some get special treatment?

What he said is true though; why not make a forum for every minority group, every religion, etc, why do only some get special treatment?

Because no one has yet made a request? :p

Honestly, forget I asked.... Hell, close the topic mods, if you want, because this topic is clearly not well received. :(

Because no one has yet made a request? :p

Honestly, forget I asked.... Hell, close the topic mods, if you want, because this topic is clearly not well received. :(

I have no strong opinion either way. Don't see the need for separation, I would hope that most people are tolerant of people from different backgrounds and with different interests to themselves, but I appreciate that's not always the case.

Just thought that guy jumped on him for no reason when he made a valid observation. :p

Reverend Spam, I understand why you made the suggestion, and it is a shame to see that there were some disrespectful comments. Some of the people here could have criticised your suggestion constructively and respectfully, as others did. We welcome all suggestions here, and I thank you for suggesting this.

Some people have already stated what I was thinking. I personally believe that a separate forum would not do the LGBT community any favours. I dislike to see such separation in society. whether it's a holiday resort specifically for gay people or whether it's a bar that is advertised as a "gay bar." I would prefer to see a day in which gay and bisexual people feel they can act however they wish in any bar, just like heterosexual people do, and that desire of mine covers this issue: I believe the forums and threads we currently have should be inclusive of any issue that involves LGBT people. General Discussion and Members' Metropolis should be used to discuss events related to the LGBT community (e.g. a local pride parade), and other light issues, and the Official: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Issues thread should be used to discuss the deeper, more philosophical and political issues surrounding the LGBT community, as well as being used to debate with those who hold opposing views.

As you mentioned that you believe one thread is insufficient, could you perhaps detail the kinds of threads you were thinking could go in the separate forum, please? That way, I'll perhaps see it more from your perspective or I'll be able to advise where I believe it should be posted.

Now to be realistic, the only real problems are organization and moderation.

I'm curious as to what you mean by that, if you don't mind explaining in more detail, please? It could help us improve, if there is a problem :)

[. . .]

To be honest, you guys make issues worse for yourselves by this kind of behaviour.

Please keep in mind that not all of us would like to see such separation.

[. . .]

Perhaps we should discuss if we could relax some LGBT-related topics to exist in RWI without being merged into the official thread.

This is a great idea, and I'd like to discuss it :) The single thread was created because the exact same discussion (pretty much) kept occurring in most threads regarding news affecting the LGBT community; however, it hasn't taken off quite as well as I'd hoped because if a news thread is merged there, the discussion tends to die, and most people post news about the LGBT community in separate threads, anyway, before the thread is merged into the official thread. Also, those separate threads seem to garner more discussion than the official thread.

True, but neither does the "It's a conspiracy!" subforum. It's not like we don't already have off-topic subforums.

Speaking for me, and me only, I'd like all non-tech stuff gone here. (Note to admins: neither suggesting nor asking- this is just my own view.) I think there is ample place to put those discussions since we have other general forums.