I know a guy who believes in Jesus but thinks religion is bull.

You mean he believes that Jesus was a historical person (along with most mainstream historians), or that he actively follows a Christian lifestyle? In the later case, yeah, I've seen Christians who eschew being labeled as 'religious.'

You mean he believes that Jesus was a historical person (along with most mainstream historians), or that he actively follows a Christian lifestyle? In the later case, yeah, I've seen Christians who eschew being labeled as 'religious.'

There is other evidence of Jesus's existence during the biblical period?

Or the basis of Martin Luther about the church, which caused the reformation.

Along the lines you have a personal relationship, and the church is not necessary.

What happened with the reformation, is a the time, people believed in the divine right of kings,

Others used this to try and topple the divine right of kings. Which caused a lot of strife.

In essence he had an idea that sparked others to act in way he may of never thought / intended.

This is a very abridged summary.

Here's a shocker for you:

I believe that Jesus Christ existed, he was a minister and that he was crucified. But I don't believe that he was the able to cure the blind, walk on water or any of those things.

You can believe in Jesus without needing to be "religious". Catholicism for example, contains a lot more than just simply believing in Jesus, and some people don't want to take part in all the other stuff.

WARNING: The below video contains strong language. Please don't watch it if you are easily offended.

Edited by Calum
Added a warning message about the language.
  • Like 3

Jesus taught and lead a life of good deeds, humility, compassion for sinners (prostitutes and corrupt tax collectors), and helping the poor. The Christians I know do not even have an agenda consistent with Jesus' teachings. I don't consider the work of Christians the same as the work of Jesus Christ. Christians want to gloss over the life of Jesus and just focus on their interpretation of the death and resurrection.

So, I see where he is coming from and understand the point of view of being Pro-Jesus and Anti-Religion.

• Like 3

Jesus taught and lead a life of good deeds, humility, compassion for sinners (prostitutes and corrupt tax collectors), and helping the poor. The Christians I know do not even have an agenda consistent with Jesus' teachings. I don't consider the work of Christians the same as the work of Jesus Christ. Christians want to gloss over the life of Jesus and just focus on their interpretation of the death and resurrection.

So, I see where he is coming from and understand the point of view of being Pro-Jesus and Anti-Religion.

This is the main reason I don't go to church. I don't want to sit there and hear someone's interpretation that I don't agree with.

Jesus is a proven historical person. So there is no question that he existed and was crucified, but was he the son of God?

being raised a catholic , but i'm not religious since my teens, I will accept the fact that Jesus existed, but I don't worship him

or god, some people like to believe Jesus is god and all that stuff I won;t get into.

Too me Jesus was just an evangelist preacher, with many followers.

But how come all of you are explaining what 1 guy said without having actual proof that he said it? Those who wrote the bible didn't even have direct contact with Jesus. If you agree with those quotes it's one thing but in an age where proof is so important why do people tend to overlook it when it comes to religion/religious figures?

I believe that Jesus of Nazareth existed, he was a minister and that he was crucified. But I don't believe that he was the able to cure the blind, walk on water or was the son of god.

Changed it to how I feel.

But how come all of you are explaining what 1 guy said without having actual proof that he said it? Those who wrote the bible didn't even have direct contact with Jesus. If you agree with those quotes it's one thing but in an age where proof is so important why do people tend to overlook it when it comes to religion/religious figures?

Same reason that people believe Julius Caesar, Socrates, etc existed.

Same reason that people believe Julius Caesar, Socrates, etc existed.

We can agree that there is a ton of evidence of Caesar's existence and what he represented.

Is there similar evidence of Jesus's existence 2000 years ago? Of the miracles he did? Will you show me bible passages as proof?

Or the basis of Martin Luther about the church, which caused the reformation.

Along the lines you have a personal relationship, and the church is not necessary.

What happened with the reformation, is a the time, people believed in the divine right of kings,

Others used this to try and topple the divine right of kings. Which caused a lot of strife.

In essence he had an idea that sparked others to act in way he may of never thought / intended.

This is a very abridged summary.

The divine right of kings is an idea that came out of the Protestant Reformation, not something that was overturned by it. It essentially it justified a shift in power away from the Vatican and towards local monarchs and princes.

Originally, the theory was that people should accept monarchs as long as they acted in accord with moral laws -- which were defined by the Church. If the monarch acted in a way in which the Church determined was out of line with moral, Christian rule, they would excommunicate him, and this would give the authority to others to overthrow him.

Protestants, however, supported the argument that the monarch had a spiritual relationship to their subjects, and was not bound by the Pope. This was what was meant by 'divine right'. The argument was still that they had to act morally with their power, but that the Church had no special say in the matter.

i believe in a God or higher power, it may not be the same god you or anybody else believes in, i also believe in evolution above creationism, and think creationism is just a load of bull. the earth did not just pop in a couple thousand years ago. now it is possible ( i said possible ) that a " god " like entity created the big bang, mainly because nothing can explain the big bang or before.

Jesus is not God, God is not Jesus.

all in all i think the majority of religions of the world are bull****, i don't know the correct religion. but until the god-like entity comes from wherever and tells me what to do, i will continue to do what i feel is best not just for me, but for others as well. i refuse to follow a religion that contradicts itself on a daily basis, or a religion who's followers do not follow the rules of their religion, but are happy to preach and yell about others not following it ( pot calling kettle black, or bigotry )

as far as Jesus but no religion, im sure thousands of years ago there was a Jesus, heck i know at least 2 of them so far living now. as far as what Jesus of that time did, they are all stories, probally exaggerated. im shure 3000 years from now, people will read stories of Steve Irwin and Chuck Norris and think they were gods / sons of god

• Like 2

Jesus is a proven historical person.

no its not proven, the only proof is from a book that was written AFTER he supposedly died from documents of people that knew him. they know the king that crucified him existed, but that king was in power years after the supposed crucification i think.

its a issue, i think, that's the same of , he said her friend's cousin's sister thing.

Jesus is the son of god the same that religion preaches that we are all " children of god ", although it might be a different meaning, but in all honesty how many times has the bible been written and rewritten and changed.

the bible said " thow shall not kill " its not based on certian stipulations, its says SHALL NOT. not " Shall not kill UNLESS they believe diffrent, or behave diffrent. if so then feel free to kill them "

" Love Thy Neighbor " not " Love thy neighbor ONLY IF they share the same sexual prefrence, or belive in same god "

Jesus is chill, just hung out with him the other day. Getting pretty good at English I must say after all this time.

I like to think those fairytales are a bit brutal and religion shouldn't be introduced until after elementary school. But its easier to teach children religion and not to question than have to try to explain non-sense when they understand. you don't have to be religious to have beliefs either. Beliefs can be beneficial if justified. If you believe jesus died for your sins, you may have the time of your life.

No.

Pretty much every serious, mainstream historian will disagree with you on that. One alternative document that springs to mind is Josephus. There are a couple of mentions of Jesus in his writings that may not be authentic, but there are also some which are considered to be original. See this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephus_on_Jesus

And also, why would anyone make up an extremely poor, pacifistic man with unpopular views who died a humiliating death as their god?

Religion is a man made thing. They take an event, add structure and classes to it, and then claim the event is holy and their word about it is infallible.You can pretty much believe anything and not have religion involved in it at all.

Isn't the story of Jesus told in the bible, which is a religious book itself?

Very easy, I believe in Jesus Christ as my Saviour, I'm also smart enough to know that most Churches don't actually follow the teachings of Jesus and are generally in it for the money or to control those that don't pay attention or those who haven't actually read the Bible. I've been to many "Christian" churches of varying denominations, and they are all generally driven by greed or control, so I choose to avoid them all

And don't get me started on this whole "unquestionable Word of God" bit, the Bible has been mis translated for centuries to accommodate whoever was in charge at the moment, it's an interesting read, has tons of good stuff in it, but it sure as hell isn't some "Sacred Scripture" like many claim, and neither are any other religious texts