samsung-ativ-trademarks.jpg

With IFA 2012 around the corner, Samsung and other PC OEMs are expected to showcase their Windows 8 based products. Samsung has recently trademarked ?Ativ Tab? and ?Ativ S? names. Samsung uses the ?Galaxy? brand for all its Android based phone and tablets. We can guess that ?Ativ? may become the single brand for Samsung?s Windows based products. Their flagship Windows Phone 8 device (code named Odyssey) could be the ?Ativ S? and their Windows RT based tablet could be the ?Ativ Tab?.

http://wmpoweruser.com/rumor-ativ-may-become-samsungs-brand-name-for-windows-based-mobile-devices/

It's be great of Samsung would do what it did with the Galaxy brand but for Win8/WP8 devices.

It's be great of Samsung would do what it did with the Galaxy brand but for Win8/WP8 devices.

I have no doubt that Androids major surge has been down (in part) to the Galaxy range's success. Be nice to see WP8 get the same treatment.

We'll have to wait and see if this is true and how it plays out. Names/brands tend to grow on you if you see it used enough. Everyone made/makes fun of the Wii for example but hey, the name didn't hold the device back from selling well.

We'll have to wait and see if this is true and how it plays out. Names/brands tend to grow on you if you see it used enough. Everyone made/makes fun of the Wii for example but hey, the name didn't hold the device back from selling well.

True, but honestly, Ativ just sounds... bland. At least Wii is somewhat inticing, or kind of breaks the ice somewhat.

Also, flip the word Ativ and you get the name of a device which has absolutely tanked in the sales department ;)

If true I'll wait to see what sort of marketing they put behind it, too early to tell for me. I think the idea is sound though, Nokia is doing this with the Lumia brand, and it's something HTC really needs to do bad but can't seem to work out.