win8 start menu samsung

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#16 bigmehdi

bigmehdi

Neowinian

• 1,090 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 15:15

Might be interesting to have, even for non samsung user.
It would be funny if every brand would create similar widgets, virtually
destroying the efforts by Microsoft to push user to use the "metro screen".

#17 +Seahorsepip

Seahorsepip

http://seapip.com

• 1,488 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 28 August 2012 - 15:17

ughhh Samsung

i command you ;Remove that bloatware at well!

Posted Image

Too bad he died already in code geass 2 :p

#18 WinMunkee

WinMunkee

Neowinian

• 177 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 15:22

This is stupid. I'm just going to use what's natively there.

#19 CGW-88

CGW-88

||Modified||

• 651 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 625

Posted 28 August 2012 - 15:24

God no. By all means make it an optional download but for god sake don't keep bundling crap with your computers.

Im sure it is easily disabled, but I agree this is bundled crap to most people on here but for day to day users this could be a godsend.

Aren't you curious what other OEMs like HP, Dell, Toshiba et al. are going to add to Windows 8 now? I know I am.

I think HP will more than likely come up with something for this......will prob be as useless as HP advisor.
Easily disabled but thats not the point, they are targeting the majority of the users which wouldnt be on this site lol

#20 scratch42069

scratch42069

Neowinian

• 985 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 15:27

The complaints about Windows 8 on PCs go beyond a lack of a mere start button. It's the general navigation of the UI on a non-touch interface and how things that used to be done in 1 or 2 steps now take 3 or 4, depending on what you are trying to do. A start button doesn't remedy that. I applaud Samsung for trying but at the same time it's just added bloat.

#21 efjay

efjay

Neowinian

• 984 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 15:35

Might be interesting to have, even for non samsung user.
It would be funny if every brand would create similar widgets, virtually
destroying the efforts by Microsoft to push user to use the "metro screen".

Then what is the point of OEM's trying to sell new hardware running the new OS while doing their utmost to make the new features redundant?

And here's a good point: https://twitter.com/...473291515629568

#22 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,389 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 28 August 2012 - 15:49

Does this actually fit with MS new terms of what can be included on default installs

Oh and

"Samsung, backwards copycating into the future since 2000"

And that's going to confuse the hell out of users. This is only to try to attract the minority of tech users who are afraid to go forward and cut ally try to learn a more efficient launcher paradigm.

#23 +scumdogmillionaire

scumdogmillionaire

Neowinian Senior

• 2,600 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 28 August 2012 - 15:56

Before the Surface announcement (which is what I will definitely be buying) I was going to be either getting a Samsung or an HP... Samsung just fell out of the running.

#24 NateB1

NateB1

Neowinian Senior

• 1,667 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 16:25

I find it hilarious that Samsung is now blatantly ripping off the start menu *and* the OS X dock all in one utility - terrible copies, too. Are they inviting lawsuits or something? This past patent defeat with Apple wasn't enough for them?

#25 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• 16,258 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 28 August 2012 - 17:34

That looks weird. Is the dock even necessary?

Plus, if they really wanted to make this as "hot" of a clickable target as the Start Menu, they must've forgot that at least the Start Menu (and the Start Screen) both respect Fitt's Law by being accessible at a corner. This one floats in the middle and requires much more dexterity to reach for and click. And unlike apps on say the OS X dock, the frequency of clicks on an app in the dock versus a replacement for the Start button should be much much lower.

Now if this AIO PC had touch, then the complaint about Fitt's Law is irrelevant. But then we'd be looking at which is better for a touch-enabled PC - the Start Menu or the Start Screen - and the latter is trivially better in that case.

It's too bad these computer manufacturers can't sell computers on the merits of their hardware design and the parts offered inside alone, instead of polluting Windows desktops with junk. Microsoft's advertising efforts for Windows 8 will be useless if consumers continue to see 30-day trial warnings from McAfee and a dozen icons in the tray plastered on demo machines at Best Buy.

#26 bigmehdi

bigmehdi

Neowinian

• 1,090 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 17:41

I don't understand all the bashing of this thread. Lot of user are not seduced by the new windows 8 version, and this little gagdet might be a relief for people afraid of adopting windows 8. And even if it comes pre-installed , the user can change his mind and uninstall it later.

#27 Joshie

Joshie

Wandering NPC

• 4,728 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 17:57

How have they somehow managed to rip off both the Windows 7 start menu AND the OS X dock in one move?

There are an unknown number of unimagined new ways to present the desktop to the user, all brimming with originality. Samsung seems incapable of dipping into that well.

The silliest part is, the description points out missing the old "click start and type" that users are familiar with, even though it exists functionally identical in Windows 8. You do literally the same thing: click in the lower left corner of the screen (launches start), and start typing (start search). The behavior is click-for-click the. Exact. Same. As. Before.

#28 vetCalum

Calum

Neowinian Senior

• 13,211 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 18:04

Oh no :( Just like they ruin mobile operating systems, for the average user, with their Sense UI, they're looking to ruin Windows 8 :( Unfortunately, many average users don't even understand that Samsung's separate, inconsistent-with-the-operating-system UIs aren't part of the operating system, meaning some may erroneously believe this is actually how Windows 8 looks and functions.

Here's an idea, Samsung, stop it, especially if you're going to design the UIs in a completely different style to the operating system.

They're harming Microsoft's image, in my opinion.

I don't mind apps that can be specifically downloaded to bring such functionality back, if the user wishes, but Samsung tend to install and enable these things by default, leading many to erroneously believe it's part of the operating system.

#29 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 28 August 2012 - 18:05

Sure that looks nothing like the OSX dock. Come on samsung you're just asking for apple to get mad

Linux has tons of docks like that and is apple mad?

#30 Rudy

Rudy

Neowinian Senior

• 22,400 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 18:12

I have a feeling we're going to see a lot more of that