Lexmark to shut down inkjet unit, slash 1,700 jobs

Attempting to improve profitability and further shift toward laser printers, Lexmark (LXK: 21.62, +2.61, +13.73%) disclosed plans on Tuesday to exit its inkjet printer business and slash 1,700 jobs.

Shares of the printing and document company dipped about 2% after the announcement, which included plans to buy back additional shares.

As part of its effort to exit the inkjet business, Lexmark said it plans to close a manufacturing facility in Cebu, Philippines by the end of 2015.

The restructuring efforts are expected to result in the elimination of about 1,700 jobs around the world, including 1,100 manufacturing positions. The job cuts represent about 13% of the company?s global workforce.

?Today's announcement represents difficult decisions, which are necessary to drive improved profitability and significant savings," CEO Paul Rooke said in a statement. "Our investments are focused on higher value imaging and software solutions, and we believe the synergies between imaging and the emerging software elements of our business will continue to drive growth across the organization.?

more

Attempting to improve profitability and further shift toward laser printers, Lexmark (LXK: 21.62, +2.61, +13.73%) disclosed plans on Tuesday to exit its inkjet printer business and slash 1,700 jobs.

Shares of the printing and document company dipped about 2% after the announcement, which included plans to buy back additional shares.

As part of its effort to exit the inkjet business, Lexmark said it plans to close a manufacturing facility in Cebu, Philippines by the end of 2015.

The restructuring efforts are expected to result in the elimination of about 1,700 jobs around the world, including 1,100 manufacturing positions. The job cuts represent about 13% of the company?s global workforce.

?Today's announcement represents difficult decisions, which are necessary to drive improved profitability and significant savings," CEO Paul Rooke said in a statement. "Our investments are focused on higher value imaging and software solutions, and we believe the synergies between imaging and the emerging software elements of our business will continue to drive growth across the organization.?

more

More like Lexmark could not compete with the inkjet behemoth that is (of all people) HP.

HP has *always* had nice inkjet printers (even the older black and white inkjets and pin-matrix printers); however, with each succeeding generation, they have gotten better, and far cheaper.

My own DeskJet 940C dates back to (don't faint) 2005; it's on it's fourth version of Windows (8 Pro RTM) - and unless it breaks, as long as I keep it clear of paper jams and feed it ink when it runs dry, it will likely outlast me.

And Lexmark thinks that *laser printers* are going to be any safer? HP's even better known for scarily-reliable laser printers than for scary-reliable inkjets.

Job losses suck, but good riddance to inkjet printers

The problems with Lexmark printers were printer-driver issues.

My mom had a Lexmark that gave her nothing but woe - the HP she replaced it with has been nothing but bliss (for her).

I have an even OLDER HP inkjet (Deskjet 940C) that has never - ever- failed to work. Four desktop (and three server) versions of Windows, innumerable Linux distributions, three BSDs, OS X, and even Solaris (before and after it went open-source (and both before and after it was acquired by Oracle)). A seven year old USB printer. Yet it still defines what Plug and Print is supposed to be - but often isn't.

The last HP inkjet I installed took more than 30 minutes to install from CD, and the end result was a ton of nonsense management tools and borderline spyware that spends most of its time showing me an hourglass at startup and informing me of things I don't give two ****s about. They don't offer a minimal driver via their web site, and the only thing they do offer is a 500MB+ file that no doubt is just the same **** they include on their bundled CD.

When will these companies get a clue? Cut the crap! Just do the job I expect and leave me alone! At least most laser printers seem a bit more business oriented and allow the use of a minimal driver with optional tools.

The problems with Lexmark printers were printer-driver issues.

My mom had a Lexmark that gave her nothing but woe - the HP she replaced it with has been nothing but bliss (for her).

I have an even OLDER HP inkjet (Deskjet 940C) that has never - ever- failed to work. Four desktop (and three server) versions of Windows, innumerable Linux distributions, three BSDs, OS X, and even Solaris (before and after it went open-source (and both before and after it was acquired by Oracle)). A seven year old USB printer. Yet it still defines what Plug and Print is supposed to be - but often isn't.

Wasn't their drivers, it was that their printers were CRAP, you bought one and when the ink ran out you bought a new one, one because it was cheaper to buy new than replace the ink, and two because the odds were good that it would break before running out of ink

HP is a bit better but barely, now the Wife has a Brother printer that is honestly about 8 years old now and outlived my barely used HP printer

I bought several HP and Lexmark inkjet printers before just abandoning them altogether since I always had one at school or work. After leaving college, I decided to invest in a Brother laser printer. The smartest and cheapest decision I've ever made. It didn't install 28 programs telling me how I can order overpriced ink. Down with HP.

PRINTERS ARE EVIL GOOD RIDDANCE I HATE PRINTERS AND WANT TO KILL THEM ALL. DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE PRINTERS

I haven't used an ink jet printer for the last 7 years when a business I was doing computer work for was upgrading their printers. Thus they were getting rid of their old ones. So I was able to snag a HP Laserjet 4100 for free. I've been using it ever since and I think i've only changed the toner twice.