Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

It was revealed earlier this month that Joss Whedon had signed an exclusive deal with Marvel Studios to, among other things, help develop a new live action series for Marvel Television at ABC. Today, Deadline has revealed that, now greenlit by ABC, the series will be titled "S.H.I.E.L.D." and will focus on the top secret defense organization featured throughout the Marvel cinematic universe.

Whedon will write the pilot alongside his brother, Jed Whedon, and Maurissa Tancharoen (who previously worked with Whedon on "Dollhouse" and "Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog". All three will also join Jeffrey Bell and Jeph Loeb as executive producers. The site notes that Whedon may also direct the pilot, but that nothing is confirmed at this time.

It remains to be seen which, if any, actors and/or characters from the Marvel Studios films are planned to appear on the show, though it's very likely that "S.H.I.E.L.D" will have direct ties to future Marvel Studios cinematic entries, including the Whedon scripted and directed Marvel's The Avengers 2, set for release on May 1, 2015.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=94160

Sounds great.

(Item 47 spoiler)

I wonder if LIzzy Caplan will be joining the cast? I hope so, she's awesome.

The only problem I can see with this show is if particular episodes or seasons directly relate to particular movies. If somebody watches the show but hasn't seen one of the movies it could be confusing, not to mention potentially spoiler-tastic. Then there's international issues such as out of sync movies and tv show airdates.

Then again, Joss is pretty familiar with handling multiple properties at the same time and keeping them in sync, he did it with Buffy and Angel.

I love Summer but everything she is in has the kiss of death.

Really? She was on Alphas twice now and it's still going and will probably get a s3.

I can't wait to see the show, I'm sure it'll be awesome!

I love Summer but everything she is in has the kiss of death.

Alphas is still going, and she appeared in a couple of episodes, she had some bad luck, but there's no such thing as a curse. Of all things, the curse would be the crappy network that is FOX.

• Like 1

?The storyline for the proposed series will be largely "autonomous" from the "Avengers" sequel feature. The series will revolve around the activities of the SHIELD org governing body for the superheroes featured in "Avengers.?

ppti6cj9.png

(Item 47 spoiler)

I wonder if LIzzy Caplan will be joining the cast? I hope so, she's awesome.

I enjoyed Item 47

I hope they use the agents from the film as well

• 2 weeks later...

Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D. TV Series to Feature New Characters

"It's new characters" Whedon stated. "It needs to be it's own thing. It needs to be adjacent, but you don't want to do a show where you're constantly going, 'Iron Man just left, but he was totally here a minute ago.' You want them to do their own thing. What does S.H.I.E.L.D. got that the heroes don't have? To me, it's that they're not superheroes. But they live in that universe. Even though they're a big organization, that makes them underdogs and that's interesting to me."

• 2 weeks later...

Lizzy Caplan Will Not Be Joining S.H.I.E.L.D.

Although you can catch her starring role as Claire in the "Marvel One-Shot" short film "Item 47" when Marvel's The Avengers hits DVD and Blu-ray next Tuesday, September 28, actress Lizzy Caplan tells ComingSoon.net that fans shouldn't get too excited about her reprising the role in the upcoming "S.H.I.E.L.D." television series.

"I can't really," she explained today at the press junket for her upcoming comedy 3, 2, 1... Frankie Goes Boom, "...I have my own show so I will not be a regular on the Marvel 'S.H.I.E.L.D.' show. But I'm glad people are so excited about that. I think it's a good idea... Maybe I could do some little thing."

• 2 weeks later...
Skye: This late-20s woman sounds like a dream: fun, smart, caring and confident ? with an ability to get the upper hand by using her wit and charm.

Agent Grant Ward: Quite the physical specimen and ?cool under fire,? he sometimes botches interpersonal relations. He?s a quiet one with a bit of a temper, but he?s the kind of guy that grows on you.

Agent Althea Rice: Also known as ?The Calvary,? this hard-core soldier has crazy skills when it comes to weapons and being a pilot. But her experiences have left her very quiet and a little damaged.

Agent Leo Fitz and Agent Jemma Simmons: These two came through training together and still choose to spend most of their time in each other?s company. Their sibling-like relationship is reinforced by their shared nerd tendencies ? she deals with biology and chemistry, he?s a whiz at the technical side of weaponry.

• 2 weeks later...

NYCC: Clark Gregg to Return as Agent Coulson on TV!

At today?s Marvel Television Presents panel at New York Comic Con, Head of TV Jeph Loeb announced that Clark Gregg will reprise his role as Agent Phil Coulson in the live-action pilot "Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D."! Gregg previously played Coulson in Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor and Marvel's The Avengers, as well as Marvel One-Shots "The Consultant" and "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer."

The actor made a surprise appearance at the panel to talk about his role as Principal Coulson on "Ultimate Spider-Man" before playing a special video from Marvel?s The Avengers director Joss Whedon and Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige, announcing Gregg's return to the role of Agent Coulson in the upcoming pilot. Whedon will also co-write the pilot to "Marvel?s S.H.I.E.L.D." with Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen.

"Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D." will be Executive Produced by Joss Whedon, Jed Whedon, Maurissa Tancharoen, Jeffrey Bell and Jeph Loeb.

Could We See Summer Glau In The S.H.I.E.L.D TV Series?

IGN: So I?ve got to ask? Your buddy Joss [Whedon] has a new TV show percolating, and he?s been known to make use of your talents in several projects. So is that something you?ve had any conversations about? And do you think you?d look good in a S.H.I.E.L.D. jumpsuit?

Glau: "Well, I have my fingers crossed behind my back. I try not to say anything to Joss about anything he?s doing because he has so many actors, and I know we all want to work for him. So I don't know, but if I could be a part of it in any way, of course, you know I want to".

http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/ming-na-joins-shield-joss-whedon-382866

ABC's Joss Whedon pilot S.H.I.E.L.D. has added another agent to its ranks.

ER alum Ming-Na has boarded the Marvel TV adaptation, The Hollywood Reporterhas confirmed.

From ABC Studios, the project is based on the long-running comic created by Jack Kirby and revolves around the secret military law enforcement agency dubbed S.H.I.E.L.D., which stands for Strategic Hazard Intervention Espionage Logistic Directorate.

Whedon is on board to co-pen the pilot alongside his brother Jed Whedon and Jed's wife Maurissa Tancharoen; the trio previously teamed on the three-part web series Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. Avengers and Buffy the Vampire Slayer mastermind Whedon will direct the pilot, should his schedule permit.

Ming-Na will play Agent Melinda May, an top-notch pilot, weapons expert and soldier who is described as being soulful but damaged by her time spent in combat.

She joins Clark Gregg in ABC's S.H.I.E.L.D. The New Adventures of Old Christine star will reprise his Avengers role as Agent Phil Coulson.

Na's credits also include Eureka, Stargate Universe and Two and a Half Men. She's repped by Innovative, Kritzer Levine and Jackoway Tyerman.

Production on the live-action project will begin immediately, with the Whedon brothers and Tancharoen executive producing alongside Jeffrey Bell and Marvel TV's Jeph Loeb.

S.H.I.E.L.D. marks Whedon's return to the small screen. He most recently served as showrunner onDollhouse, in addition to cult favorites Buffy andFirefly. Tancharoen and Jed Whedon were writer-producers on Dollhouse as well as Starz'sSpartacus.

In the comics, S.H.I.E.L.D. revolves around unit director Nick Fury, who recruits Iron Man, Captain America, The Hulk and Thor to form a team to stop Thor's adopted brother Loki. The organization made its debut in Strange Tales #135, which was published in August 1965.

>

mingnawen010101.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
"S.H.I.E.L.D." will begin shooting mid-January, 2013 in Los Angeles.

The Walt Disney Company's Marvel Television division of Marvel Entertainment is currently in pre-production for a new television series pilot titled "S.H.I.E.L.D." for ABC. Casting directors in Los Angeles and New York are holding auditions for series regulars, recurring roles, and guest starring roles. The show's extras will be cast throughout the season, which begins shooting in Los Angeles mid-January, 2012. "S.H.I.E.L.D." will be set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, sharing constancy with the films in that franchise.

Academy Award winner Joss Whedon will direct the pilot episode from a teleplay written by himself, brother Jed Whedon and sister-in-law Maurissa Tancharoen. Joss Whedon directed and co-wrote the Marvel Studios feature films "Thor" and "The Avengers," served as consultant on "Captain America: The First Avenger," and is also going to direct "The Avengers 2". Jed Whedon and his wife Maurissa Tancharoen worked together on "The Avengers," and they will be showrunners/executive producers on "S.H.I.E.L.D." with Jeffrey Bell if it is picked up to series by ABC. Jeph Loeb, Marvel Television Executive Vice President Head of Television, will also executive produce.

"S.H.I.E.L.D." will be independent from "The Avengers" film, and people who haven?t seen the Marvel movies can jump right in and understand the storylines. There will generally be new characters and agents who are not superheroes, and even though they are a large organization, they will be underdogs since they still exist in that superhero universe. Clark Gregg is playing Agent Phil Coulson, the same role he has played in "Iron Man I & II," "Thor," and "The Avengers". The series will center on his character. Screen Actors Guild Awards nominee Ming-Na Wen has been cast as as Agent Melinda May, an ace pilot and weapons expert.

Its about time a studio took a gamble and made a tv series and films which all hooked in together, well done for having a go. I hope it works well and I REALLY look forward to it.

I love all the little links they have already done between the films drawing them all together for the Avengers movie already. I would hope for guest appearances of Thor, Iron Man etc in the tv series

• 2 weeks later...

Qyr2.jpg

Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D. Gets Two More Agents

THR is reporting that actors Iain De Caestecker and Elizabeth Henstridge have been added to Joss Whedon's pilot for Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D. Henstridge will play Agent Gemma Simmons and De Caestecker wil portray Agent Leo Fitz. The names and descriptions of these characters were released at the beginning of October, they're described as follows:

These two came through training together and still choose to spend most of their time in each other?s company. Their sibling-like relationship is reinforced by their shared nerd tendencies ? she deals with biology and chemistry, he?s a whiz at the technical side of weaponry.

Amy Acker wants role on Joss Whedon's 'S.H.I.E.L.D.'

Amy Acker has revealed that she wants to appear in Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D. series.

However, the actress - who previously appeared in Whedon's Angel and Dollhouse - told TVLine that she is unlikely to land a series regular role on the ABC drama.

"I'm in between the age ranges of the [regular] parts," she explained. "Hopefully I'll get to do something."

Actors confirmed to appear in the S.H.I.E.L.D. pilot include Clark Gregg (The Avengers), Ming-Na Wen (ER), Iain De Caestecker (The Fades) and Elizabeth Henstridge (Hollyoaks).

"I think they're putting together a pretty great cast," said Acker. "I'm excited to watch it."

The 35-year-old also collaborated with Whedon on his 2011 film Cabin in the Woods and stars in the director's forthcoming version of Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing.

Summer Glau - who worked with Whedon on Firefly and Dollhouse - has also voiced her desire to appear in the S.H.I.E.L.D. series.