3 posts in this topic

Posted

Years ago, I got a USB emulator off ebay for use in my SNES GD7. The model I got is brandless and has the floppy connections on the back, with 2x7-segment displays on the front, a USB port and buttons to change the floppy number (00-99 = 100 images) which I use with a 256MB generic USB drive.

It's not fast, and literally is the same speed a floppy unfortunately. Another downside is the software to configure the USB drive is windows only and was sent as a ZIP when I won the auction via email...

I looked earlier and found this; http://www.ipcas.com/products/usb-floppy-emulator-fdd-to-udd.html - it looks to be EXACTLY the same (looks-wise) as the model I have, only mine is grey and doesn't have the IPCAS sticker on the front, oh and it was about ~

Posted

Ok for others like me that were like WTF would you want/need something like this for ;) Save you some google time

http://www.ipcas.com...fdd-to-udd.html

Many machines and devices are still using floppy disk drives as the only means of data input. CNC, milling, injection mold, or embroidery machines, laser cutting devices and integrated control systems, just to mention a few, are still being fed data with floppy disks several times a day

usb-floppy-ports.jpg

Now it makes perfect sense - good post, for those that might need this sort of thing!

2 people like this

Posted

We actually have one of those installed at college. I was really surprised seeing a floppy disk icon on the desktop since the computer didn't have a floppy drive installed. Mystery solved! :D