Windows 8 Rename Network

Answered Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 86
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 27 September 2012 - 21:35

You can set this via a DHCP server 015 DNS Domain Name for the entire network

I don't think so, because I set that option to local.lan - and as you saw in my test it showed up as network.
15 1+ Domain Name. RFC 2132

@PaCpiS glad the solution worked for you.

edit: Well I take that back, I might have to look into this a bit. Not sure if use that or option 81? Just looked at a quick sniff and looks like 81 not 15 is being used. Have to test that ;)

#17 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Emterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520 Black

Posted 27 September 2012 - 21:48

Posted Image

Odd it must be the DNS server then ? It happens whenever i connect a computer to the network via dhcp even without joining to the domain

#18 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 86
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 27 September 2012 - 22:55

I have not been able to find specifics on how that gets set? Anyone have link to document that states how that name gets determined? Looks like if wireless it might ssid, etc. But like on my wired interface its network, network 1, network 2, etc.. I clearly set the machine to be in a domain and hand out domain via dhcp -- might be option 81 though.. I think 15 is the old option, 81 is in a newer rfc.

But I clearly setup domain local.lan and is set on all my machines and dhcp, and dns -- used as search domain, etc. And never shows that for network name. But will test that option 15 to see what happens.

edit: have not been able to find a GOOD document on all the variables that come into play that are checked on how windows determines that your on a different network. I know its more than just gateway addess and mac, there are quite a few things looked at to setup the profile of the network, so that it knows if your on a different one and to ask if private or public and setup firewall rules. But have not seen a good writeup on how the process works.

#19 mahara

mahara

Neowinian

Posted 07 November 2012 - 19:00

Does MS provide any OFFICIAL statement on why this network renaming feature is being removed in Windows 8?

#20 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:05

..snip...

Another kudos for that tip (Y)

#21 mrp04

mrp04

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:22

Does MS provide any OFFICIAL statement on why this network renaming feature is being removed in Windows 8?

I don't think so. If they wanted to remove it, they should have made some other way to make the default printer (based on network) dialog usable.

#22 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:12

Mine says DD-WRT which is what my router is named in router settings, changing that should also change the name of the network right ?

Every router I've ever changed only changes the Wireless name, the ethernet name seems to almost always stay as the name of the manufacturer or even worse is given the generic name "Network".

If you were using only a switch to connect multiple machines then it would almost certainly display only the generic name.

on mine some of the wired clients pick it up as network and some of them pick it up the same as the wireless one called "pinkiepie" for the main network and "derpy" for the guest network....

#23 Zdenek Nejedly

Zdenek Nejedly

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:27

Hi there, same problem here and i found out the solution :)

Hit Winkey + R to open Run prompt and type gpedit.msc
Navigate to: Computer Configuration | Windows Settings | Security Setting | Network List Manager Policies

Choose your Network name from the right pane. Here you can change the NAME, if is PRIVATE or not, The ICON of the network and so on :)

#24 sachamo

sachamo

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:42

Thanx Budman This helped me out alot..

#25 jessicamills782

jessicamills782

Neowinian

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 20 March 2013 - 18:30

I've just been having a lot of trouble with Windows 8. Driver issues and what not. Beginning to think it isn't worth the effort!

#26 Jim Doyle

Jim Doyle

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 01 May 2013 - 18:37

Guys I had a heck of a time with this problem and finally found what I consider the best solution to it.

There is a quirk in the Windows 8 OS that will force your connection to to take on the name of the WIRELESS SID if you have BOTH Ethernet and wireless NIC cards/functionality in your PC (most do now) and the Ethernet card is unable to take its private IP from your wireless/hard-wired router. In my case my PC arrived from the factory with its own Ethernet private IP with DNS active. That made it unable to get its initial private IP from my router over the wired LAN and it was then able to connect on the wireless side. That had the obtuse effect of naming that Ethernet connection to the channel name of the wireless channel it was connected (mine is dual band/channel) to even though it was also set up as a hard wired lan connection.

I read all the advise about hand regediting the network profile names - but that is NOT the way to fix this problem and it leaves one open to corrupting the registry if you fat finger in the wrong keys. Those profile come and go like spam every time a new wireless connection comes into range (people walking by or driving by in the parking lot etc.). I learned the proper way to do this from this bright guy named Dmitri (http://dmitrychernik...4#comment-78578). The big confusion comes from the fact that there are THREE different names associated with a connection and these names are given to different conceptual levels of a network connection: 1) HW Adapter Name; 2) Gateway Name and ; 3) Network Name. Most people are being advised to edit the adapter & profiles names via regedit but need or want to change the latter NETWORK name so that all their old non-wireless LAN hardwired PCs at home can connect to the network that contains both wireless and Ethernet HW lines. To me it was just too "irrational" to connect an Ethernet LAN PC hardwire to a connection network auto-named by Windows 8 as "Wireless2.4Ghz" (the name my network initially took when it set up the connection over a wireless router channel rather than over its Hardwired LAN cable).

A lot of people simply forget to set up the network permissions and defaults from the administrator tool and this where all these changes can be made.

The proper way to edit the connection name is to go into the administrator utility and set it up proper there. Go into a PowerShell and type "secpol.msc" (or click Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy). Once here you simply edit the name you want and also all the other defaults that general non-admin users (if any) can tinker with so there's at least an initial definition for all fields of the connection record.

From the same utility you can also change the icons and images used to depict your network that is now named to something more endearing to you.

Saved me hours of head scratching and very simple solution that requires no hand editing of the register.

Best of Luck