Photo

How do disable transparency in Windows 8's taskbar?

win8

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 thomastmc

thomastmc

Unofficial Attorney of Neowin

• Phone: Lumia 928

Posted 30 August 2012 - 13:44

:o What have you done to windows 8 ?

The funny thing is, this has been my theme since install on Aug 6. I thought this was what everyone else was seeing too, as I knew the RTM UI was going to be different than RP. Ooops.

I have to say though, I like the translucent Taskbar and the window buttons more than the "Lite" theme. I'm going with it now.

#17 +devHead

devHead

Get Off The Bandwagon, Put Down The Handbook

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 30 August 2012 - 14:12

If you go to personalize settings you can set the window colour and transparency.

If you mean 'just the taskbar', then i'm sorry i don;t know.

There is no option anywhere in Windows 8 to set transparency. Another feature removed from this awesomely great operating system!!

There is no transparency on Window borders or the Taskbar in Windows 8 RTM... If you're using a preview the option controlling opacity is where it was in Windows 7, Personalization/Window Color.

If you're actually wanting to ENABLE transparency on the Taskbar and Window borders in Windows 8 RTM: http://www.intowindo...s-in-windows-8/

There is a slight transparency in the taskbar in Windows 8 RTM. But there is no way to adjust it's transparency or remove it.

#18 thomastmc

thomastmc

Posted 30 August 2012 - 14:15

There is a slight transparency in the taskbar in Windows 8 RTM. But there is no way to adjust it's transparency or remove it.

Read my previous post with screenshot.

#19 thomastmc

thomastmc

Posted 30 August 2012 - 14:23

My theme is synced from the RP when transparency was OFF, and the transparency is still here in the taskbar with RTM [snipped]

I believe the reason my theme synced to AeroLite instead of Aero is that I didn't just have transparency turned off, but was using a "Basic" theme in RP.

When I heard that the RTM was going to disable Aero (which turned out not to be all that true) I turned off Aero in the RP to see what it would be like. I wasn't all that disappointed and just never switched back.

Edited by Denis W, 01 September 2012 - 20:23.

#20 +devHead

devHead

Get Off The Bandwagon, Put Down The Handbook

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 30 August 2012 - 14:32

Read my previous post with screenshot.

Word. That's pretty interesting. Of course, I was mainly talking about how there's no setting anywhere that let's you switch off the slight transparency in the Taskbar.

#21 Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Neowinian

Posted 31 August 2012 - 15:43

:o What have you done to windows 8 ?

He switched to Aero Lite theme in Windows 8. This theme is ugly, because it makes the scroll bars look ugly, the close/minimize/maximize buttons look ugly, and everything else look ugly. The ribbon itself is ugly. The Aero lite is for the server version of Windows. It can also be synced to RTM if you have been using Aero lite in the RP version. The method he showed is way to complicated than the simple steps you can follow to get back this ugly looking Aero lite theme. Bing it (or google it) to see how to enable Aero Lite in Windows 8 RTM.

But seriously, there is no reason you should be using this ugly theme. You are giving up good UI controls in return for an opaque taskbar. Switch to the RTM theme and see how beautiful it looks compared to this server theme.

Also, the taskbar is transparent for eye candy. It follows the digitally authencticaty by being flat and "modern looking". It's not glass, but, rather, it is trying to show the wallpaper while keeping the taskbar vivid. Window boarders work better without transparancy because transparency with overlapping windows look ugly. And the transparency on task bar was intentional according to the MSDN blog.

#22 thomastmc

thomastmc

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:18

[snipped]

It wasn't as if I was trying to mislead anyone... It just turned out that I was both wrong and had serendipitously stumbled upon a working solution at the same time :huh:

Maybe a little conversation before making an accusation next time.

He switched to Aero Lite theme in Windows 8. This theme is ugly, because it makes the scroll bars look ugly, the close/minimize/maximize buttons look ugly, and everything else look ugly. The ribbon itself is ugly. The Aero lite is for the server version of Windows. It can also be synced to RTM if you have been using Aero lite in the RP version. The method he showed is way to complicated than the simple steps you can follow to get back this ugly looking Aero lite theme. Bing it (or google it) to see how to enable Aero Lite in Windows 8 RTM.

But seriously, there is no reason you should be using this ugly theme. You are giving up good UI controls in return for an opaque taskbar. Switch to the RTM theme and see how beautiful it looks compared to this server theme.

Also, the taskbar is transparent for eye candy. It follows the digitally authencticaty by being flat and "modern looking". It's not glass, but, rather, it is trying to show the wallpaper while keeping the taskbar vivid. Window boarders work better without transparancy because transparency with overlapping windows look ugly. And the transparency on task bar was intentional according to the MSDN blog.

Totally agree.

Edited by Denis W, 01 September 2012 - 20:24.

#23 Xerax

Xerax

Flashbomb

Posted 01 September 2012 - 20:07

It wasn't as if I was trying to mislead anyone... It just turned out that I was both wrong and had serendipitously stumbled upon a working solution at the same time :huh:

Telling someone "There is no transparency on Window borders or the Taskbar in Windows 8 RTM..." Is wrong, but someone who was reading, might think you were right, and then tell someone. Therefor "misleading others".

#24 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 01 September 2012 - 20:24

[Thread cleaned]

#25 thomastmc

thomastmc

Posted 02 September 2012 - 00:05

Telling someone "There is no transparency on Window borders or the Taskbar in Windows 8 RTM..." Is wrong, but someone who was reading, might think you were right, and then tell someone. Therefor "misleading others".

I didn't say that I wasn't wrong. I was wrong and of course that could be misleading.

You could simply say, "That's wrong", without an attack though. Not only was I not wrong because I "didn't know what I was talking about", the reason I was wrong was the solution.

It's just about common respect and manners, or as my grandfather used to say, decorum.

#26 revanmj

revanmj

Neowinian

• Phone: Galaxy Nexus

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:06

Posted Image

What are those weather and clock widgets at the top?

#27 thomastmc

thomastmc

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:32

What are those weather and clock widgets at the top?

I created a WPF application to mimic Active Desktop. What you see is a web page that is my desktop. It shows weather, time, emails, IMs, twitter, facebook, news feeds, calendar events, system performance, system notifications, and now playing info for Windows Media Player. It's also integrated into my web applications and allows me to manage them and other websites. It navigates and plays items from my media library and automatically embeds videos from YouTube, Hulu, Vimeo, and manually embedded videos from any website that has an embed player code.

It's a work in progress, usually for when I'm in between projects.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#28 revanmj

revanmj

Neowinian

• Phone: Galaxy Nexus

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:12

I hope that you are going to release it someday, because I really like it :)

#29 Sergey "hb860"

Sergey "hb860"

EdgeUI

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:47

Please see Opaque Taskbar for Windows 8 :rofl:

#30 nilofc

nilofc

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 27 June 2014 - 18:48

Right click on the Task Bar - Properties  - and Check (Use Peek Preview...."