nokia windows phone 8

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#91 OP George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 05 September 2012 - 16:48

I think they're going to show all at BUILD, I forget the exact date for it though atm. I also think they're doing so because phones should go on sale shortly after BUILD, so it's closer to the retail release of new WP8 hardware and thus will be fresher in peoples memories.

There's also a hands on for the Lumia 820 for those interested.

#92 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 05 September 2012 - 16:48

It looks metallic in pictures. My bad I guess.

Posted Image

You're right, it does look metallic in those pictures and if you watch The Verge's hands on video you can see that it has the same glossy surface as the Lumia 900. That's a bit of a shame because I prefer the matte finish of the Lumia 800.

#93 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 05 September 2012 - 16:51

Really liking the look of the 920 :)

Would love to know about some UK pricing for it!

#94 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 September 2012 - 16:54

Really liking the look of the 920 :)

Would love to know about some UK pricing for it!

My guess is somewhere between £450 and £500.

#95 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 05 September 2012 - 17:32

All I can say is I'm very amazed at Microsoft, not in a good way.

The only thing we know so far is that Windows Phone 8 still hasn't hit RTM and the rumors are now that it will RTM around Build later this year. Insane. This will kill Nokia's chance at really selling Lumia devices in 2012 and early 2013...

It is doubtful that these devices will hit US carriers anytime soon either as you're not going to get an RTM in late Nov. and shipping devices approved by carriers and in stores a few days later... Good bye Holiday Season 2012.

I think they're going to show all at BUILD, I forget the exact date for it though atm. I also think they're doing so because phones should go on sale shortly after BUILD, so it's closer to the retail release of new WP8 hardware and thus will be fresher in peoples memories.

There's also a hands on for the Lumia 820 for those interested.

Build is Oct 30-Nov 2...

#96 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 September 2012 - 17:37

Here's a 1080p hands-on from Nokia Conversations with some great shots of the Lumia 920.

#97 OP George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 September 2012 - 18:15

I think the carriers are already testing hardware with a near final version of the OS. Probably a RC build. It shouldn't change much so I doubt they have to wait for it to RTM before they can test it. Heck, we know they're testing the new iPhone 5 already and they haven't even shown it, no way it makes it through all the FCC stuff and comes out so quick otherwise.

I think they're close to done, and we've found out about newer devices mostly because they've went though and passed certification processes, like for Bluetooth etc. Once they do tell us which carriers will get what and when that means they've already tested them and have signed deals to sell them. I'm sure AT&T has had the 920 for a bit and is already checking it out.

#98 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

Posted 05 September 2012 - 18:20

I think the carriers are already testing hardware with a near final version of the OS. Probably a RC build. It shouldn't change much so I doubt they have to wait for it to RTM before they can test it. Heck, we know they're testing the new iPhone 5 already and they haven't even shown it, no way it makes it through all the FCC stuff and comes out so quick otherwise.

I think they're close to done, and we've found out about newer devices mostly because they've went though and passed certification processes, like for Bluetooth etc. Once they do tell us which carriers will get what and when that means they've already tested them and have signed deals to sell them. I'm sure AT&T has had the 920 for a bit and is already checking it out.

US Carriers are notorious for their ridiculous testing requirements. They won't sign off on the OS until they do test the RTM build. There is a reason it takes forever to get even simple updates like the KB fix deployed in the US (which still hasn't happened for a lot of users). I'm sure they are working with carriers as well, but they won't get a sign off until the get the RTM.

The iPhone is a unique case and can't be judged the same way. When a carrier agrees to sell the iPhone they sign multi-year contracts with Apple to buy millions of units. So the carriers have a very vested interest to approve any and all Apple updates as fast as possible because they have to pay Apple either way! AT&T could delay the iPhone 5 by two months to test the RTM build and lose market share to Verizon while buying millions of useless iPhone 4s if they want... Microsoft nor Nokia have that same luxury treatment.

#99 vetCalum

Calum

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 September 2012 - 18:29

Here's a video with Joe Belfiore that I found interesting, especially as he stated that Windows Phone 8 fulfils the vision they started out with for the "Metro UI" (ha, yes, he calls it the "Metro UI"):

Here's a video which shows some type of new video call interface (at 0:15). I'm interested to learn whether this is the Skype app, built-in Skype integration, or just a new phone call UI for Windows Phone 8:

#100 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

Posted 05 September 2012 - 18:36

Built in Skype was confirmed months ago. Actually, if you look at the video the Skype logo is in the call.

#101 vetCalum

Calum

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 September 2012 - 21:32

Everyone, I've just spotted this on the lock screen, on an image from the webcast: There are icons for Twitter and Facebook notifications and/or messages right on the lock screen! :o :D The lack of toast and lock screen Facebook notifications is one of my main gripes with Windows Phone 7.5—there is currently no way to be notified of new Facebook notifications; we have to either look at the Start screen every 30 minutes or actively check the Notifications section (toast notifications from the official Facebook application don't count because they hardly ever work for me, heh).

Is this new or am I missing something? I don't believe I've seen this image before, although this appears to be exactly what I had in mind (along with toast notifications). If this is a new feature of Windows Phone 8, I do hope the lock screen notifies us of new Facebook messages as well as notifications (receiving of offline Facebook messages hopefully integrated into the Messaging hub).

I have been very concerned that Windows Phone 8 might not include support for toast and lock screen Facebook notifications, considering the Windows 8 People app doesn't, and I will still be concerned until this is confirmed, but this image certainly does comfort me :)

Posted Image

Built in Skype was confirmed months ago. Actually, if you look at the video the Skype logo is in the call.

Thanks. I had heard that, but I couldn't see the Skype logo clearly, so I couldn't tell whether this was definitely the Skype integration they talked about or something else.

#102 grayscale

grayscale

Neowinian

Posted 05 September 2012 - 22:04

So, do you guys have the on-demand video link? :D

#103 OP George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 September 2012 - 22:08

So, do you guys have the on-demand video link? :D

http://t.co/ih3Av7En

Try this link.

#104 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 05 September 2012 - 22:10

No MicroSD card expansion on the 920 with a maximum of 32GB storage?
WTF Nokia!!!!

Some of us carry more media than that....

What I would have liked to have seen is a real premium device with 64GB of storage plus MicroSD....

Currently the ATIV S is my first choice of device, or an iPhone 5(?) 64GB. Nokia could have easily had my money....

#105 grayscale

grayscale

Neowinian

Posted 05 September 2012 - 22:10

http://t.co/ih3Av7En

Try this link.

Yes, I've seen that but I'm getting a:
"Request is missing required parameter"
I'll probably just wait until someone uploads it on Youtube.

Edit: Probably because I do not have Silverlight installed? Although that's not the usual error I get when going to Silverlight videos.