Nokia September 5th Event - Live Stream and Official Discussion

Everyone, I've just spotted this on the lock screen, on an image from the webcast: There are icons for Twitter and Facebook notifications and/or messages right on the lock screen! :o :D The lack of toast and lock screen Facebook notifications is one of my main gripes with Windows Phone 7.5?there is currently no way to be notified of new Facebook notifications; we have to either look at the Start screen every 30 minutes or actively check the Notifications section (toast notifications from the official Facebook application don't count because they hardly ever work for me, heh).

Is this new or am I missing something? I don't believe I've seen this image before, although this appears to be exactly what I had in mind (along with toast notifications). If this is a new feature of Windows Phone 8, I do hope the lock screen notifies us of new Facebook messages as well as notifications (receiving of offline Facebook messages hopefully integrated into the Messaging hub).

I have been very concerned that Windows Phone 8 might not include support for toast and lock screen Facebook notifications, considering the Windows 8 People app doesn't, and I will still be concerned until this is confirmed, but this image certainly does comfort me :)

pNKMU.jpg

Built in Skype was confirmed months ago. Actually, if you look at the video the Skype logo is in the call.

Thanks. I had heard that, but I couldn't see the Skype logo clearly, so I couldn't tell whether this was definitely the Skype integration they talked about or something else.

No MicroSD card expansion on the 920 with a maximum of 32GB storage?

WTF Nokia!!!!

Some of us carry more media than that....

What I would have liked to have seen is a real premium device with 64GB of storage plus MicroSD....

Currently the ATIV S is my first choice of device, or an iPhone 5(?) 64GB. Nokia could have easily had my money....

http://t.co/ih3Av7En

Try this link.

Yes, I've seen that but I'm getting a:

"Request is missing required parameter"

I'll probably just wait until someone uploads it on Youtube.

Edit: Probably because I do not have Silverlight installed? Although that's not the usual error I get when going to Silverlight videos.

The 820 should be for those who want more storage. Honestly I think the market for 64GB phones is smaller than some think. In a world where you can pretty much stream most content to your device (and now with LTE making it even better over your data connection) having to fill a device with loads of media seems less of an issue.

Also, don't forget that skydrive is going to get streaming music support, unless you're strapped for bandwidth on your data plan you can also upload a good chunk of content up there and stream it. Also a good bonus if you're like me and get the original 25GB free for being a long time skydrive user.

On another note, Verizon is said to be getting it's own tweaked Nokia device, maybe the one they end up with will have a 64GB option to pull ahead of what AT&T ends up with?

The 820 should be for those who want more storage. Honestly I think the market for 64GB phones is smaller than some think. In a world where you can pretty much stream most content to your device (and now with LTE making it even better over your data connection) having to fill a device with loads of media seems less of an issue.

Also, don't forget that skydrive is going to get streaming music support, unless you're strapped for bandwidth on your data plan you can also upload a good chunk of content up there and stream it. Also a good bonus if you're like me and get the original 25GB free for being a long time skydrive user.

On another note, Verizon is said to be getting it's own tweaked Nokia device, maybe the one they end up with will have a 64GB option to pull ahead of what AT&T ends up with?

Streaming is just not practical - for one thing it doesn't work on the London Underground, and my Train ride home where reception is non existent or patchy at best. I know I am somewhat of an edge case, but clearly there is a market otherwise there wouldn't be an iPhone that meets the need... if anyone understands the media consumption market, it's Apple.

:) You didn't but I was inferring that it doesn't bother me and if it does prove to be a problem then it's one for Microsoft and Nokia to worry about.

That goes without saying don't you think? It's not something I lie restless about in my bed either. That doesn't make it any less interesting to speculate about, which is partially why this forum is for.

You're right, it does look metallic in those pictures and if you watch The Verge's hands on video you can see that it has the same glossy surface as the Lumia 900. That's a bit of a shame because I prefer the matte finish of the Lumia 800.

it has both matte colours and glossy colours... i believe grey and black are matte.

can't remember where i heard, but i thought there was a 32GB limit on the SD cards for wp, hence you'll really only get 40GB at the end.

I know I've said this previously but gosh I really wish Nokia would have launched Android Lumia phones. I would have bought a Lumia 800 and probably upgraded to a Lumia 920 if it came with Android. No Android phone that I'm aware of comes with this new touch screen technology or built in wireless charging features and none of them look this good physically.

If you think about it, this industrial design won't go with any variation of Android UI. The stock UI on JB is still fugly and has multiple personalities. The best Nokia could do would have been porting the MeeGO stuff. :/

All I can say is I'm very amazed at Microsoft, not in a good way.

The only thing we know so far is that Windows Phone 8 still hasn't hit RTM and the rumors are now that it will RTM around Build later this year. Insane. This will kill Nokia's chance at really selling Lumia devices in 2012 and early 2013...

It is doubtful that these devices will hit US carriers anytime soon either as you're not going to get an RTM in late Nov. and shipping devices approved by carriers and in stores a few days later... Good bye Holiday Season 2012.

The RTM has been rumored for late September (something like a month after Windows 8). What makes you think the OS won't RTM till Nov?

Built in Skype was confirmed months ago. Actually, if you look at the video the Skype logo is in the call.

Skype is not built-in. I think the dialer now supports app integration. This is probably a good thing considering what AT&T is doing with Facetime. :s

Everyone, I've just spotted this on the lock screen, on an image from the webcast: There are icons for Twitter and Facebook notifications and/or messages right on the lock screen! :o :D The lack of toast and lock screen Facebook notifications is one of my main gripes with Windows Phone 7.5?there is currently no way to be notified of new Facebook notifications; we have to either look at the Start screen every 30 minutes or actively check the Notifications section (toast notifications from the official Facebook application don't count because they hardly ever work for me, heh).

Is this new or am I missing something? I don't believe I've seen this image before, although this appears to be exactly what I had in mind (along with toast notifications). If this is a new feature of Windows Phone 8, I do hope the lock screen notifies us of new Facebook messages as well as notifications (receiving of offline Facebook messages hopefully integrated into the Messaging hub).

I have been very concerned that Windows Phone 8 might not include support for toast and lock screen Facebook notifications, considering the Windows 8 People app doesn't, and I will still be concerned until this is confirmed, but this image certainly does comfort me :)

Thanks. I had heard that, but I couldn't see the Skype logo clearly, so I couldn't tell whether this was definitely the Skype integration they talked about or something else.

Yup, that screenshot is new to me as well but I do faintly remember that WP8 lets you select apps that show up on lock screen (similar to Windows 8).

[. . .]

Yup, that screenshot is new to me as well but I do faintly remember that WP8 lets you select apps that show up on lock screen (similar to Windows 8).

Thanks for letting me know about that rumour. I hadn't heard about it. I'm interested to learn whether the icons from this screenshot are those of the built-in apps or the separate official apps. After my dreadful experience with notification toasts from the separate Facebook app, I do hope this is from the built-in app :p Even then, though, notifications are only currently retrieved every 30 minutes, and that isn't good enough for me. I'd like to be notified instantly.

Either way, I expect to see the facebook app will see a massive update at some point to work better with WP8 itself. This however raises the question of how they'll handle WP8 specific apps in the marketplace. I suppose the simple thing to do is toss up a error message saying to WP7.x owners that this app doesn't support their device and that it's WP8 only. Probably what they'll do, much the same way they handle apps that aren't supported on tango 256MB handsets.

The lack of expandable memory doesnt concern me one iota. I only listen to music on my device and in my case use Spotify.. so as long as I have enough to cache a few albums then I'm golden.