myScoreboard, a Windows 8 scorekeeping app

Hello everyone,

I am currently developing an app and looking for feedback. The idea behind myScoreboard is best described in an example. Imagine you are at a sporting event without a way to keep score. I am trying to provide a platform where by you can keep score at most events. Currently, I have implemented the baseball scoreboard part of the app and will work on the football portion next. I have a blog where I'm trying to log my progress. Below is a video of the latest version of the app. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

At first I thought to myself why bother, most sporting events would already have a scoreboard, but I could see this possibly being used by parents of kids playing sports, or in high schools as another way to keep score and perhaps put on an LCD, projector, etc.

At first I thought to myself why bother, most sporting events would already have a scoreboard, but I could see this possibly being used by parents of kids playing sports, or in high schools as another way to keep score and perhaps put on an LCD, projector, etc.

Exactly. I actually came up with this idea after attending too many youth baseball games where there was either no scoreboard, or nobody running the scoreboard that was there.

For some reason I virtually puke every time I see "my" prefix.

Well that's not reassuring. It actually stems from the Windows Phone 7 app of the same name I made a while back.

Any thoughts on the app itself?

Looks good mate, the only thing I would suggest is it seems a bit un-intuitive clicking on the '1 2 3 4' header row...in metro typically those sorts of items would have a square outline too them (sort of thing) indicating they are active elements but maybe theres another way to reflect that? The table also looks a bit bunched up, maybe take advantage of the space more.

Other than that, keep pumping out the apps and showing us :)

Looks like a good start. A few suggestions, two of which are purely aesthetical and can be ignored if you wish.

1. If this is possible for you to do, perhaps an old school flip-style scoreboard for baseball. Where you can tap the numbers in the inning or total and have them flip over. This would mostly be an aesthetic thing, but could also serve the function of hinting where to tap or click.

2. Perhaps various colored backgrounds or backgrounds that look like the fields of their respective sports or actual digital or flip scoreboards as I said above.

3. Add Two Point conversions to the football scoreboard.

Outside of that looks like a good start.

Looks good mate, the only thing I would suggest is it seems a bit un-intuitive clicking on the '1 2 3 4' header row...in metro typically those sorts of items would have a square outline too them (sort of thing) indicating they are active elements but maybe theres another way to reflect that? The table also looks a bit bunched up, maybe take advantage of the space more.

Other than that, keep pumping out the apps and showing us :)

Thanks for the feedback. ATM I'm using simple textblocks for the numbers and I haven't found a way to do a light shade on the background when highlighted or even a border (within the textblock properties, maybe someone can point me in the right direction with this).

I can definitely spread the table out a bit. I'll be constantly working on this to try and get it ready for the store by launch.

Thanks for the feedback!

Looks like a good start. A few suggestions, two of which are purely aesthetical and can be ignored if you wish.

1. If this is possible for you to do, perhaps an old school flip-style scoreboard for baseball. Where you can tap the numbers in the inning or total and have them flip over. This would mostly be an aesthetic thing, but could also serve the function of hinting where to tap or click.

2. Perhaps various colored backgrounds or backgrounds that look like the fields of their respective sports or actual digital or flip scoreboards as I said above.

3. Add Two Point conversions to the football scoreboard.

Outside of that looks like a good start.

ATM I'm not skilled enough to figure out the flip style scoreboard, but it's something I want to learn in the future for sure. I am definitely looking to change the backgrounds before go-live and might need the help of an artist on that as I'm not too skilled with graphics.

The two point conversion I can add tonight (can't believed I covered a safety and not a two-point conversion ;)). Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it.

Looks good mate, the only thing I would suggest is it seems a bit un-intuitive clicking on the '1 2 3 4' header row...in metro typically those sorts of items would have a square outline too them (sort of thing) indicating they are active elements but maybe theres another way to reflect that?

I have decided to bold the number of the score you're changing. I'll post a video of the soccer scoreboard showing the change when I complete it. Should be within the next couple of hours.

Highlight the current inning or quarter. Put it in bold.

That's what I'm going to implement. I should have a video showing the functionality up in less than an hour. Thanks!

Here is a quick video showing the soccer scoreboard. A noticeable change is the bold text used to show the user what score he/she is changing. Please let me know what you think! Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

We are going to start using this one at our school for sports: http://www.digitalscout.com/

I think JUST keeping score isn't enough. You really should think about adding stats for people, and you might be headed in that direction already.

Eventually I would like to as my knowledge progresses. I am a student and I had a really great time learning how to develop a Windows Store app and dealing with all of the different viewstates for the many different devices. Also, this app is targeted more for parents and smaller events. That being said, I can see where tracking your childs stats over a season could be beneficial. Thank you for the feedback!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...