Aero-Glass Effect on Windows 8 RTM, by Re-instating the Aero Source Codes

Oh yeah, I was wondering, is there anyway to change the ribbon icons? I remember when the RP came out people said the icons couldn't be edited, any truth to this?

/windows/system32/imageres.dll :p

I removed ribbon btw

He should be adding back startmenu code instead.

There is already a working patch for this ^^, I recommend start8 myself btw

That's originated from : http://www.msfn.org/...r-windows-8-rtm

It's a win7 explorer franken-build by using patchex7 from MDL, infested with a lot of bugs.

Enough of the misinformation please, the DWM backend and Aero Glass have nothing to do with Windows Explorer. I've installed Tihiy's patch and it does nothing to the theming engine.

Go back to your glossy gray aluminum gel water OSX UI, and stop trolling the people who actually want an option to not have their eyes burned out.

He's not trolling, he's stating his opinion. Learn the difference.

-

From the readme:

SIGN-OUT SCREEN IS BLACK.

DO NOT OPEN/RUN Internet Explorer 10 WILL CRASH PC (BEST TO UNINSTALL IT).

NO USB STICKS WITH Aero Startup.cmd ENABLED. (MAY CRASH PC)

NO AUTO RESTART OR AUTO SHUT DOWN OR AUTO SIGN-OUT WITH Aero Startup.cmd ENABLED. (WILL NOT SIGN BACK IN INTO DESKTOP)

NO INSTALLING PROGRAMS WITH Aero Startup.cmd ENABLED. (MAY CRASH PC)

IF PERSONALIZATION/WINDOWS COLOR IS TURN-OFF RUN Aero Shutdown.cmd THEN SIGN-OUT & SIGN-IN & RUN Aero Startup.cmd.

MUST ALWAYS USE Aero Shutdown.cmd BEFORE SIGN-OUT OR SHUTTING DOWN OR RESTARTING PC.

USE Aero Startup.cmd WHEN SIGNED-IN OR RESTARTING PC TO DESKTOP.

Doesn't seem worth it in my opinion, and you have to use 7's explorer which doesn't support multi-monitors. And what's the point in converting 8 in 7 when you get just get/stick with 7. If there were a simpler solution than converting 8 into 7 I would pick it up instantly, but this is hardly worth it.

• Like 1

Enough of the misinformation please, the DWM backend and Aero Glass have nothing to do with Windows Explorer. I've installed Tihiy's patch and it does nothing to the theming engine.

Nope, I am not talking about Tihiy's patchex7, I am talking about the other apps that used patchex7 to make a franken-build as a base and trying to restore aero-glass, read Pana's post and also many other posts that reported on the bugs.

Aero Source Codes..... :s

LOL there aren't :p

Just some people copying windows 8 RC system files to RTM and trying to make those files work with some hacks :p

It works but it's buggy as hell xD

Hrmm, this gives me an idea. No idea if it'll work but I'll try it tomorrow. If it does work it will be FAR less buggy. Will report back.

I'll be waiting :p

Hrmm, this gives me an idea. No idea if it'll work but I'll try it tomorrow. If it does work it will be FAR less buggy. Will report back.

I tried to get it working with the dwm and some other aero related files from RP a while back but always ended up with a black screen. :/

I tried to get it working with the dwm and some other aero related files from RP a while back but always ended up with a black screen. :/

Yeah that's where I'm ending up. It sucks :/

Just some people copying windows 8 RC system files to RTM and trying to make those files work with some hacks :p

Is that not a security and stability flaw? You're moving beta files into a finished product. Buggy is all you're going to get. Best bet would be to develop a third party app that uses its own source.

That black screen plagues anyone who changes anything most the time. Even using a custom theme loaded from certain directories. DWM barely works in 8. Then again knowing Microsoft's general good-enough attitude it'll probably stay that way.

Is that not a security and stability flaw? You're moving beta files into a finished product. Buggy is all you're going to get. Best bet would be to develop a third party app that uses its own source.

It is buggy as hell ofcourse and yes it's partially plain stupid :p

And there's no source lol so no app to build >.>

That black screen plagues anyone who changes anything most the time. Even using a custom theme loaded from certain directories. DWM barely works in 8. Then again knowing Microsoft's general good-enough attitude it'll probably stay that way.

I hate doing system restore, could you maybe make a tool to fix the black screen or a guide so we don't need to system restore every time we mod something >.>

For everyone experimenting, do use a shell replacement such as explorer7. If you use the default explorer and accidentally kill DWM, you get a black screen. If you use a shell replacement, or even just kill explorer, then you'll be fine even if you break DWM. Unfortunately, this only applies to the user shell, and the login UI is still dependent on DWM. Turning on automatic logon can help in these cases.

I hate doing system restore, could you maybe make a tool to fix the black screen or a guide so we don't need to system restore every time we mod something >.>

Problem is detecting it and then how to reverse it.

Problem is detecting it and then how to reverse it.

What about a app that restores all system files to default and changes the problematic regitery keys to default on a key combination?

We could run this app in the background and then when there is a black screen press "ALT+CRTL+SHIFT+R" to restore the system files and registery stuff, since we can't see any windows the app could shutdown the system after restore.

This kind of a app would be handy anyway in whatever situation you messed up system files and aren't able to do anything anymore in the OS.

Hey - excuse me if I have some troubles reading - but have anyone of you actually made glass work in RTM? I just wanted to install RTM along with my RP and try to mix some files - but I have a hunch it would be a huge waste of time.

I see no reason why did they removed glass. Explaining it with performance reasons is absurd. On any desktop or even laptop PC the performance cost of this effect is next to zero. And even if it would be noticeable on some extremely slow PC-s - it should be the users choice. It could be disabled by default and enabled on demand. On Windows 2008 Server R2 it's optional - you can choose it during installation.

And about the performance - I have quite old PC and lots of heavy applications installed on my Windows 8 RP. It's very noticeably faster than Windows 7. Since I've installed it - I can't use Windows 7 any more, because it's too slow. Now I have the same set of drivers and startup programs on both of 7 & 8. So this is the huge reason to move to Windows 8. But I can't imagine how RTM is to be better than RP? OK, I've found some bugs related to standby / hibernation in RP - but they are minor.

• 3 months later...

Hey - excuse me if I have some troubles reading - but have anyone of you actually made glass work in RTM?

I agree with you. The link to that post at MSFN does not work anymore, and I bet that China guy scammed us since due to the lower build number in the screenshot, and the fact that it has been months since he said that he will release that patch.

I see no reason why did they removed glass. Explaining it with performance reasons is absurd. On any desktop or even laptop PC the performance cost of this effect is next to zero. And even if it would be noticeable on some extremely slow PC-s - it should be the users choice. It could be disabled by default and enabled on demand. On Windows 2008 Server R2 it's optional - you can choose it during installation.

I also agree. The removal of Aero and some compatibility problems are the only things that I hate about Windows 8.

And by the way, this glichy version of Aero is not enough for some people, like me, but I discovered that Snipping Tool, for some reason does not have the glichy borders.

• 1 month later...