New Job with HP

I've finished 4 years of Uni with a 2:1 in Business and Information Technology.

And straight out got a graduate job with HP as a Technology Consultant :)

• Like 3

Haha, yeah I'll be put on projects for customers, implementing solutions...I know it sounds quite vague and that's because it is...could be an upgrade of servers to a new OS or replacing existing ones with new one ones, exchange migration, completely new network infrastructure, etc...But basically implementing services that HP offer. I'm still on my induction atm..so I'll have a better idea in a month when I'm actually put on my 1st project.

"Technology Consultant" will end up being "Guy who reads from CRM database and makes cold calls to tech companies and try to get their IT Directors/Tech buyers on the lines in an effort to sell them hardware/solutions"

Which I hope isn't the case for you...

• Like 1

"Technology Consultant" will end up being "Guy who reads from CRM database and makes cold calls to tech companies and try to get their IT Directors/Tech buyers on the lines in an effort to sell them hardware/solutions"

Which I hope isn't the case for you...

Haha, no I'm deff not sales, that's a whole separate department...I just go and do/install the things they sell.

Congrats man. Sounds like a damn good start right out of school, and at the very least will look good on your resume. However I imagine HP is probably a company you would want to stick around in for awhile. Probably plenty of opportunities to move in to once you get a few years under your belt.

Watch out, I've got a few friends that work for HP and have for the past 10+ years and they are constantly threatening random employees with being laid off even ones that have hired recently. Not trying to ruin your special moment but they are not exactly a stable company to be working for at the current moment.

Congrats!! I work at Foxconn here in Indiana, and all we do is build HP computers for HP business customers. Worksations, Desktops, and some servers.

Watch out, I've got a few friends that work for HP and have for the past 10+ years and they are constantly threatening random employees with being laid off even ones that have hired recently. Not trying to ruin your special moment but they are not exactly a stable company to be working for at the current moment.

Yeah obviously there was the 27000ish employee layoff the other month, but apparently our department is and has been growing for many years and show no sign of stopping. Plus we're fairly cheap to charge to a customer (making our work cost less than competitors), willing to learn and quite flexible...so we should be OK.

Congratulations! :happy: Do you have any time to relax, after your 4 years of hard work, before you start your new position?

Yeah finished Uni in May (on star wars day!) and I started Tuesday just gone so had a few months to relax and enjoy my last months of freedom lol.

Congrats mate!

I gather that HP's business systems division is very strong, so play your cards right, work your way up the ladder, and you should be set for a great career!

Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...